• https://i.imgur.com/maZCzfW.png

Artist: Ztormtrooper
    Release: Demo (1980)
    Genre: NWOBHM
    Bitrate: Lossless (WAV)
    Hidden Link
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recorded 10/10/1980

Forgive me but this is my first upload. Recorded this in WAV and in one piece. Feel free to improve. Feels as raw as when it was recorded which is of course what the scene was all about. These were my local band along with Toad The Wet Sprocket, Clientelle, Bleak House & Tobruk, bands they often played with. To date never seen anything by them so a real discovery for you. I have a live tape to put on next. I have fond memories of them at Blowin's, a disused church which was a punk and rock venue for a short time. I have somewhere a review of the band which includes line up but I seem to remember the band spawned Valhalla, Ztorm and proggier bands like Axis (yes another band called Axis), Storyteller, Nexus & Walking on Ice. IMHO this band defines the NWOBHM scene perfectly!! Does it get much better than this???

Strapped for cash I had to sell all my demos, singles for peanuts but have still got a box of live gigs to share, probably not much NWOBHM but early gigs from Marillion & IQ etc if you are interested. There lots of stuff that I want to get back so if you can help please contact me!!
    1. Before The Storm
    2. In Search of Forever
    3. Black Stallion
    4. Flames of Oblivion
    5. After the Ztorm
    United Kingdom (uk) Male
    Name: mike

Topics Solved: 0

Damned, Mike where have you been so far?

If the band is spelled like you´re stating, this is the most essential release I´ve seen here for a long time.
    I hope you didn´t mix it up with some of the other Stormtrooper bands from UK.
    Found no information at all on the web, nor something that would fit to any Stormtrooper (UK), so for me it looks like it´s up for the very first time(?!).
    So this is your forum, that´s exactly where this gem belongs to.

Can you provide further information to this release?
    Like line-up, demo cover scans (photo), recording studio, band logo or any vintage band photos.

http://i.imgur.com/XpCID5r.png or http://i.imgur.com/062S6uW.png
    Please don´t forget to use the proper buttons if you want to download from others - you can expect all other members to do this also.
    You´ll see your negative reputation (-27 as of now) will soon be gone - this offer alone deserves it!
    I´ll start with a 2 times +5 to get rid of this ballast.

salivatears wrote:… I have a live tape to put on next. …
    …but have still got a box of live gigs to share, probably not much NWOBHM but early gigs…

Just keep your pearls coming! - This is the right place to upload your rarities to a tasteful & thankful audience!

Edit (1): Just heard into it. - Man - this is the good stuff, highly recommanded!
    Edit (2): This seems to have 6 tracks (including the intro and outro). Do you know the missing song title?
    Secondly, shoudn´t track #1 be called "Before the Ztorm"? ;)
    FORUM MOD!
    Austria (at) Male

Topics Solved: 926

Dang, this is super cool. As RW said, if you had photos of it and found that lineup and such that would just make this even cooler. Excellent first upload, Mike.
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
    Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 16

Thanks very much for the upload & your recollections Mike, it's a new find for me.
    Here's a bit of info i found online which supports some of Mike's memories:

Based in the south of England, Dave 'Ryka' Howard is a Vocal Entertainer who performs in clubs, Hotels and private venues singing a variety of songs from the 50's to the present day.
    Also known as Dave Howard or Ryka, Dave started singing at the age of 15 and worked with various rock bands throughout the 1980's including Ztormtrooper, Valhalla (signed to Neat Records) 1982 & 1984, Armed Forces, Shattered, Krysis and Egypt (signed to HTD Records) 1988.
    Dave also worked with the function band Mixed Feelings during the 1990's.
    Dave also sang on the album Vital Sines (Minority One Records) 1997.

Original post can be found here:
    http://www.answers.com/Q/Who_is_Dave_Ryka_Howard

So if this 'Ryka' fella was indeed the Ztormtrooper singer then there's more info out there.
    Try these links for starters:

http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/D ... ard/325363

http://www.discogs.com/artist/2151342-Dave-Howard-5

I'll do some more digging & see what else i can find out.
    Where's Boris when you need him? He probably has home addresses & phone no.s for all the band members.
    ;)

• 2 likes this
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

Egypt used to have Myspace page. Maybe facebook members could help? He ought to have page there. Maybe we could try some youtube channels.
    Bringer of Steel

Topics Solved: 65

Here's the band line up for Ztorm as it was when they contributed the track 'Evensong' to the compilation LP 'The Quest Tapes' in 1982.
    If they & Ztormtrooper are indeed related, as seems likely, then there must be some overlap in the band members if anyone feels like doing some extra digging.

Paul Snoxell - Lead Vocals & Guitar
    Stewart Milner - Bass & Vocals
    Ursula Morris - Keyboards
    Pete Salt - Drums

Annoyingly, all the other bands on that compilation LP got 2 songs each, with only Ztorm contributing just one track.
    It's a bit more prog/pomp than the Ztormtrooper demo, but i really like it:

Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

riptorn wrote:Here's the band line up for Ztorm as it was when they contributed the track 'Evensong' to the compilation LP 'The Quest Tapes' in 1982.
    If they & Ztormtrooper are indeed related, as seems likely, then there must be some overlap in the band members if anyone feels like doing some extra digging.

Pete Salt - Drums

Annoyingly, all the other bands on that compilation LP got 2 songs each, with only Ztorm contributing just one track.

I think that all these bands are strictly related...probably when they changed one of the musicians they changed also the name...
    for example in Luton there was a band called Nexus in the same period and 3/4 of the line up was the same of Ztorm as reported here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=316071

also once there was a website with pics and info about these bands but everything was deleted...

http://www.alchemy.lpfuse.co.uk/stewart.htm

P.S. i'm quite sure this guy was in the band...born in 1959 and still living in Luton he's also a bass player,if someone would like to
    contact him...

https://www.facebook.com/stewartmilner1
    Name: Marco

Topics Solved: 70

Artist: Ztormtrooper
    Release: Demo
    Genre: NWOBHM
    Bitrate: VBR V0 256k
    ►Dead Link
    salivatears dub from LP to WAV

I separated the tracks and ReEncoded to MP3
    1. Before The Storm
    2. In Search of Forever
    3. Black Stallion
    4. Flames of Oblivion
    5. After the Ztorm

• 20 likes this
    United States (us) Male 

Topics Solved: 4

Have you guys seen this?

Info from video: Ztormtrooper were from Luton, my hometown, and were the first band I saw in an intimate small venue, in fact a disused Victorian church. IMHO this band defines the NWOBHM era with it's youth, rawness & DIY attutude.

Kevin Kershaw
    Many thanks for posting......I had lost any copies I had on this or probably over-recorded the cassette copy I had all those years ago....I was the Bass Player and remember the gig well - it was our second gig but probably the first proper one out in the real world!

Duvall Dee
    Do know of any copies still "out there"? Do you remember how many copies you guys distributed, approximately (if in fact you did)?

Kevin Kershaw
    It never got released to my knowledge - it wasn't until we morphed into Valhalla that us guys got some minor success by getting a deal with Neat Records.

http://i.imgur.com/weLI8gV.png

From: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 976&type=3

Band: ZTORMTROOPER
    City: Luton
    Active: ?

Members:
    Dave "Ryka" Howard – Vocals (Valhalla, Krysis, Shattered, Egypt, Armed Forces)
    Paul Snoxell - Guitar (Ztorm)
    Alan Newell - Guitar
    Kevin Kershav - Bass (Black Tiger, Krysis, Valhalla)
    Mick Simkins - Drums (Krysis, Valhalla)

Ex Members:
    Ian Mayles - Drums

Demo, 1980
    Dave Howard - Vocals, Paul Snoxell - Guitar, Al Newell - Guitar, Kevin Kershav - Bass, Mick Simkins - Drums

1. Before The Storm
    2. In Search Of Forever
    3. Black Stallion
    4. Flames Of Oblivion
    5. After The Ztorm

thank you Mr Kevin Kershaw for photos

SEE ALSO:
    BLACK TIGER (Hatfield) https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 155&type=1
    VALHALLA (Luton) https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 122&type=1

http://i.imgur.com/ub6bm1T.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/D5g0dVp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xuLfJ99.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zJPEo7M.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gLDYHDk.jpg

• 2 likes this
    Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
    Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1420

Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
    Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1420

Well, I stumbled across this courtesy of Google. I'm Paul Snoxell and I was the guitar player in Ztormtrooper. Reading the posts here brought back a lot of memories. I can fill in many of the gaps regarding the Ztormtrooper > Ztorm > Axis > Alaska > Nexus transformation if anyone's interested. More specifically regarding the Ztormtrooper demo, I can tell you about the studio and some of the gear we used, etc. Again, if you're interested, let me know?

• 1 likes this
    Random avatar
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

Ztormtrooper wrote:Well, I stumbled across this courtesy of Google. I'm Paul Snoxell and I was the guitar player in Ztormtrooper. Reading the posts here brought back a lot of memories. I can fill in many of the gaps regarding the Ztormtrooper > Ztorm > Axis > Alaska > Nexus transformation if anyone's interested. More specifically regarding the Ztormtrooper demo, I can tell you about the studio and some of the gear we used, etc. Again, if you're interested, let me know?

Welcome aboard Paul. Nice to have you here.
    Any recollections about the band's history or recordings that you wish to share would be very welcome, we love all that minutae here.
    Are you still in touch with any of the other band members?
    (cheers1)
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Thanks for the warm welcome.

No, it's been quite some time since I've had much contact with the band. Michael and I did some recording subsequent to the Ztomtrooper/Ztorm/Valhalla split and remained on good terms. We caught up with each other again for the first time a few years ago and went to a couple of gigs but I've since moved away and we've lost touch again. I'll e-mail him and see if he has anything he'd like to contribute here.

There is, of course, the story of "the split" still to come, so it would be good to get the various views on what happened and why.

Back to the demo, I can give quite a lot of information so I'll be brief and follow up with more later.

The demo was recorded at Don Larkin's "Piper Studios" at 33 Guildford Street, in Luton. Alan Newell had quit, if I remember rightly, pretty much on the day of the first session. I think we went to pick him up and his mum said he'd gone out and wasn't coming! So, all the guitar work was by me.

John Baccini was the engineer and we basically produced it by ourselves with his help.

At that point I think my guitar was still a cherry sunburst Les Paul copy, and it developed a v annoying earth buzz so I ended up using Baccini's white Telecaster, but it had really heavy gauge strings and a high action, and I was playing on Extra Slinkies with a low action so it was a struggle to do any bends. Pedal-wise, I was at that time using a Cry Baby wah, Electro Harmonix Phaser, Electro Harmonix Linear Power Booster, Electric Mistress Flanger and Carlsboro digital echo and what I seem to remember was a Colorsound Overdrive distortion pedal, but I remember it being grey and looking at pictures online right now I don't see anything similar, so maybe I'm not getting that right. [Edit - I've found it now - it was a Colorsound Tone Bender] On "After the Ztorm" I also borrowed the studio's E-bow. My amp was an old Selmer valve combo with reverb, that used to belong to The Bachelors. Dave and I had cut it down in his dad's garage, taken the middle out and put it back together as a head unit. I was using an Orange 4x12 cab.

Kevin, I think, by then had a beautiful red Rickenbacker bass but I don't recall his amplification. I think he also had a distortion pedal of some sort.

Michael was using a huge Tama kit, with double bass drums and full concert toms, the whole nine yards. I can't remember what cymbals. He'd written off his car and used the insurance money to buy the kit! That's when David and I first met him, filling up his new car outside Luton Music Centre. We just had to have him in the band! Most of the morning session was basically Mike setting up his kit.

The keyboard parts were played by Ursula Morris, my girlfriend at that time, who will be mentioned later in the Ztorm recollections. The piano was an old box standard upright in the studio and the string synthesizer was an Elka Rhapsody, which we subsequently bought from the studio when we started up Ztorm.

Writing credits:

"Before the Storm" music Paul Snoxell
    "In Search of Forever" music Alan Newell, lyrics Paul Snoxell
    "Black Stallion" music Kevin Kershaw & Paul Snoxell, lyrics Kevin Kershaw
    "Flames of Oblivion" music & lyrics Kevin Kershaw
    "After the Ztorm" music Paul Snoxell

I'll try and recall some details of the sessions but after we had the final mix tape I telephoned and somehow blagged a meeting with a guy at Island Records, and Mike and I went to see him with the tape. He very graciously listened to the whole thing before politely telling us that it wasn't really Island's thing. However, he made a call and arranged for us to go and see Bronze Records, where we went with a bit more hope and anticipation. This guy told us he'd just signed Hawkwind from United Artists, so we thought we were in the right place. Unfortunately, all we came away with were some kind words and the buzz of just having been to see some real life A&R men at a record company.

Hope that's interesting for now - I'll come back in a few days with some more if you'd like?

• 3 likes this
    Random avatar
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

Thanks very much for all the background info Paul, i find all this stuff fascinating & you don't often get this kind of detail in features or articles on bands of your vintage or relative stature.
    I must congratulate you on your powers of recall too, i can't remember what i had for my dinner last night never mind recalling what gear a bandmate was using nearly 40 years ago! Impressive.
    Also didn't expect to find a link between the NWoBHM and The Batchelors!
    Who knew they were so influential? Lol.
    Sounds like the A & R guy at Island & the fella he put you on to at Bronze both treated you pretty well, which makes a pleasant change from the usual stories of young bands dealing with 'the biz'.
    I take it you were all quite young at the time the band was together, what with your absent guitarist relaying the news of his departure through his mum?
    You should be very proud of the recordings as they've stood the test of time remarkably well, particularly as it sounds from your recollections like you were out of your comfort zone using unfamiliar borrowed gear in the studio and having to double up the guitar parts on your own. You really wouldn't know from the finished results.
    (listenmu2)
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

nonseinormale65 wrote:
    riptorn wrote:Here's the band line up for Ztorm as it was when they contributed the track 'Evensong' to the compilation LP 'The Quest Tapes' in 1982.

Pete Salt - Drums

From memory there were two reasons why we only had the one track, either or both may or may not be incorrect!

The first potential answer is this...

The original Ztorm line-up was

Paul Snoxell - Lead vocals & guitar
    Stewart Milner [my musical soulmate] - Bass & vocals
    Gary Lockyer - Drums

Stewart and Gary had been the rhythm section behind a band called Moonstone, which was a 3 piece including John Payne on lead vocals and guitar. John went on to be the bass player and frontman of Asia.

We originally recorded "Evensong" with that line-up but there was something not quite right about it. Gary left and we recruited Peter Salt to deputise from "Axis" which now featured Alan Newell on guitar. Ursula by now worked as an assistant engineer at Quest Studios and she managed to persuade them to allow us to re-record, hence we actually had two sessions but ended up with just one track.

The second contender is that the song was too long and exceeded the amount of track time available for each artist.

The likelihood is, it was a bit of both.

As a bit more inside scoop, the second version that was included with the album was co-produced by us, Dave Cook of Quest Studios and Clive Bunker, the original drummer for Jethro Tull and I think around that time was in Steve Hillage's band.

At the risk of going any further off topic, I will stop now but I can give a run-down of the gear, etc. if anyone's interested.

Paul

• 1 likes this
    Random avatar
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

Very very interesting music, but this is not good (nah)
    http://i102.fastpic.ru/big/2018/0128/41/a08c35dbc3e213d1d95ddb9075b9d441.jpg

is there any possibility to make a new rip, or is this the level of the original recording?

FILE "Ztormtrooper 1980 Demo.wav" WAVE
    TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Before The Storm"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "In Search of Forever"
    INDEX 01 02:13:55
    TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Black Stallion"
    INDEX 01 07:33:37
    TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Flames of Oblivion"
    INDEX 01 15:28:16
    TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "After the Ztorm"
    INDEX 01 20:48:09
    Russia (ru) Male
    Name: Dmitriy

I have the Demo Paul Snoxell gave me a tape, pretty good stuff at the time so I kept it and copied it on a hard drive, I have a lot of Hard Drives to go through to find it, glad I kept it. I wouldn't be able to share it as I don't think it fair to the band, if the band have lost their demo I would pass it on to them.
    Random avatar
    United Kingdom (uk) FemaleFemale
    Name: Leah Harlow

Holy thingummy. I skipped this post a million times because of the lame 'Z', but man have I been wrong. Compared to many demo's of that era, the sound quality it good to excellent. As a fan of Anvil Chorus and Warlord I really like the use of keyboards. Also an above average vocalist, punk-rock elements. This tape's got it all. Thanks a lot for this diamond in the rough.

• 2 likes this
    Random avatar

« Return to Demos [NWOBHM]