Record Questions » Bathory question
  • Which is the best sounding version of the first Bathory album?
    Romania (ro) Male
    Name: Richard

Topics Solved: 9

I have the 1990 version, sounds good to me
    https://www.discogs.com/Bathory-Bathory/release/2275827

Topics Solved: 12

The original, imo
    Banned
    United States (us) Male
    Name: Mikael Vaalkoth

Topics Solved: 6

Every official press from 1984-1987 has the original sound. No need for any of that remaster shit.

• 2 likes this
    Random avatar
    Canada (ca) Male
    Name: Miles

Topics Solved: 0

I thought it got remastered when Music for Nations got hold of it and stuck it out on Under One Flag. So, anything before they got hold of it!
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

http://i.imgur.com/akMcyiv.jpg

LINK REMOVED Under One Flag 1987 Reissue

-1 reputation votes
    Name: Ilya

Topics Solved: 2

There isn't a good cd version of the debut IMO. All cd versions are remastered.
    Bringer of Steel

Topics Solved: 65

drterror666 wrote:I thought it got remastered when Music for Nations got hold of it and stuck it out on Under One Flag. So, anything before they got hold of it!

To elaborate, I was talking about the vinyl version. All CD versions, as mentioned above, contain the remastered version.
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

I was going to ask the same thing. I find some Bathory debut's vinyl rips, but these have some scratch sounds. All the CD versions are from the remaster source that damaged the original sound

BlackTrack74 in his blog says:

In 1990, the album was remastered beyond recognition, adding some reverb and horrible noise reduction for example and since they made these version, it was used on all available CD, LP and cassette releases until today.

I don't know if the master tapes still exist, or the legal property keep off a correct remaster. I'm still waiting and keep dreaming...
    Bringer of Steel
    Colombia (co) Male YouTube  
    Name: Infernvs

Topics Solved: 5

BelphegorPepe wrote:I was going to ask the same thing. I find some Bathory debut's vinyl rips, but these have some scratch sounds. All the CD versions are from the remaster source that damaged the original sound...

Correct, the OFFICIAL CDs must be avoided, but there's the bootleg-CD sold by Iron Tyrant (and who knows what else distros/labels/mailorders…) which features the rip of the original 1st press vinyl (cool) (wink)
    To be precise, I'm talking about THIS version: https://www.discogs.com/Bathory-Bathory ... e/11878234

• 1 likes this
    NO Zippyshare, thanx...
    Bringer of Steel
    Italy (it) MaleYouTube 
    Name: Tony

Topics Solved: 211

I have both and you are going to excuse me for my ignorance, but except for the volume I don't find much difference hehehe

or I should listen to the records again

• 1 likes this
    Guatemala (gt) Male

Topics Solved: 28

I just listened to both albums The Bathory and The Return and it's true !!!!!!!

The LPs sounds normal and the CDs of 1991 sounds different the voice sounds kinda robotic, with some kind of echo, as it sounds from a distance, I don't know what that effect is called

I apologize, those albums sound different

(beerm)

It's just that I stopped listening to Bathory since those Norland albums (hmm) and I never realized of that

Cheers

• 1 likes this
    Guatemala (gt) Male

Sometimes I wonder if I should regret selling my vinyl in the late 1980s or early 90s, was first press on Black Mark.
    All I can say is when I bought the CD in the late 1990s, it also sounded different to me.

I recall reading that besides the Black Mark pressings in the 1980s, only the Under One Flag vinyl for any Bathory albums was a exactly like the originals?

• 1 likes this
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 330

canadaspaceman wrote:Sometimes I wonder if I should regret selling my vinyl in the late 1980s or early 90s, was first press on Black Mark.
    All I can say is when I bought the CD in the late 1990s, it also sounded different to me.

I recall reading that besides the Black Mark pressings in the 1980s, only the Under One Flag vinyl for any Bathory albums was a exactly like the originals?

I never heard the Black Mark Pressings, mine are Under One Flag, and I just listened and they are very different than CDs from the 90s
    Guatemala (gt) Male

achad1979 wrote:
    canadaspaceman wrote:Sometimes I wonder if I should regret selling my vinyl in the late 1980s or early 90s, was first press on Black Mark.

I never heard the Black Mark Pressings, mine are Under One Flag, and I just listened and they are very different than CDs from the 90s

lol Black Mark was owned by Quorthon's father. I want to know what happened to the Bathory intellectual property. What happened to the master tapes (lol sorry my english).Who owns the rights nowadays? Why the metal labels (Century Media, Nuclear Blast...) don't try to find these?

• 1 likes this
    Bringer of Steel

BelphegorPepe wrote:lol Black Mark was owned by Quorthon's father. I want to know what happened to the Bathory intellectual property. What happened to the master tapes (lol sorry my english).Who owns the rights nowadays? Why the metal labels (Century Media, Nuclear Blast...) don't try to find these?

He still owns them as far as I know, but keeps licensing and pressing inferior quality vinyl and CD's.
    No idea why he screwed up the remasters for CD, and since then, supposedly represses CD and new vinyl from the shitty remasters.
    Other forums (like the late NWN forum) mentioned many times The Boss simply does not care, as he knows people will buy Bathory music no matter what the quality.
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 330

canadaspaceman wrote:He still owns them as far as I know, but keeps licensing and pressing inferior quality vinyl and CD's.
    No idea why he screwed up the remasters for CD, and since then, supposedly represses CD and new vinyl from the shitty remasters.
    Other forums (like the late NWN forum) mentioned many times The Boss simply does not care, as he knows people will buy Bathory music no matter what the quality.

Stig Börje "Boss" Forsberg died in 2017 bro

• 1 likes this
    Bringer of Steel

Hey, has anyone heard the Black Mark VINYL reissues from around 2010 like this?

https://www.discogs.com/Bathory-Under-T ... se/2256649

The message chain was mostly focused on CDs, but how about the vinyl represses? Are they based on the digital remasters? I was getting hopes up that maybe they'd be using something of the original as master source.

I have to order some other stuff and some of those BMP vinyls are still in stock on bit of a discount. I'd be inclined to get a few of them on the side of my main order, but if they sound bad compared to original vinyl pressing that's a big turn off.

Thanks!
    Name: Tane Norther

« Return to Record Questions