Band Questions » Metal Archives band research thread
I hope it's alright to post this here. Over at MA, we have a thread specifically for obscure bands that elude adding one way or another and require more digging (usually it's either no proof for/information about releases and/or lack of samples to assess the music). I figured it'd be worth a shot to share this here: https://www.metal-archives.com/board/vi ... 7&t=104654

The full list of bands can be found in the spoiler'd section. Any help greatly appreciated (be it here or over there). \m/ (YDY)
_________________________
"No cat food and a toe knife out the window?! I mean, what am I doin'? Puttin' on airs because I got company?" || Last.fm | Discogs | BOINC
User avatar
Austria (at) Male  
Status:Offline
Rank: Fear My Way
Location: Gradec, Styria
Posts: 83

Reputation: 3035
Topics Solved: 5

I still wonder where is the Praying Mantis page...


Ok, i know, they're playing melodic stuff/aor from decades now...so why not delete the Def Leppard page for the same reason?
_________________________
"Solo i Morti Hanno Visto La Fine Della Guerra - Only The Dead Have Seen The End Of War.”
User avatar
Bringer of Steel
Status:Offline
Name: Marco
Rank: Bringer of Steel
Posts: 1195

Reputation: 71858
Topics Solved: 69


I gave up on them (MA). Three times I tried getting Phantasmagoria (us/ny) put on there. I supplied the actual demo recording given to me by the band in 1990. I have sent pics, concert flier.....I guess they just don't want to add them. I don't know what more they want. And considering the misinformation I see everywhere, I just gave up.

  • 1 likes this
User avatar
Banned
United States (us) Male
Status:Offline
Name: Mikael Vaalkoth
Rank: Banned
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1402

Reputation: 42824
Topics Solved: 6


C'mon, guys... (facepalm)

You are both more than welcome to PM me and I'll address your points, or you can post over at MA's S&C subforum (both issues can be cleared up by reading our rules and guidelines, though). However, I did not create this thread for off-topic complaints. I kindly ask the mods here to either lock this, if they feel that the thread is only going to be trouble, or to please moderate it to keep things on topic. Thanks (and sorry for the trouble) either way.

  • 1 likes this
_________________________
"No cat food and a toe knife out the window?! I mean, what am I doin'? Puttin' on airs because I got company?" || Last.fm | Discogs | BOINC
User avatar
Austria (at) Male  
Status:Offline
Rank: Fear My Way
Location: Gradec, Styria
Posts: 83

Reputation: 3035
Topics Solved: 5


nonseinormale65 wrote:I still wonder where is the Praying Mantis page...


Ok, i know, they're playing melodic stuff/aor from decades now...so why not delete the Def Leppard page for the same reason?

Yes, this one has always confused me. They even have a page for Alice in Chains who were never metal.

  • 1 likes this
User avatar
United States (us) Male 
Status:Offline
Rank: Chasing the Storm
Location: Maryland
Posts: 27

Reputation: 12
Topics Solved: 0


The_Sentinel wrote:
nonseinormale65 wrote:I still wonder where is the Praying Mantis page...


Ok, i know, they're playing melodic stuff/aor from decades now...so why not delete the Def Leppard page for the same reason?

Yes, this one has always confused me. They even have a page for Alice in Chains who were never metal.


Yet to my mind AIC were/are still heavier than either of the other bands mentioned. It's a wacky old world.
Agreed, they were never 'Metal', but Metal was always a big part of what Alice did, whilst Def Lep & Mantis only fleetingly engaged with the style on their early records & never returned to it.
This is however the only instance i can think of where i actually 'agree' with MA.
Pretty much everything about Metal Archives baffles me.
It's inconsistent, incomplete & filled with glaring errors.
Add to that the shitty attitudes & snobbery amongst it's members and it's no wonder people have no respect for that site.
No disrespect meant to you personally Azmodes, you seem like a perfectly reasonable guy from your posts here, i'm just expressing my personal opinion on my own experiences of MA and i know there are many others here who feel the same way about the site.

  • 1 likes this
User avatar
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 
Status:Offline
Rank: Bringer of Steel
Location: Ecosse
Posts: 1501

Reputation: 30879
Topics Solved: 92


riptorn wrote:
The_Sentinel wrote:
nonseinormale65 wrote:I still wonder where is the Praying Mantis page...


Ok, i know, they're playing melodic stuff/aor from decades now...so why not delete the Def Leppard page for the same reason?

Yes, this one has always confused me. They even have a page for Alice in Chains who were never metal.


Yet to my mind AIC were/are still heavier than either of the other bands mentioned. It's a wacky old world.
Agreed, they were never 'Metal', but Metal was always a big part of what Alice did, whilst Def Lep & Mantis only fleetingly engaged with the style on their early records & never returned to it.
This is however the only instance i can think of where i actually 'agree' with MA.
Pretty much everything about Metal Archives baffles me.
It's inconsistent, incomplete & filled with glaring errors.
Add to that the shitty attitudes & snobbery amongst it's members and it's no wonder people have no respect for that site.
No disrespect meant to you personally Azmodes, you seem like a perfectly reasonable guy from your posts here, i'm just expressing my personal opinion on my own experiences of MA and i know there are many others here who feel the same way about the site.


I definitely get that and it makes sense. I was going to come back with "then they should have bands like Sir Lord Baltimore", but they already do. I disproved my own point Haha! (beer1)
User avatar
United States (us) Male 
Status:Offline
Rank: Chasing the Storm
Location: Maryland
Posts: 27

Reputation: 12
Topics Solved: 0


The_Sentinel wrote:I was going to come back with "then they should have bands like Sir Lord Baltimore", but they already do. I disproved my own point Haha! (beer1)


Lol. You beat yourself!
You at least made me dig out my Sir Lord Baltimore disc to give it a long overdue listen tomorrow.
It's been much too long since i last blared 'Kingdom Come' at nosebleed volume.
(great)
Cheers for the inspiration!
User avatar
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 
Status:Offline
Rank: Bringer of Steel
Location: Ecosse
Posts: 1501

Reputation: 30879
Topics Solved: 92


riptorn wrote:Add to that the shitty attitudes & snobbery amongst it's members and it's no wonder people have no respect for that site.


Yes, that exactly! I'm very, very wary of using their forums because a lot of the members there are incredibly precious and have incredibly fragile egos!
User avatar
United Kingdom (uk) Male
Status:Offline
Rank: Chasing the Storm
Posts: 35

Reputation: 69
Topics Solved: 0


I use MA mainly for new releases and updating all the japanese and local german bands I get legit informations about.
I never had any issues with a mod or admin (some discussions about adding bands and why I updated somewhat this or that way excluded, but this always went to an good ending)
User avatar
Bringer of Steel
Germany (de) MaleYouTube 
Status:Offline
Rank: Bringer of Steel
Posts: 139

Reputation: 2453
Topics Solved: 4


« Return to Band Questions



Related Topics  Author   Replies   Views 
related V/A - Texas Metal Archives Volume 1 [Compilation] (2009)

Strappado

0

1326

related Let's finally update Metal Archives' old-school bands' pages

aeternus90

20

1528

related [SOLVED] [REQS] V/A - Texas Metal Archives Vol 1 [Compilation] ('80s bands - released 2009)

riptorn

1

568

related White Hornet (USA) - news thread (Traditional Heavy Metal/Thrash)

Mcniggleston

2

675

related [SOLVED] [REQS] The Spanish gothic metal band Eternya and the American sludge metal Sloth

Lich Coldheart

2

746

related Hell (UK) [black metal band]

Necrodictator

0

675

related The Hellraiser-Welsh heavy metal band?

A.D.D.

0

793


« Previous topic | Next topic »

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest