Band Questions » Phil Anselmo's weird voice
I know that this question is not music related, but does anyone know why Phil Anselmo's (Pantera) voice is so deep/messed up? I'm not talking about his on stage performances, but instead his normal talking voice.
United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 0

I'm guessing that it's a combination of factors.
His more extreme style of singing with Pantera, Superjoint etc. must have taken a toll on his voicebox, his chain-smoking, (of cigarettes, cannabis & heroin), is surely a factor too, his drinking may have played a part and additionally, the voice naturally lowers in pitch with age.
As Phil is now around 50 that's probably beginning to happen as well.
It's hard to believe that his speaking voice can get any lower, he's gonna end up being the Heavy Metal Barry White!
Personally i wish he'd stop dicking around with his side projects and get properly focussed on Down again, as i love their stuff.
To me that's the only group he's been in that's worthy of a place in my record collection.

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 96

All the heroin he shot up. And I also think part of it is an act, like David Vincent did as well. Personally, I cannot stand Phil Anselmo or Pantera. Both suck. The only good Pantera was the 3rd LP from '85, and that was before Phil joined. And the ONLY thing Phil ever did that was actually good was play guitar in Necrophagia in the late 90's. But I cannot stand his vocal style.

• 2 likes this
Banned
United States (us) Male
Name: Mikael Vaalkoth

Topics Solved: 6

well.. "Superjoint".
I agree with the responses above. He's certainly not the only one to mess up his voice. Also, he sounds like a Transformer.
Name: Ash

Topics Solved: 10

« Return to Band Questions