Other » How to rip vinyl?
Killtava wrote:
canadaspaceman wrote:How much are they asking?

the AT-LP60 model is simpler, less functions than a PRO turntable, and can be found for sale between $99 - $179.99 (Canadian).

About $500 US Dollars! Can you believe it?
But that's not a (big) surprise, since Brazil is suffering a crisis these days and our money worth nothing anymore.

That would certainly make it a lot worse. I didn't really think I would pay that much for a turntable either. But the more I read online, the more I saw people complaining about the cheaper turntables. I'm a scrooge who rarely buys things. I keep using clothes and things until they're full of holes and/or well and truly broken. So I don't mind spending a bit more to get something that should last a long time without problems.

Even worse, some of the turntables that are far more laughably expensive are all for the look and bragging rights, and the build quality is crap. I definitely do not see any value for money here for example:
http://www.thehifistore.co.nz/products/turntables

I don't trust positive reviews. Half of them are probably written by the resellers. I just want to know what the flaws of the product are, and buy the one with not too many flaws for the price.
New Zealand (nz) Male YouTube  
Name: Paul

Topics Solved: 4

Bloopy wrote:That would certainly make it a lot worse. I didn't really think I would pay that much for a turntable either. But the more I read online, the more I saw people complaining about the cheaper turntables. I'm a scrooge who rarely buys things. I keep using clothes and things until they're full of holes and/or well and truly broken. So I don't mind spending a bit more to get something that should last a long time without problems.

Even worse, some of the turntables that are far more laughably expensive are all for the look and bragging rights, and the build quality is crap. I definitely do not see any value for money here for example:
http://www.thehifistore.co.nz/products/turntables

I don't trust positive reviews. Half of them are probably written by the resellers. I just want to know what the flaws of the product are, and buy the one with not too many flaws for the price.

I did end up getting that cheaper Audio Technica model mentioned above, was about 150 bucks for turntable + replacement stylus. I've been very satisfied with it. I didn't realize how poor some of the masters were on a few of my vinyls, obviously nothing that the record player could do anything about, but most rips turned out excellent. Being the cheaper model, it doesn't have as many "fancy" features, but it has everything you would generally need.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 16

audacity is good!
Belgium (be) Male

Topics Solved: 0

VardisRules wrote: I don't like to use noise removal, because it not only removes pops and noise, but tends to dull the sound.
==
Usually, people just take a vinyl rip and master it to the point that the listener can't even tell it was ever taken from vinyl. I remove pops manually while listening to the recording. I love the purity of the vinyl, and don't mind a small amount of noise.
==
I record cassettes from a dual Phillips cassette deck directly into my Mac using Audacity.

I don't understand by what you mean "I remove pops manually while listening to the recording".
You are using Audacity, but not with the Noise Removal / Noise Reduction function ? I haven't fully explored how to use Audacity, as it took me awhile to learn how to navigate the basics of it.

Recently been thinking of re-recording some vinyl that has skips / pops / surface noise, and the only way that comes to mind is to buy a Spin-Clean Record Washer - type device.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 327

« Return to Other