Heavy Rock / Proto Metal / Psych » Horse (UK) - Horse (1970)
  • http://s28.postimg.cc/s475rvgx9/folder.jpg

Artist: Horse
    Release: Horse (1970)
    Genre: Heavy Rock/Proto-Metal/Psychedelic Rock/Progressive
    Bitrate: 320 kbps
    ►Dead Link
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://s11.postimg.cc/5j0miwhsj/Horse_Horse_Front.jpg

Adrian Hawkins : Vocals (SATURNALIA)
    Rod Roach : Guitar (Vocals on 'The Journey') (LONDON, ANDROMEDA, SATURNALIA)
    Colin Standring : Bass (KIT & THE SARACENS, JIMMY BROWN SOUND)
    Ric Parnell : Drums (ATOMIC ROOSTER, MATCHSTICK MEN, HORACE, IBIS, NOVA, STARS, LISA DALBELLO, ZOO DRIVE, RAVI SHANKAR, WAYNE KRAMER, GERRY LAFFY, BROWN RING, DENIZ TEK, THE DEVIANTS, SPINAL TAP)

http://s29.postimg.cc/61ep677rr/Horse_Horse_Back.jpg

In 1968, guitarist Rod Roach, formerly a member of both LONDON & ANDROMEDA, formed a new band called HORSE with vocalist Adrian Hawkins.
    Drummer Steve Holley, ex of THE FORMULA, joined them next, with the line up completed by bassist Colin Standring, formerly of KIT & THE SARACENS & JIMMY BROWN SOUND.
    The new quartet spent most of their early time together writing original songs and rehearsing, only beginning to play live shows in the second half of 1969.
    Immediately impressed by the band's powerful sound, RCA Records signed Horse before Christmas.
    However, Steve Holley was shown the door soon after the contracts were signed, with Ric Parnell replacing him behind the drums.
    The band recorded their ten song self-titled debut album in the spring of 1970, and it was rush released soon after in a striking sleeve bearing an illustration of a satanic looking horse by Roger Wooton of COMUS.
    Macabre atmosphere filled the grooves, with the band's trademark psychedelic Heavy Rock captured perfectly on wax.
    If you need a sonic reference point, Horse's sound was close to the heavier side of BLACK WIDOW or perhaps akin to STEEL MILL, but without that band's preference for wind instruments.
    Horse hit the road and toured hard for the next few months to promote the album's release.
    Ric Parnell then left the band in late summer in order to help out ATOMIC ROOSTER until they found a permanent replacement for the outgoing Carl Palmer.
    After a couple of months Parnell returned to Horse, and the group once again concentrated on their live performances, touring mainly in Germany.
    In the spring of 1971, Colin Standring was sacked from the band and Parnell decided to leave, bringing Horse to a sudden halt.
    Parnell then recorded an EP called "Waiting For The Moon" with the band HORACE, before forming MATCHSTICK MEN.
    That project turned out to be a short term move however, as he soon left to rejoin Atomic Rooster, with whom he records the 'Made In England' & 'Nice & Greasy' albums.
    Hawkins & Roach decided to start all over again, dropping the Horse name and forming a brand new five piece band called SATURNALIA.
    Saturnalia recorded just one album, 'Magical Love', released by Matrix Records in 1973.
    The album was claimed to be the world's first ever 3-D picture disc and featured some strikingly esoteric artwork.
    Saturnalia split up in 1976 without releasing any further material.
    Ric Parnell went on to play with Italian bands IBIS & NOVA in the mid 1970's, before relocating to the U.S. where he became a sought after session drummer before turning down the chance to join JOURNEY.
    Parnell later found fame of sorts when he appeared in the 1984 movie, 'This Is Spinal Tap'.
    He played the part of Mick Shrimpton, SPINAL TAP's hapless drummer who dies onstage from "spontaneous combustion".
    Parnell also played the drums on the Spinal Tap tracks on the film's soundtrack, filling that role again for the 1992 'Break Like The Wind' album.
    He now hosts his own radio show called 'Spontaneous Combustion', from his adopted hometown of Missoula, Montana.

art & txt included
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    01. The Sacrifice
    02. See The People Creeping Round
    03. And I Have Loved You
    04. Freedom Rider
    05. Lost Control
    06. To Greet The Sun
    07. The Journey
    08. Heat Of The Summer
    09. Gypsy Queen
    10. Step Out Of Line
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 149

canadaspaceman wrote:I wish I heard and knew more about this type of stuff.

Keep an eye on this part of the forum , i'll be adding more proto/Heavy rock stuff as time goes on, and hopefully others will be doing so too.
    There's lots of good stuff from this era that's well worth exploring.
    (vikingcheer)
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

metalfink wrote:Riptorn, you have beat me to it. :D I was planning to upload this. One of my favourite albums from the 70s.

You have excellent taste Metalfink.
    It's a long time favourite of mine too.
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

re-uploaded
    Horse (UK) 1970 Horse [320 kbps]
    Size: 90.3 MB
    Hidden Link
    MEGA Link

• 1 likes this

Topics Solved: 774