New Releases, Promotion, Reunions, Newcomers etc.
Metal News / Promotion » Megadeth - news thread
  • http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/megade ... ht-of-day/
    MEGADETH's Previously Unreleased Video For 'Back In the Day' Sees Light Of Day
    September 15, 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv-ayWDnW5s

Topics Solved: 774

Drummer SHAWN DROVER Quits MEGADETH * news*

http://assets.blabbermouth.net/media/shawndroverindia2014_638.jpg

Drummer SHAWN DROVER Quits MEGADETH
    November 25, 2014
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/drumme ... -megadeth/

MEGADETH drummer Shawn Drover has released the following statement:

"After 10 years, I have decided to quit MEGADETH to pursue my own musical interests.

"I want to thank Dave Mustaine and the entire MEGADETH family, as well as thanking all the amazing MEGADETH fans around the world!!! I truly appreciate all of you.

"Stay tuned for info on my next musical journey."

During a January 2012 interview with Legendary Rock Interviews, Drover was asked to recount the very unusual story of how he joined MEGADETH. "It was 2004 and my brother Glen was in the band as their guitar player," Shawn said. "They were in rehearsals for their tour and I was in contact with him every day and checking on him and stuff and seeing how things were going.

"The situation just came up where they didn't want Nick [Menza, former drummer] in the band anymore, so I came home and my brother got hold of me and said, You better sit down.' And I was like, 'Why? What's going on?' And Glen was like, 'Well, they want you on the next plane to come out here.' [laughs] This was six days before the first day of the tour, so to be honest with you, that was quite a shock, you know, and I was just like, 'Jesus, man,' because I was well aware of when the tour was starting. So I called my wife and filled her in real quick and I was on a plane bound for Arizona a few hours later to rehearse with the band. We rehearsed for four days, travelled the fifth day, and the sixth day was the first show of the tour.

"It was quite a daunting task, but looking back now, I probably wouldn't want to do it any other way. It was pretty cool and I really didn't have time to freak out or be nervous or anything like that. I was so focused on learning the songs that I didn't know yet, they had just put out 'The System Has Failed' and I hadn't heard a note of it at all because it was just released. I tried to learn and cram as much material as I could in those four days of rehearsal.

"The first show was in front of thousands of kids and was off the hook; it was a great show. It's funny, because for some reason, the barricades weren't up at that venue and the kids were jumping all over the stage and going crazy. I guess nobody remembered to, or whatever, so it turned into an old-school MEGADETH thrash show with kids stagediving and the whole bit, so I thought that was how it was going to be all the time, which was fine by me, you know, because I am definitely from that era. [laughs] Come to find out someone messed up and everyone was like, 'What happened to the barricade?' and I was like, 'Oh, OK….' [laughs] It was pretty funny and I have a lot of fond memories of that time. It was nerve-wracking, of course, but it was so exciting and I was just so focused on learning that it kind of all worked out."

MEGADETH's latest album, 2013's "Super Collider", arrived in stores via mainman Dave Mustaine's new label, Tradecraft, distributed by Universal Music Enterprises (UMe).

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/drumme ... RKZ4ykG.99
    FORUM MOD!

DAVE LOMBARDO Reportedly Open To Replacing SHAWN DROVER In MEGADETH * news*

http://assets.blabbermouth.net/media/davelombardophilmpromo2014new_638.jpg
    DAVE LOMBARDO Reportedly Open To Replacing SHAWN DROVER In MEGADETH
    November 26, 2014
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dave-l ... -megadeth/
    A BLABBERMOUTH.NET vistor by the name of Philip L. has filed the following report:

"I have just returned from [former SLAYER and current PHILM drummer Dave] Lombardo's clinic in Geneva, Switzerland (on November 26), which was very impressive.

"During the autograph session, Dave made it clear that he was open to the possibility of joining MEGADETH if the invitation were extended to him.

"As Dave was signing my copy of FANTÔMAS' 'The Director's Cut', I mentioned that MEGADETH are in need of a new drummer as of yesterday. Lombardo looked up with a big smile and said, before a number of other fans (verbatim): 'I know. I just heard. Dave [Mustaine] has my number, so I'm waiting.' He looked up at us, grinned, and moved on to sign the next fan's item. He might have made this reply in jest, but if nothing more, this indicates that Lombardo is open to the possibility of replacing MEGADETH's Shawn Drover. He appeared genuinely interested in the opportunity.

"Lombardo stated during the clinic that he has touring plans with his new project, PHILM, in the immediate future, but he didn't mention this in his reply to me concerning the MEGADETH slot.

"If Dave Mustaine is interested and were to reach out to him, there are strong chances that Dave Lombardo would consider collaborating with MEGADETH, especially now that he is no longer a member of SLAYER.

"Other matters discussed:

* Dave mentioned that he is often called 'Il Padrino' ('The Godfather') by the younger generation of metal drummers who consider him an innovator and the first extreme metal drummer.

* Dave appreciates extreme metal drumming and enjoys borrowing some of its techniques (he used blast beats on 'Christ Illusion', for example), while remembering that he in many ways paved the way for it. He described his attitude to it as a give-and-take relationship.

* Lombardo mentioned that he is self-taught, and a very open-minded musician. He grew up listening to jazz, classic R&B and Cuban music, to which he added fast beats by hitting pots and pans in the kitchen as a child. He mentioned that he began that particular day by listening to Andrea Bocelli. Lombardo in fact ended the clinic by adding double-bass and SLAYER-style drumming over a Ray Charles track.

* He doesn't recommend smoking as a drummer...

* One of his worst experiences was a near-miss accident in the '80s when he lost control over his vehicle and the car started sliding on ice (the car was also occupied by Jeff Hanneman, Kerry King and a crew guy).

* Lombardo didn't use clicks while recording any of the SLAYER albums (including 'Reign In Blood'!)

* When asked about Lars Ulrich's drumming, he smiled and said: 'Oh no, not again. I can't say anything about this anymore. No comment.'"

Drummer Shawn Drover quit MEGADETH yesterday (Tuesday, November 25) "to pursue [his] own musical interests." His statement can be found at this location.

Guitarist Chris Broderick announced his departure from MEGADETH a few hours later, saying that he was exiting the group "due to artistic and musical differences."
    FORUM MOD!

Suicidal Tendencies Recruit Dave Lombardo For Megadeth Tour

http://www.antimusic.com/news/16/Februa ... Tour.shtml

On Monday Suicidal Tendencies Recruit Dave Lombardo For Megadeth Tour was a top story. Here is the recap: Suicidal Tendencies have announced that they have recruited former Slayer star Dave Lombardo to play drums for them on their upcoming tour with Megadeth, Children of Bodom, and Havok, which kicks off this week.

The band had this to say, "SxTx is beyond excited to announce the legendary Dave Lombardo will be playing drums for Suicidal on the upcoming Megadeth tour! You know what that means....it's gonna be CYCO and BRUTAL!"

Suicidal Tendencies will be joining Megadeth for the bulk of the trek beginning on February 26th in Las Vegas, NV at The Pearl and playing their last show on the tour on March 21st in Boston at the House of Blues

The full Megadeth tour kicked off this past Saturday (February 20th) in Dallas and is set to conclude on March 24th in Quebec, QC. Two Honolulu dates on March 2nd and 3rd will feature only Megadeth.

Suicidal Tendencies have announced their own headline shows for those dates. They will play Bend, OR on March 2nd at the Domino Room and Seattle at the Showbox the next night. -
    Suicidal Tendencies Tour Dates (all shows with Megadeth unless noted)
    02/26 The Pearl - Las Vegas, NV
    02/27 Comerica Theatre - Phoenix, AZ
    02/28 Hollywood Palladium - Los Angeles, CA
    02/29 Warfield Theatre - San Francisco, CA
    03/02 Domino Room - Bend, OR (ST headline show)
    03/03 The Showbox - Seattle, WA (ST headline)
    03/05 South Okanagan Events Centre - Penticton, Canada
    03/06 Grey Eagle Event Centre - Calgary, Canada
    03/08 EnCana Events Centre - Dawson Creek, Canada
    03/09 Rexall Place - Edmonton, Canada
    03/10 Mosaic Place - Moose Jaw, Canada
    03/12 Myth - Maplewood, MN
    03/13 Aragon Ballroom - Chicago, IL
    03/15 Rapids Theatre - Niagara Falls, NY
    03/16 Terminal 5 - New York, NY
    03/17 Terminal 5 - New York, NY
    03/19 Sands Bethlehem Event Center - Bethlehem, PA
    03/20 Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
    03/21 House of Blues - Boston, MA

Megadeth dates without Suicidal Tendencies:
    2/20 - Dallas, TX - South Side Ballroom
    2/21 - Houston, TX - Bayou Music Center
    2/23 - Denver, CO - The Fillmore Auditorium
    2/24 - Salt Lake City, UT - The Complex
    3/2 - Honolulu, HI - The Republik
    3/3 - Honolulu, HI - The Republik
    3/23 - Bangor, ME - Cross Insurance Center
    3/24 - Quebec, QC - Centre Videotron

• 1 likes this
    FORUM MOD!

MEGADETH To Tour U.S. With AMON AMARTH, METAL CHURCH, HAVOK

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/megadeth-to-tour-u-s-with-amon-amarth-metal-church-havok/
    June 23, 2016
    http://assets.blabbermouth.net/media/megadethdirksanantonio2016_2_638.jpg

MEGADETH will team up with AMON AMARTH, METAL CHURCH and HAVOK for a U.S. tour in the fall, BLABBERMOUTH.NET can reveal. The trek, which is expected to include an as-yet-undisclosed fifth band, will last for five weeks.

MEGADETH's last full U.S. tour took place earlier in the year and featured support from SUICIDAL TENDENCIES, CHILDREN OF BODOM and HAVOK.

MEGADETH is continuing to tour in support of its fifteenth album, "Dystopia", which shifted 49,000 equivalent album units in the U.S. in the week ending January 28. In terms of pure album sales, it opened with 48,000 copies, marking MEGADETH's highest-charting album since 1992's "Countdown To Extinction" debuted and peaked at No. 2 on the chart dated August 1 of that year. "Dystopia" also logged the group's best sales week since 2007, when "United Abominations" landed at No. 8 with first-week sales of 54,000.

MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine recently spoke to Kerrang! Radio about the band's drummer situation after recently recruiting Dirk Verbeuren (SOILWORK) to play drums for the group while Chris Adler is busy touring with LAMB OF GOD.

"We'll see what happens for the future as we grow closer as a band," he said. "We're still trying to figure out what we're gonna do with our drum position. It's great having Dirk here. He's been really wonderful to play with also. So there's not a shortage of great players out there, and we're gonna make our decision real soon."

Adler played drums on "Dystopia" and has taken part in most of the band's live shows in support of the CD so far. On some of the shows where Adler was unable to play with MEGADETH, he was temporarily replaced by Tony Laureano (ex-DIMMU BORGIR, NILE, ANGELCORPSE), the veteran extreme-metal skinsman who has worked as MEGADETH's drum tech since 2011.

Verbeuren was recommended for the MEGADETH job by Adler, who called Dirk "probably [one of the] top three drummers in the world."

• 1 likes this
    FORUM MOD!

LOGIN / REGISTER TO BE ABLE TO COMMENT ON POSTS + VOTE TO SEE HIDDEN LINKS

« Return to Metal News / Promotion