Label Questions » Record labels that give DMCA warnings if you upload their albums
  • I found this blog http://www.theelementaryrevolt.net/p/blog-page.html
    and this list of record labels that don't want you uploading / sharing--

a389,
    Alternative Tentacles,
    Bomber Music Ltd,
    Closed Casket Activities,
    Deadwish,
    Doghouse Records,
    Fat Possum,
    Merge Records,
    Neurot,
    Painkiller,
    Profound Lore Records,
    Sargent House, Season of Mist,
    Sub-Pop,
    Victory Records.

I find it hilarious that Alternative Tentacles, run by punk rock icon Jello Biafra, does not like people sharing their music!

Maybe people like him don't like what punk brought to metal, (or even hippies back in the 1960s!)
    - the idea that music should be free, just like art.
    if you want to own the original, you buy it, but if only to look at it or listen to it, then why is a copy you have for free so bad ?
    there are plenty of pro / con arguments all over the internet about downloading, just stating my point.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XtnrIUzgku0/U1ccC1CJacI/AAAAAAAAGlA/CxLfNj6Ijo0/s1600/DaveGrohlisanamazingperson-on++trading+music,and+mp3%27s.gif
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 328

Such well put words from someone i'm not A HUGE fan of, he makes a point, i think it has gotten fucking redundant with all these big wigs bitching about how bad the internet has killed it for their way of making money, but even minorities are also complaining about how the internet has killed it for them, their not getting the fact that there are people that just download for the sake of downloading, those kinds of people are the ones that will say that "i want my music for free, fuck those guys who want money", you know shit said like that, that is what hurt it, i'm the guy who will download and see if i like it to see if it's worth my money, but it also can go for an album that is WAY overpriced, so downloading does come into play, i think these labels need to turn down the paranoid meter anotch.

http://i.imgur.com/oQTbd.png
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) MaleYouTube 
    Name: Ben Smith

Topics Solved: 16

I think it bears mentioning here that a lot of the lost sales volume these labels complain about would have never materialized anyway. Many people who illegally download do so because either A) they can't afford to actually buy anything because they're broke, or B) they live somewhere where distribution is expensive or impossible (e.g., much of the Developing World, repressive dictatorships, etc.).

So their estimates of lost sales volume do not correspond exactly to the number of people who download.

Steel Republic
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male 

Topics Solved: 0

That is another possible reason, but anyway you look at it, they need to have their mouths zzzzzzzipped, it's not like these people have lost all of their millions or billions, wich they acted like they lost it all, let people be people, it's our freedom to choose what we buy and we have the right to download anything that we want, just hope that if we like it, we buy it, don't like it, don't buy it, simple as that.

http://i.imgur.com/oQTbd.png
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) MaleYouTube 
    Name: Ben Smith

Topics Solved: 16

In response to the original list posted by canadaspaceman, i'm not sure that the guy who blogged this list can put all the DMCA responses down to the labels mentioned.
    The DMCA employ people to force file hosters etc to take down all copyrighted material.
    If a blog or forum is being targeted then generally all of their links get reported to the filehosters involved, from those on major labels to those on the smallest of indies.
    Also, a couple of complaints to a filehost about links found on a particular blog can result in blogger flinging the baby out with the bathwater and closing the blog in question down completely, often without warning.
    In a scenario like that it's often hard to know who's to blame.
    I can't imagine that any record label wants their releases shared online for free, because it's bound to eat into their profit margins to some extent, and these companies are businesses as the end of the day.
    Even if the label is a labour of love outfit specializing in obscure genre music and run by fans for fans, they still want to sell as many copies as they possibly can, because it enables them to pay the artists better, produce larger pressing runs with better packaging etc and it also allows them to sign more bands.
    In a way i'm slightly surprised that the smaller independent labels haven't kicked up more of a stink about downloading, because their margins must be wafer thin, so the decline in sales makes their very existence highly precarious.
    I know a lot of people (especially on forums like this one) are like me, if they like the music they d/l they then go and buy the CD or LP, but there must be many more who always d/l for free and don't ever pay for music.
    Even if they were out there supporting the bands they enjoy by buying gig tickets or merchandise then that would be something, but i fear that many now feel 'entitled' to free music and feel no sense of loyalty or responsibility to support the artists.
    Sad but troo-ooh.
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

This is a really interesting conversation. I just noticed it now, because I was away on vacation overnight. I ended up buying Rat Attack and Wyvern on CD on the trip, but that's besides the point. A friend of mine owns a store that specializes in metal. He has said that one thing that hurts sales of CDs is the fact that the price line on the the CD medium hasn't come down. He said that almost all forms of technology show a lowering in price over the years of their existence. However, CDs are still as expensive now as they were in 1989. Both he and I think that illegal downloading would be minimized, if record companies priced their CDs reasonably. Especially, considering how cheap it really is for a company to press the discs and print the booklets. The companies could bring the prices down and still make a profit.
    United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 14

VardisRules wrote:A friend of mine owns a store that specializes in metal. He has said that one thing that hurts sales of CDs is the fact that the price line on the the CD medium hasn't come down. He said that almost all forms of technology show a lowering in price over the years of their existence. However, CDs are still as expensive now as they were in 1989. Both he and I think that illegal downloading would be minimized, if record companies priced their CDs reasonably. Especially, considering how cheap it really is for a company to press the discs and print the booklets. The companies could bring the prices down and still make a profit.

You raise a very interesting point here, VardisRules. Especially in light of the fact that the actual recording artists get only a tiny fraction of the sticker price of each unit sold in royalties - and many get no royalties at all.

Steel Republic
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male 

Someday I hope there is a definitive website with its screen divided in half -
    Artists Against Downloading / Artists That Don't Care You Download Their Music (and make sure their record label supports the idea).

Guess which side I would support?
    The artists that wouldn't care (besides the ones that suck, haha) are secure enough to know their loyal fans would still want to support them if they can.
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 328

canadaspaceman wrote:Someday I hope there is a definitive website with its screen divided in half -
    Artists Against Downloading / Artists That Don't Care You Download Their Music (and make sure their record label supports the idea).

Guess which side I would support?
    The artists that wouldn't care (besides the ones that suck, haha) are secure enough to know their loyal fans would still want to support them if they can.

I doubt you'll ever get such a black & white 'answer' Canadaspaceman.
    Whilst many artists are publically proponents of downloading, in an ideal world they'd likely prefer you to hear the album the way they envisioned it when they were writing & recording it.
    Listening to the official CD or LP from start to finish whilst poring over the artwork/lyrics/thanks list would likely be the preferred medium of delivery for most artists.
    Whatever they may say.
    VardisRules, again, you make some great points.
    I agree completely with your thoughts about the pricing of physical CDs.
    The major labels really missed a trick when downloading started to affect sales.
    Had they lowered their prices, and their expectations of projected profits at that time, then physical sales likely would be far higher nowadays.
    And as consumers, we'd probably still have a healthy amount of real record stores to visit as a result.
    Unfortunately for the smaller labels, it needed the big companies to lead the way for this tactic to work.
    Instead, they shot themselves in the foot over and over until they'd killed the goose that laid the golden egg.
    Excuse me, i mixed my metaphors terribly in that last sentence.
    (doh)
    Those big companies let themselves, their shareholders, the acts and their customers down terribly with their short sightedness and now they (and we) are suffering the consequences.
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

riptorn wrote:In a way i'm slightly surprised that the smaller independent labels haven't kicked up more of a stink about downloading, because their margins must be wafer thin, so the decline in sales makes their very existence highly precarious.
    I know a lot of people (especially on forums like this one) are like me, if they like the music they d/l they then go and buy the CD or LP, but there must be many more who always d/l for free and don't ever pay for music.
    Even if they were out there supporting the bands they enjoy by buying gig tickets or merchandise then that would be something, but i fear that many now feel 'entitled' to free music and feel no sense of loyalty or responsibility to support the artists.
    Sad but troo-ooh.

Us smaller labels do complain in private but since we have neither a forum to be heard nor the funds to afford a team of lawyers to make any impact whatsoever we just carry on and hope for the best. Having been active since 1994 I can assure you that downloading has MASSIVELY hurt us. Judging by my own numbers sales from 2000 compared to now have gone down about 80 % while at the same time the market for extreme music has exploded. But all those new people don't buy squat.

As for the price question, it is true that today it is a lot cheaper to print up CDs but the reduction in price doesn't even make up for the fact that today I'm lucky when I sell 50 copies of a new release after 6 month. The few people who still buy CDs (or any physical release at all) will buy them for any reasonable price and most people just won't buy anything at all anymore because they consider music a right to have for free.

• 1 likes this
    Random avatar
    Germany (de) Male

« Return to Label Questions