Demos [NWOBHM] » Iron Maiden (UK) - Spaceward Studio [Demo] (1978)
  • http://i.imgur.com/OjmCE.jpg

Artist: Iron Maiden
    Release: Spaceward Studio Demo, 1978
    Genre: NWOBHM
    Bitrate: 320kbps
    Hidden Link
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rip and share by mevistox5, thanks a ton!

Uploader Notes: Here's a link to a 1978 IRON MAIDEN demo tape. The Soundhouse tape
    can easily be found on the net. The four track demo - featuring "Strange World" not!.
    Recorded 30-31 December 1978 engineered by Mike Kemp and mixed by Gary Lucas.

Paul Di'Anno - Vocals
    Dave Murray - Guitar
    Steve Harris - Bass
    Doug Sampson - Drums

Following written by Mike Kemp:
    "There have been some cruel comments by IRON MAIDEN that "they went back to get the multi-tracks
    some weeks after the sessions (because they couldn't afford them at the time) but the nasty studio had
    wiped them". My side of the story has never been heard - i.e. that we were as poor as they were and
    couldn't afford to keep £60 multitrack tapes for every band either! (A session cost about that I recall)
    We did our best - I think for £5 a week we would hold them until either they were paid for or the band
    decided not to keep them any longer, e.g. after a remix. Presumably they did not take that option."

Info about the demo recording & Soundhouse Tapes:
    The Soundhouse Tapes is the debut EP by IRON MAIDEN, and features the very first recordings by the
    band. Released on 9 November 1979, it features three songs taken from the demo tape 'Spaceward'.
    The songs were recorded by the band on New Year's Eve 1978/79. The three tracks - "Prowler",
    "Invasion" and "Iron Maiden" - appear in rougher form than they would later be heard on the first IRON
    MAIDEN album and subsequent singles. The tracks are played a bit slower and therefore more groovy as
    they appeared later on their debut. "Invasion" was not used until 1980, when it was released as a b-side
    to the "Women In Uniform" single. The fourth song from the demo - "Strange World" - would also be
    rerecorded for 'Iron Maiden'. The song was not included in 'The Soundhouse Tapes' because the band
    was not happy with the recording quality.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Prowler
    2. Invasion
    3. Strange World
    4. Iron Maiden
    Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
    Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1420

This is absolutely incredible!!
    I actually have one track from this demo on a bootleg, so I had a feeling something monumental could be lurking and waiting to bless us all, as soon as I saw the lineup above and saw Doug Sampson on drums, I KNEW that the track I have on this bootleg is from this session!

Thankyou all very much, this is really quite something special!

• 3 likes this
    Random avatar
    United Kingdom (uk) Male
    Name: ALex

Topics Solved: 0

« Return to Demos [NWOBHM]