Other » How to rip vinyl?
Since i saw this topic i have a question as well.
I used to record my lps like you said here my sound system connected to the pc ,audacity to separate the tracks etc.
But the last year i had to make some changes to the house and now the pc is in one room and the sound system in another so this way is not possible anymore.

So i'm looking for another way to rip vinyls i have seen for sale some equipment that maybe i can use for example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transform-You ... 3f18e96df2

And many more like this and i want to ask if anyone has something like this or something else to suggest?
I'm looking for a cheap solution and something kinda small because i don't have much of a space for something big.
Random avatar

Topics Solved: 3

I can't really help with the topic as I took the easy option and got a USB turntable. I'm no audiophile but I got a good quality turntable, so I can't really go wrong.

Some records come out sounding better than others, so maybe some just need a clean. Here's an example of one where I used no click/pop removal tools whatsoever, and I reckon it sounds just great:

New Zealand (nz) Male YouTube  
Name: Paul

Topics Solved: 4

That sounds surprisingly good for a USB table, which brand and which cart is on it?

I've helped a friend get setup w/ the Pro-Ject USB Phono II on his system and the recordings came out very good on it as well. The most important things as I said above 1) clean records 2) proper cart alignment. I go to the extreme on how I record them since I can tell a huge difference in playback when going through my main 2-channel setup. Tubes & big ass Klipsch Cornwall speakers are very revealing especially on the high end where most digital recordings have issues (cymbals start sounding like poop).

I don't suppose you would upload that full rip for us? Never heard of those guys but that was a pretty good track.
Bringer of Steel
Name: TheIconoclast

Topics Solved: 0

I use an old Technics turntable that I've had since the 80s. I rarely used it, and now I either use it or a Sony direct drive to record from. I record vinyl directly into a CD recorder. I then rip the tracks that are naturally created by the recorder to my Mac as Wav files. I use Audacity to then track the album to perfection at 24 bit. I don't like to use noise removal, because it not only removes pops and noise, but tends to dull the sound. For this reason, I only buy records that are very clean. I really love the sound of the vinyl, so I don't want to touch the recording too much. If you mess with the original recording too much, then it tends to sound like a remastered CD. This is mostly what happens when official reissues of the music that we love are re-released on CD. It's very rare for the actual DAT tapes or master tapes to exist for old metal reissues. Usually, people just take a vinyl rip and master it to the point that the listener can't even tell it was ever taken from vinyl. I remove pops manually while listening to the recording. I love the purity of the vinyl, and don't mind a small amount of noise.

I record cassettes from a dual Phillips cassette deck directly into my Mac using Audacity. I create one track and then split them and adjust the noise level. I use an audio cord with the red and white audio jacks on one end and a microphone jack on the other.
United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 14

NeeleSteele wrote:That sounds surprisingly good for a USB table, which brand and which cart is on it?

Audio Technica LP1240. It was about the only USB turntable I could find with little to no negative reviews online. Default cartridge. Normally this turntable doesn't come with a cartridge, but in this part of the world it comes with an AT95E. So lucky for me as a newbie, I didn't need to mount it myself.

I didn't plan to post the rip so you might not appreciate what quality it's saved at. Like I said, I'm not an audiophile! I'm a fan of things like noise music, and in this case, bands with fuzzy bass. I'll let you know when I've uploaded it.

Another record I ripped is from a crust/thrash punk band, possibly a lathe cut. It would seem kind of ironic to save that sort of thing as high quality .flac files. I realised afterwards that that band has already posted the recordings themselves anyway:
http://madblastsofchaos.blogspot.com/20 ... -that.html
New Zealand (nz) Male YouTube  
Name: Paul

Topics Solved: 4

being a muso,i recommend any DI device which acts like a pre amp... like M Audio fastrack,line 6 Toneport type stuff ,Tascam,Akai,Roland...etc
They all have L/R rca inputs to plug your turntable straight in
the D/A converters are ok
I'd stay clear of those $20+ free postage ebay china specials no name brand model items
there are plenty music company brands and models with all capabilities like tube simualtors and even real tubes depending on you wallet size
all come bundled with multitrack software
All these things work fine with Audacity as well ..as it recognises the asio drivers
Obviously a clean needle on your turntable is preferred
and maybe clean those old vinyls a bit
Some go for dirt cheap on ebay s/h
google the model numbers for full specs first
i dont recommend processing the input sound with any effects like de-esser,or the crackels and pops
It can all be done later by trial and error if needed
I prefer not to as these effects are just EQ type effects and find they just change the sound frequencies and degrade the digital sound
using eq effectively is an art masterd by sound engineers,and as some say,if you can hear the difference in some cases,youve applied too much of the effect
Australia (au) Male    
Name: exsanguinator

That Audio Technica LP1240 sounds like it does a really nice job. I need to upgrade my ripping system desperately, I'll keep it in mind.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 16

TadakatsuH0nda wrote:That Audio Technica LP1240 sounds like it does a really nice job. I need to upgrade my ripping system desperately, I'll keep it in mind.

I searched for that turntable in a brazilian webshop, and I almost spit my beer in the monitor when I saw the price... :(
FORUM MOD!
Brazil (br) Male 
Name: Mauro

Topics Solved: 9

Killtava wrote:I searched for that turntable in a brazilian webshop, and I almost spit my beer in the monitor when I saw the price... :(

Eww, yeah I don't want it at that price. (dislike)
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 

I have the Audio Technica AT-LP60.
No USB plug, I use an adapter to plug the 2 RCA plugs into the (1/8 inch 3.5mm) microphone (or "Line in") port.

It is the same model as my old turntable from The Source/ Radio Shack, the Nexxtech Lab 1100.

For a better sound quality,
I upgrade the needle cartridge by ordering ATN3600L, either Genuine Audio Technica , or the less expensive Aftermarket copies, from http://www.turntableneedles.com/

http://www.lpgear.com/product/NEXXTECLAB1100.html
http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_fo ... 18&t=57012
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 327

TadakatsuH0nda wrote:
Killtava wrote:I searched for that turntable in a brazilian webshop, and I almost spit my beer in the monitor when I saw the price... :(

Eww, yeah I don't want it at that price. (dislike)

How much are they asking?

the AT-LP60 model is simpler, less functions than a PRO turntable, and can be found for sale between $99 - $179.99 (Canadian).
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

canadaspaceman wrote:How much are they asking?

the AT-LP60 model is simpler, less functions than a PRO turntable, and can be found for sale between $99 - $179.99 (Canadian).

About $500 US Dollars! Can you believe it?
But that's not a (big) surprise, since Brazil is suffering a crisis these days and our money worth nothing anymore.
FORUM MOD!
Brazil (br) Male 
Name: Mauro

Topics Solved: 9

Hey canadaspaceman, would I be able to bother you for an example of what a rip from your turntable sounds like? I'm thinking of upgrading to something better than what I've got in the next couple months here.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 

My system
http://www.kogerer.ru/www/subj/pic/d5051.jpg + http://www.hi-fi.ru/upload/iblock/fe2/fe2c068dfbe304e5e62dea3bfda96d74.jpg + http://www.hifi-wiki.de/images/b/b4/Philips_22AH_270_1.jpg + http://images.grabmore.com/ProductImages_M6/043774028658.jpg + Adobe Audition

• 1 likes this
Russia (ru) Male
Name: Dmitriy

TadakatsuH0nda wrote:Hey canadaspaceman, would I be able to bother you for an example of what a rip from your turntable sounds like? I'm thinking of upgrading to something better than what I've got in the next couple months here.

(:D)
Inner Thought (Can) - Disorder Of Battles [Single] (1993) [Lossless Vinyl Rip]
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10973
Frost Like Ashes (US) - Born To Pieces [single] (2008) 192
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=21515
Heavy Load (Swe) 1982 Death Or Glory @ wav vinyl rip
viewtopic.php?f=175&t=18944
The Mad (ex-M.A.D.) (Can) - Albino [7''Single] (1993) [Lossless Vinyl Rip]
viewtopic.php?f=170&t=20003
Griffin (US) - Live '82 [7'' Single] (1982) [Lossless Vinyl Rip]
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19494
The Pleasure Seekers (US) - What A Way To Die [Single] (1965) [Lossless Vinyl Rip]
viewtopic.php?f=118&t=19860
Face First (US) ‎– Selfishness [Single] (1991) 320
viewtopic.php?f=107&t=17373
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Wow that's a hundred million times better than anything my machine could ever do.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 

canadaspaceman wrote:No USB plug, I use an adapter to plug the 2 RCA plugs into the (1/8 inch 3.5mm) microphone (or "Line in") port.

Which of these would be required, since I'm not exactly sure how it all hooks up to the machine.
http://i.imgur.com/vYkAV4o.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ziaep3b.jpg
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 

For the turntable I got, you need to buy the first adapter you shown.
fairly sure, most turntables have the same plugs out (because it usually it would go into an amplifier)

http://i.imgur.com/vYkAV4o.jpg

Also, if you never thought about it, adjust the input levels on the recording Devices of your Audio.
If no speaker icon in your bottom taskbar, try looking in your Control Panel, audio manager, etc

http://i.imgur.com/g9bhtkL.jpg
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Will do. Thanks for the help. When I get around to buying this, I'll be sure to ask if I run into any problems.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 

iZotope RX is the best.
Bringer of Steel
Name: TheIconoclast

« Return to Other