Demos [Progressive Metal] » Diverge (Swe) - Defining an Illusion [Demo] (2000)
  • http://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/4/7/4/247436.jpg

Artist: Diverge
    Release: Defining an Illusion [Demo] (2001)
    Genre: Progressive Power Metal
    Bitrate: 320Kbps
    Hidden Link
    Mediafire
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I hope you're nice to me now...

This is the one and only demo that my band Diverge actually finised. We had a few false starts and just when we were getting comfortable with the music and ready to record a second demo with much better songs we kind of split up. Well well... Sh*t happens. The drummer has recently moved back to Stockholm after living in a town in the south western part of Sweden for about 7 years. He and I always was the core of the band, so hopefully we'll get together and jam again just like old times.

Anyway, this demo was recorded in our rehearsal room. A guy who has recorded some other types of music brought his studio equipment with him and we recorded it over 2 days in 1999. We had problems finding a singer, so finally we convinced a guy we knew who sang in another band to lay down vocals. He did a good job considering he only rehearsed with us once and he was more into Alice in Chains style music.

Looking back, there are many things I'd like to change. I like the main structures of the songs, but some arrangements could change. Also we could have used a click track for drums. That way we'd keep the tempo better...
    The drum sound is not that great and I do not like the guitar sound. To thin. Well, we can blame the old Digitech effect pedals that both of us guys playing guitar used.
    Also the guy recording and mixing the stuff wasn't used to metal, so he might not have really known how to get the best out of the recordings...

Anyway, hope you enjoy it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Defining an Illusion I: This Illusion
    2. Defining an Illusion II: Time Passed
    3. Defining an Illusion III: Confined
    4. As Wisdom Fades

Last edited by canadaspaceman on 28 Dec 2017, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: link hid
    Bringer of Steel
    Sweden (se) Male

Topics Solved: 0

Thanx ! For me is a very interesting to hear some post - Wyvern music of Wyvern members.
    I'm also like prog-power.
    And prog-metal at all - but, for true i mostly like prog with heavy -keyboard influenced , i.e. " european
    style ".

I'm a musician myself (a drummer, precisely) and playing progressive metal I know how hard it is to achieve a solid result, especially when it's about the production and your budget is definitely LOW :D
    But I think you and your band did quite a good job with this release; drum-sound looks like the main issue, while the guitars are just..well..different, but not bad at all!

I like the way you used the singer. His way of singing, as you stressed before, is definitely on a grunge mood, but thanks to the groovy & dark arrangements it fits the music pretty well.

Thanks for this interesting gift.

sulzer wrote:Thanx ! For me is a very interesting to hear some post - Wyvern music of Wyvern members.
    I'm also like prog-power.
    And prog-metal at all - but, for true i mostly like prog with heavy -keyboard influenced , i.e. " european
    style ".

Actually they were in my band at the same time as Wyvern. Of course Wyvern got first priorities, but we were in out late teens/early twenties and finishing high school and starting university, so we had a lot of time on our hands...

Nowadays Jonas Berndt plays in a band called Port of Saints. He played in the black metal band Mörk Gryning at the same time as Wyvern. He also had some other projects. It seems like he has left metal completely. Port of Saints seems to play more of a rock style (not hard rock).

Petter Broman, the bass player, now plays bass in a prog rock band called Villebråd They are not very influenced by seventies rock, but more from eighties new wave and such stuff.
    Petter was always more into progressive stuff. At the end of the time in our band, he often said that he was tired of metal. I wanted to make things more and more technical and intricate, but at the same time groovy, heavy and melodic. But Petter was moving away from that.

Andreas Sjöström is the only metal head of the old Wyvern members. He's still got long hair and mostly listens to metal. I don't think he's active in a band right now, but he still plays guitar (which is more than you can say about me. But my Digitech effect pedal broke a while ago and I haven't bought a new one yet...)

Anyway, that's what the Wyvern guys are up to.

There were a few drummers in the band, and I don't know much about what those guys are up to...
    Bringer of Steel
    Sweden (se) Male

utcheeow wrote:I'm a musician myself (a drummer, precisely) and playing progressive metal I know how hard it is to achieve a solid result, especially when it's about the production and your budget is definitely LOW :D
    But I think you and your band did quite a good job with this release; drum-sound looks like the main issue, while the guitars are just..well..different, but not bad at all!

I like the way you used the singer. His way of singing, as you stressed before, is definitely on a grunge mood, but thanks to the groovy & dark arrangements it fits the music pretty well.

Thanks for this interesting gift.

Thank you for your kind words. Well, as a musician, you know it is easy to criticize your own work, more listening to what you could have done better than what is actually there.
    If I could change something on the demo now, I would want to add a keyboardist using vintage seventies instrument sound such as mellotron and hammond organ. I like the idea of blending darkish technical metal with mellotron or hammond organ. It seems like a nice contrast.

About the singer, I had written all the lyrics and Petter (the bass player) and I wrote vocal melodies together. Then we invited the singer to Petter's place and did a walk-through of the songs, us singing them to him. We also recorded ourselves singing to the songs on a tape so that he could get a hang of the melodies. We imagined someone like Ray Alder of Fates Warning when we wrote the vocal melodies, but of course the singer had to do it his way. He took the main melodies and added his own touch.

We had our practice room next to the singer's band's practice room for a while and after the demo, he used to come in and listen to us practicing and seem to dig it. Also he bought a Symphony X album and loved it. He did ask me to join his band when they needed a lead guitar player, but I wanted to focus on my band. It would have been interesting if he had joined Diverge on a more permanent basis...
    Bringer of Steel
    Sweden (se) Male

I liked the vocals! very powerful voice!
    I also loved how much variation there was in the songs, made it very interesting to listen to.
    Great work and thanks for sharing the material with us!.

It's a bit sad that the band ended before a 2nd demo though, I would have loved to hear more.
    Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
    Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1421

It may well be that the sound is not to your liking, but it's not really bad, just could use a little more kick in the drumsound. But all things considered (low funds etc.) I really like the "earty" mood it delivers, many progproductions tend to be a bit to sterile. I also like the songs itself, Prog with a plot, not just intrumental masturbation!
    Germany (de) MaleYouTube 
    Name: Martin

Topics Solved: 8

DANNEQ,I REALLY LIKE YOUR BAND AND DEMO!!!!!Very good gloomy,melancholic progressive metal!The singer sings in a quite unusual way for this genre,but he has done a great job imo.Thanx a lot,for this exclusive gem!! porosimetal
    Random avatar
    Greece (gr) Male
    Name: PANOS

Topics Solved: 1

« Return to Demos [Progressive Metal]