Albums [Progressive Metal] » The Gallows Humor (US) - In Dying Need (1993)
  • http://i.imgur.com/vYPRtfP.png

Artist: The Gallows Humor
    Release: In Dying Need (1993)
    Genre: Progressive Metal
    Bitrate: 320Kbps
    Hidden Link
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's the first (?) album by The Gallows Humor, the band that released What You Hear in the Dark.
    Good and experimental mix of metal and hard rock.

Cover scans are included.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. The Passion Vibe
    2. Tichy's Disease
    3. Seconds Away
    4. Jazz Vomit no 1
    5. Cagey
    6. Lost
    7. Only Me
    8. Wuh-Buh-Juh CUYA
    9. Prelude no 1
    10. Desperately Seeking Ione
    11. Prelude Too
    12. Eve Takes a Dive
    13. Case in Point
    14. Dr. Seuss

Hidden Link:
    Use the "THANKS" button or reply for link
    Spam, flooding, meaningless, one word or short non-sense posts (Great, Wow, Thank You, etc) NOT allowed.
    Bringer of Steel
    Sweden (se) Male

Topics Solved: 0

I've just noticed something about this band. There's barely any information on them. In fact, they're not even on MA. I'm not sure if it's due to their obscurity or if it's because of their very eclectic style, but have you or someone else tried to submit them to the site?
    United States (us) MaleYouTube 
    Name: Zach

I've recently gotten in contact with Kevin Carey (the guitarist & singer of this band) and he actually gave me a lot of information about the band. He also sent me a CD-R of In Dying Need & a CD of What You Hear in the Dark(what a cool guy). I also took the time to put them up on RateYourMusic(MA wouldn't take them, said they were too 90s rock), so if anyone here has downloaded this or the second album, please go rate/review it. If anyone is interested, I can post some biographical info about the band here.

• 1 likes this

How cool is that!! I would find that information interesting!!! \m/

https://www.thereverend-davidwayne.com/

https://www.facebook.com/OriginalLegion.band/?fref=ts
    Canada (ca) MaleYouTube 

Topics Solved: 1

I'll keep it how he sent it to me, but here is his personal account of his Gallows Humor years.

"Started in the Fall of 1992 when I moved to NYC for the second time. I was 23 and a bike messenger and DIRT POOR.

I was sleeping on a couch at a friend's apartment in Manhattan -- Chelsea neighborhood - 22nd Street and 8th Ave. Johnny Ramone was living in the same building. Dee Dee Ramone was living at the Chelsea Hotel right behind us. They weren't even talking then!

I had all of these ideas coming in. I would bike messenger for half a day and then work with my drum machine and a cassette four track for the rest of the day. Really tough time. No food. Alot of crackers and ice tea. I had been unemployed for 6 months prior.

Brian Tichy had an ad in the Village Voice -- drum lessons. I still have the ad. I remembered Brian from Berklee -- he was THE MAN there. I called him and told him I would pay him to learn my tunes and rehearse them, then record them.

That is how it started.

Doug Wisniski was in my band in high school -- Saugerties, NY (Jimmy Fallon, 4 years below us in high school) - the 80s. We played alot of RUSH. After Berklee, Doug moved to LA for a bit. He came back around the end of 1992. I had a power trio with Brian and Doug. It was a beautiful thing. Our drummer in high school/Saugerties was named Brian too. He was THEE RUSH GUY of Saugerties.

I was in a nasty bike messenger accident on a Friday eve. The next Monday -- I was still in bad shape (still bleeding even!) so I didn't go in to work. That was the first day I met Tish (Tichy) officially.

We got to work right away. Tichy and I would record our practices (all cassette) and I would go back to my apartment and cut the stuff up on another cassette - then give it to Doug who would work the stuff up on his own (on Long Island).

Eventually, I got a better job typing at night at (of all places) Lehman Brothers down by the World Trade Center.

We did our first demos at GLC studios (West Village) in Fall of '92. Then we started rehearsing around Brian's touring schedule. He toured with Sass Jordan around this time. Then he joined Pride and Glory with Zakk Wylde, then Slash's Snakepit.

The first cd was recorded end of 1992 and beginning or middle of 1993. West Village and Hicksville, Long Island. Kevin Kelly engineering.

Then Doug and I went through a few drummers (Tichy was on to bigger and better and moved to LA). We tried three drummers from Saugerties. We did one gig with Brian Becker from Saugerties - he was great but wouldn't move down to the city.

Eventually, we settled on Kent Miller from Tarrytown (Westchester). We did a handful of gigs and eventually it was 1994.

Woodstock '94 (25 year anniversary) ended up happening (of all places) in SAUGERTIES, NY. Look at the lineup for THAT one.

To throw Saugerties a bone, the festival promoters said, "Send us 6 of your best bands and they can play the main stage."

I submitted our first cd. They passed on us and I think went with 6 bands from neighboring Kingston, NY. None of these bands went anywhere. I knew some of the guys. I liked the band Lunchmeat. Their guitarist, Jason, committed suicide on his 40th birthday 7 years ago.

Since we didn't get the Woodstock '94 gig, I told the band, "We're going into the studio in Long Island again. CD #2."

It was rushed, but there are some good moments on there.

Doug wasn't happy and he was leaning/moving towards Christianity. He was really locked into his job (at a deli) and his girlfriend. They split up about a year later.

But, Doug bailed right at the end of the sessions for the second CD. So it was Kent and myself and then an awesome bassist (for hire) dude who loved our tunes... loved prog... loved Rush. Eric Mauriello.

We played a few more gigs and Kent stopped practicing drums and just got worse. I was paying Eric to gig and rehearse. It wasn't even a band anymore.

I started jamming with another band up in Rosendale (near Woodstock/ New Paltz) and that became a better thing for me.

One night, at a jam/ open mic thing in White Plains, I saw how poor of a drummer Kent had become and I just said to myself, "Gallows Humor is done."

We had rejections from about 15 record labels. I got a call from AtCO who at that time had Pantera, Dream Theater and King's X. Of COURSE they will want US! I thought. I took a cd directly to their office. No dice.

They didn't like it.

They had heard about us after reading a review in an NYC trade magazine that read, "this band is a mix of Alice in Chains, Rush, Primus and King's X."

Pretty accurate.

All things Gallows Humor was an uphill battle for me.

After about a year and a half with Esta Blisshead, I moved to Minnesota and immediately hit the road with John Doe, a really good cover band with an amazing singer (Alisa B).

That was the end of originals for awhile."

• 1 likes this

I know that this band isn't everyone's thing, but I honestly think their 2 albums were great. Kevin also auditioned for the band Naked Sun(their 2 albums are on this site, GET THEM if you like Prog Rock) in '92 or '93 I think. He would've gotten the part, but there was another guy who just gelled better with the band.

By the way, Esta Blisshead was a lot different than Gallows Humor. Kev said it was in a more jammy/Steely Dan kinda style, there's a couple tracks on YT.

« Return to Albums [Progressive Metal]