Band Questions » Song help: Proto-speed metal song with Bach Intro (1980/81 or thereabouts)
When I was a wee lad in the early 80's I used to tape Dutch heavy metal radio show Stampij (there's a topic about it) from the radio. This particular episode I was taping started with a few strokes of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor followed by a (for that time) really fast heavy metal song, with somewhat rough, Lemmy-like vocals and there were some weird, spacy sound effects too, though I'm pretty sure it's not Motörhead or Hawkwind.

The tape in question is long since vanished but I never forgot the song. I also remember in that same episode they played UFO's Long Gone, Tygers of Pan Tang's Slave to Freedom, Electric Sun's Indian Dawn and Motörhead's Live To Win, so it must have been around 80/81.

Anybody know what song I'm talking about?
Netherlands (nl) Male 
Name: Robbert

Topics Solved: 0

From your description the band could be Rollerball from Florence (Italy)...are you sure of the year?

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Rollerball/35706

They released in 1984 an EP entitled Outlast The Game where the opener song (Rollerball,had
the same name of the band) had that Bach's intro and the spacy keyboards effects.

• 1 likes this
Name: Marco

Topics Solved: 68

Ha! I checked it out but no, that's not it. It's not bad though, so thanks anyway. The singer's voice reminds me of the guy from Living Death (hehe)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was 1981.

• 1 likes this
Netherlands (nl) Male 
Name: Robbert

Topics Solved: 0

The only suggestion i can come up with that begins with Toccata and Fugue is a live version of Highway Star by Deep Purple. Don't know what year that came out, but i'm guessing this probably isn't the song you're after anyway.
Actually, now i think about it, didn't Megadeth also incorporate part of Toccata into a song on their debut LP?
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

riptorn wrote:The only suggestion i can come up with that begins with Toccata and Fugue is a live version of Highway Star by Deep Purple. Don't know what year that came out, but i'm guessing this probably isn't the song you're after anyway.
Actually, now i think about it, didn't Megadeth also incorporate part of Toccata into a song on their debut LP?

No, Megadeth's piano intro on 'Last Rites' is different.
If it wasn't for the year's restriction and the 'Lemmy' vocals I would recommend Bach's Toccata by Vavel or the Cirith Ungol version.

Would also love to find the mystery song!
Marshall Island (mh) Male

Topics Solved: 12

« Return to Band Questions