Other »  [SOLVED] Paul Dianno´s shirt in 1980...?
easternthunder wrote:
cbnewton wrote:Could it be Nicko McBrain's former band, McKitty?

Indeed it is. I hung out with the band after one gig and I still have some promo stickers that feature the exact logo and font that's on Paul's shirt.

http://i.imgur.com/QImsmNA.jpg

That was an excellent 'full circle' conclusion to the mystery, nice sleuthing!
So Nicko was on the Maiden radar way back when, interesting.
Was McKitty his band post Pat Travers & Zorro, but pre-Trust then?
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 93

riptorn wrote:
easternthunder wrote:

Indeed it is. I hung out with the band after one gig and I still have some promo stickers that feature the exact logo and font that's on Paul's shirt.

I saw McKitty in April 1980 when they supported Wild Horses on their British tour. They were due to release a single ("Time Will Tell") in early summer, with an album to follow in the autumn. Sadly, neither release materialised, and I never heard any more of Nicko until he joined Trust in 1981.

It's a real shame that McKitty split up as they were a dynamite power trio with excellent songs. Guitarist and vocalist Donovan McKitty currently plays with reggae band Steel Pulse, while bassist Charlie Tumahai (ex-Be Bop Deluxe) sadly died in 1995 at the age of 46.
United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 97

easternthunder wrote:I saw McKitty in April 1980 when they supported Wild Horses on their British tour. They were due to release a single ("Time Will Tell") in early summer, with an album to follow in the autumn. Sadly, neither release materialised, and I never heard any more of Nicko until he joined Trust in 1981.

It's a real shame that McKitty split up as they were a dynamite power trio with excellent songs. Guitarist and vocalist Donovan McKitty currently plays with reggae band Steel Pulse, while bassist Charlie Tumahai (ex-Be Bop Deluxe) sadly died in 1995 at the age of 46.

Thanks for the info easternthunder, really interesting stuff.
I'm surprised some enterprising label, (hello High Roller!), hasn't exhumed & released their vintage material.
You'd think particularly with the Maiden connection it'd be a no-brainer, and it would also be a nice doff of the cap to the late Charlie Tumahai.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

easternthunder wrote:
riptorn wrote:
easternthunder wrote:

I saw McKitty in April 1980 when they supported Wild Horses on their British tour. They were due to release a single ("Time Will Tell") in early summer, with an album to follow in the autumn. Sadly, neither release materialised, and I never heard any more of Nicko until he joined Trust in 1981.

Been meaning to necromance this thread with this info for ages but i kept forgetting.
I picked up the recent Rock Candy Records 2-disc remaster of LEGS DIAMOND's S/T debut album which comes with an excellent in depth & highly informative booklet describing the origins of the band, and it transpires that Donovan McKitty was a member of the group from 1974-1975.
Unfortunately, just at the point where the band were about to sign their 1st record deal with Mercury Records he was stricken with a disease called myasthenia gravis which affects the nerve endings & left him unable to play the guitar. With gigs to play & a deal on the table the band reluctantly replaced McKitty with Roger Romeo, but he was gracious enough to teach his replacement the guitar parts for the band's set so that there could be a seamless transition. In the sleevenotes Legs mainstay Michael Prince speaks very fondly of McKitty and praises his character.
Disc 2 of the remastered package features 11 outtakes & demos, including 5 songs which feature Donovan.
The sleeve notes also mention that post-Legs Diamond McKitty moved from L.A. to New York and, fully recovered, joined a band there called BLOODY MARY, who may or may not be the same band who released a lone self-titled album on the Family Productions label in 1974. After Bloody Mary split up McKitty wound up working with ROBERT PALMER, whilst his former band-mates became SUN, then SON, before changing their name again to MAYDAY, later releasing a self-titled 1981 LP and a follow up called 'Revenge' in '82.
Unfortunately, around the time this thread was last active Donovan McKitty passed away, (on Aug 01st 2017 to be exact), at 62 years of age.
Here is Donovan, guesting on an instrumental jam through JIMI HENDRIX's 'Little Wing' with BOMBASTIC MEATBATS, the side-band of Chad Smith, the drummer of RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS & CHICKENFOOT. The band also includes former PAUL ROGERS, PETER FRAMPTON & RONNIE MONTROSE keyboard player Ed Roth, ex-VXN, EDWIN DARE, MOGG/WAY & COSMOSQUAD guitarist Jeff Kolman & bassist Kevin Chow (ex-TARJA, EDWIN DARE, ARTENSION & SEBASTIAN BACH).
Really fantastic playing from all concerned. Donovan's on the far left of screen & takes the 1st solo. The song begins at the 2min 55 secs mark.

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Thank you, riptorn, for the additional information. I had no idea that Donovan had sadly passed away. Such a loss. He was a great songwriter, a superb guitarist and a thoroughly decent and friendly chap. As you suggested previously it would be great if the McKitty material would get released. It would be criminal if what they recorded were to be lost to the mists of time.
United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 97

easternthunder wrote:Thank you, riptorn, for the additional information. I had no idea that Donovan had sadly passed away. Such a loss. He was a great songwriter, a superb guitarist and a thoroughly decent and friendly chap. As you suggested previously it would be great if the McKitty material would get released. It would be criminal if what they recorded were to be lost to the mists of time.

I'm glad the info was of interest, and sorry to be the bearer of the unfortunate news that Donovan is no longer with us. Absolutely agree that a McKitty anthology should see the light of day, assuming those recordings still exist. As Nicko McBrain is now the only surviving member of the band, he may also be the only hope for any release for the material.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

« Return to Other