Heavy Rock / Proto Metal / Psych » [DEAD LINK] Captain Beyond (US/UK) - Captain Beyond (1972)
  • THIS POST HAVE DEAD LINKS
    REQUEST A REUPLOAD HERE

CHECK EXISTING REQUESTS BEFORE MAKING A NEW ONE!

http://s3.postimg.cc/ih19cdcmb/Captain_Beyond_Captain_Beyond_Frunt.jpg

Artist: Captain Beyond
    Release: Captain Beyond
    Genre: Heavy Rock/Proto-Metal/Hard Rock/Progressive
    Bitrate: 320 kbps
    ►Dead Link
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    CAPTAIN BEYOND - Captain Beyond (USA/UK-1972)
    Capricorn Records/Polygram Records 314 536 107-2

Rod Evans - Vocals (DEEP PURPLE, THE MAZE, THE HORIZONS)
    Larry "Rhino" Reinhardt - Guitar (IRON BUTTERFLY, BITTERSWEET, THE THUNDERBEATS, THE LOAD, THE SECOND COMING, THE RYNO BAND, MAD DANCER, BOBBY WOMACK, ROBERT TEPPER, RHINO & THE POSSE)
    Lee Dorman - Bass, Piano, Organ, Vocals (IRON BUTTERFLY)
    Bobby Caldwell - Drums, Percussion, Organ, Bells, Vibraphone, Vocals (JOHNNY WINTER, ARMAGEDDON, RICK DERRINGER, ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND, NOAH'S ARK, JD BLACKFOOT)

CAPTAIN BEYOND was an American/British Heavy Rock band formed in Los Angeles, California in 1971.
    The original line-up for Captain Beyond was singer Rod Evans (ex-DEEP PURPLE), drummer Bobby Caldwell (ex-JOHNNY WINTER & ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND), guitarist Larry "Rhino" Reinhardt (ex-IRON BUTTERFLY), bassist Lee Dorman (ex-IRON BUTTERFLY) and keyboardist Lewie Gold.
    Gold left due to personal reasons before the first album was recorded, but played on the demo which secured the band their record deal.
    The remaining line-up recorded the self-titled debut album for Capricorn Records, which was released in July of 1972.
    All the members had achieved a degree of fame in their former bands, but merged their different stylistic approaches to produce a truly unique progressive Heavy Rock album.
    Their music was punctuated with a constantly shifting tempo with equally complex time signature changes.
    The musicianship rivalled or surpassed that of the majority of their contemporaries.
    Unlike many groups with stellar musicians, their songs still flowed effortlessly together, never staying one place long enough to become stale or repetative and never becoming overly self-indulgent.
    From they acoustic "A Thousand Days of Yesterdays" to the furiously heavy "Frozen Over", the incredible dynamics of the music set a timeless blueprint.
    Often imitated, seldom equalled.
    For an early 70's recording, the production work on this recording is nothing less than extraordinary.
    The album sounds incredibly clear and vibrant, with all the impact and power you'd expect from a modern production.
    Way ahead of its time and still fresh to this day.
    Following this album Caldwell left the band to join RICK DERRINGER and was replaced by drummer Brian Glascock.
    Also joining the band around this time were Reese Wynans on keyboards and Guille Garcia on congas.
    The record company's chosen producer, Giorgio Gomelsky, did not like Glascock's drumming and requested a new drummer.
    Glascock was released and Marty Rodriguez was brought in on drums on the recommendation of Garcia.
    This six man lineup recorded the group's second album, the latin influenced "Sufficiently Breathless".
    Tension during the recording led to Evans quitting after the album was released.
    The original lineup then reformed later in 1973 for a US tour with KING CRIMSON but the band split up again at the end of the year.
    The band reformed again in 1976, this time with new member Willy Daffern (ex-HUNGER & TRUK), on vocals.
    They recorded the band's third album "Dawn Explosion" on Warner Bros., but broke up again in 1978.
    Daffren then went on to front PIPEDREAM (featuring VANILLA FUDGE & BECK, BOGERT & APPICE bassist Tim Bogert & SYMPHONIC SLAM drummer Jan Uvena), on their lone self-titled album.
    Daffren then guested on FOCUS guitarist JAN AKKERMAN's "3" solo album before adopting the pseudonym "Willy Dee" and joining forces with GARY MOORE for the G FORCE project, which also yielded just a single self-titled LP.
    After the release of his own 1983 solo album Daffren decided to leave the music industry for a while, returning in the 90's with a band called ZOOMLENZ.
    Following a resurgence of interest in Captain Beyond following the re-release of their first 2 albums on CD, Reinhardt and Caldwell reformed Captain Beyond in 1998 with new members Jimi Interval on vocals, Dan Frye on keyboards, and Jeff Artabasy on bass.
    The band performed many well received live shows, appeared at the Sweden Rock festival and released an independent four track EP.
    In 1999, Swedish record label Record Heaven released a tribute to Captain Beyond entitled "Thousand Days of Yesterday".
    The album features fellow 1970s rockers PENTAGRAM playing "Dancing Madly Backwards", alonside contributions by HAWKWIND's Nik Turner, THIN LIZZY's Brian Robertson, FLOWER KINGS and LOCOMOTIVE BREATH.
    Captain Beyond once again disbanded in 2003 when lead guitarist Larry Reinhardt developed cancer.
    Following treatment, Reinhardt continued to perform music until late 2011, when he again fell ill.
    He died on January 2, 2012 of cirrhosis of the liver. He was 63.
    Bassist Lee Dorman died of natural causes at the age of 70 on December 21, 2012.
    A 1973 live recording was released on CD and vinyl as "Live In Texas" by Purple Pyramid/Cleopatra Records in 2013.
    The same label also made the 1st Captain Beyond LP available on vinyl once more later in the same year.
    2014 saw Purple Pyramid issue a limited edition Captain Beyond 2-CD 'Official Bootleg' live collection, entitled "Live Anthology".
    Disc 1 contains complete live sets from Montreux 1971 & Miami 1972, whilst the 2nd disc features the sets from New York 1972 and Los Angeles 1977.

art & txt included

no pw
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    01. Dancing Madly Backwards (On A Sea Of Air)
    02. Armworth
    03. Myopic Void
    04. Mesmerization Eclipse
    05. Raging River Of Fear
    06. Thousand Days Of Yesterdays (Intro)
    07. Frozen Over
    08. Thousand Days Of Yesterdays (Time Since Come And Gone)
    09. I Can't Feel Nothin' (Part 1)
    10. As the Moon Speaks (To The Waves Of The Sea)
    11. Astral Lady
    12. As The Moon Speaks (Return)
    13. I Can't Feel Nothin' (Part 2)
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

One of my all time favorite albums. Nice post!
    Whoa, what version is this? Mine only has 9 tracks.

• 1 likes this
    CLEAR LAKE SESSIONS - 4 song demo April 1993
    DIRTY WATER SESSIONS - 5 song demo 1993
    United States (us) Male
    Name: David

Topics Solved: 4

canadaspaceman wrote:Thanks for re-upping ! (bow)

Glad to help canadaspaceman. We got lucky as i found the disc straight away in the first box i looked in!
    Hope you like it after all that.
    Cruedevil, you asked "Whoa, what version is this? Mine only has 9 tracks."
    This is the remastered 'Capricorn Classics' US CD version issued in 1999 on Capricorn/Polygram Records.
    I suspect there may be no difference musically between this version and any of the other issues, just that they've maybe broken up the tracks differently for the CD version. As most of the music on the album is (more or less) seamless i'm guessing it's wound up being in 13 segments instead of 9.
    I may be wrong though, this is the only version i've ever owned so i've nothing to compare it with.
    Hope you enjoy it any way folks, it's one of my favourite albums ever.
    Unique, inventive music with bags of character, so many memorable riffs and melodies and terrific playing throughout.
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

I was expecting it to be much more "prog" but it's really cool rock.

Maybe anybody that likes American/California bands influenced by 1970s stoner rock, like Nebula, Fu Manchu, or Brant Bjork will get into this.

Next time I am in a record store, i will be hunting for Captain Beyond albums !

• 1 likes this
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 327

Glad you enjoyed it spaceman.
    It isn't what i'd describe as 'prog' (as in the genre definition) either, but the songs and arrangements are certainly progressive in spirit and ambition.
    I get the comparisons you make with Fu Manchu etc., but whilst those bands had a similar feel, (or 'vibe' maaan), they tended to base a song on a couple of riffs and a pretty straight-forward tempo, whereas CB piled riff on riff on riff and had more tempo changes in a single song than you'd find in Nebula's entire back catalogue.
    If you're considering purchasing the Captain Beyond stuff here's a little additonal info.
    Their 2nd LP is more laid back than the debut and has a sort of latin feel in places, but is still a solid listen overall.
    Their 3rd is more like the debut stylistically, but not all the songs are of quite the same high standard, however there are some outstanding moments.
    The 4 song 1999 EP is a bitch to find, and pretty pricey nowadays. 2 songs sound like the CB of old, the other 2 are pretty generic.
    Those recent live releases are pretty lo-fi, 'official bootleg' is very accurate, really for completists only.
    (great)
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

« Return to Heavy Rock / Proto Metal / Psych