Band Questions » Changing of Band Members
How do you get over and begin to like a new musician in a band? I have a dilemma, I love Marty Friedman's period, there are only two other guitarists that are on the same level and they are Chris Poland and Jeff Young. Al Pitrelli and Glen Drover were alright after the first three lead guitarists but not as great. How am I meant to like Chris Broderick? The same thing has happened with the new guitarist of Judas Priest. Another is Ozzy Osbourne and Randy Rhoads. Although there has been some good stuff released, I still cannot handle listening to anyone playing the leads of Ozzy's first two albums apart from Randy.

I can name other bands and musicians but Marty Friedman is the major one, when I listen to live albums or bootlegs of Chris Broderick playing the leads of Marty Friedman I'm just disappointed. I used to have the same feeling about Kirk Hammett and Dave Mustaine but I've managed to overcome that. Gar Samuelson, Chuck Behler and Nick Menza were Megadeth's best drummers. I still have a problem with their newest drummer, Shawn Drover. Am I just being judgemental? Can anyone shed some light on the matter?
Australia (au) Male
Name: Axle

Topics Solved: 0

Am I guilty of the same thing because I just can't listen to the Judas Priest albums Jugulator and Demolition? To me, Judas Priest without Rob Halford just isn't Judas Priest at all. I had the same problem with Black Sabbath when Ozzy wasn't fronting them. Sometimes I think new band members have some big shoes to fill and its a touch task.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 16

I couldn't get into Jugulator or Demolition either. I agree although without K. K. Downing, Glenn Tipton and Rob Halford it isn't Judas Priest. I actually love Black Sabbath with Ozzy and Ronnie James Dio. I guess at the point it would have been a big shock to even attempt to accept or like someone completely different to Ozzy. They sure do. I guess if they are a great singer then it can work such as in the case of Paul DI'Anno and Bruce Dickinson. They were both great.
Australia (au) Male

I only have a problem with vocalists. Changing vocalists are most time a bad thing. However, there's some occasions when they can do as better as the 'classic' vocalist or better. I love Toni in Accept as much as I love Udo, I also love all black sabbath singers.

For no vocalists, they can became a problem when leaving the band if they are some kind of 'icon' for the band. Like... Iron Maiden without Steve Haris...
FORUM MOD!
Brazil (br) Male 
Name: Mauro

Topics Solved: 9

I don't know much of Accept's material. The vocalist (Udo Dirkschneider) reminds me a bit of Bon Scott in the video "Balls to the Wall" although he sounds completely different on "Fast as a Shark". That would be a big problem if Steve Harris wasn't in Iron Maiden because he is the backbone of that band. I think when a singer of a band dies such as Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot and the band continues is a real crime. Especially when there isn't a single original member in the band when it happens.
Australia (au) Male

I hate the new band ...guitar player has no feel/fire or emotion ...just boring as fuck...same with the new drummer. Megadeath was on fire with Marty and Nick...just a great band.....you would hear them and it would just get you're hart beating faster.
I think Dave wants yes men now that just do what he says....but its just boring.
Random avatar
United States (us) Male

I usually only find vocalist changes noticeable, probably because I'm not a musician. I get used to a new vocalist quite easily if I like their sound, but usually bands seem to pick boring vocalists that I don't like, haha. If it's a band I really like I keep listening anyway.

Some bands like AC/DC, Mayhem and Alice in Chains made good choices I think. Bands that just don't sound the same to me now include Candlemass, Diamond Head and Exodus.

Black Sabbath with Tony Martin mostly bores me, I just don't hear anything interesting in his voice. I'd prefer if they'd recorded more with Glenn Hughes. His voice has much more character, although the songs on Seventh Star weren't that interesting.

To me Megadeth still sounds ok, but most of the songs on the last 3 or 4 albums are just not interesting.
New Zealand (nz) Male YouTube  
Name: Paul

Topics Solved: 4

lead2203 wrote:I hate the new band ...guitar player has no feel/fire or emotion ...just boring as fuck...same with the new drummer. Megadeath was on fire with Marty and Nick...just a great band.....you would hear them and it would just get you're hart beating faster.
I think Dave wants yes men now that just do what he says....but its just boring.

I'm glad it's not just me being pedantic about it. I'm not a musician either but I am very picky when it comes to music and talent. There is so much rubbish out there, it can be difficult to find the best. I used to love listening to Megadeth but their past few albums have been disappointing unfortunately. I can even get a kick out of the album "Risk" and it's the least metal out of all their material.

I prefer Bon Scott to Brian Johnson, I don't like black metal but what happened in the early years of Mayhem is quite sad. Two people lost their lives. I haven't really listened to Alice in Chains, Candlemass, Diamond Head and Exodus to comment. I only know Whipping Queen by Exodus and 'Helpless/It's Electric/Am I Evil?/The Prince by Diamond Head. I wasn't impressed with Tony Martin either haha. I completely agree with you, Glenn Hughes was good but there was something lacking from "Seventh Star".

The last album by Megadeth that is really good was "The World Needs A Hero". It had the power, the speed and aggression. I think this whole born-again thing messed up Dave's head. I have nothing against religious people or religious views but this messed him up. Going from one extreme to another. It's just depressing how two of the greatest bands of all time (Metallica and Megadeth) went downhill. They made many brilliant albums, most bands make one or two great records and then they turn to crap. Metallica were great up until about 1989 (when Bob Rock entered the scene) and Megadeth to 1999 (when they lost Marty Friedman).
Australia (au) Male

Metallica and Megadeth have become complete opposites in a way. I like everything Metallica's done apart from a few songs. They've experimented, taken risks and just generally made a mess, haha. They could've done better, but at least it's interesting.

Megadeth has just played it safe and boring. Like you say, maybe it's because Dave has changed, not because of the rest of the lineup changing. I like songs that do something different to stand out and make you notice them, like Hangar 18 or Sweating Bullets. Or even 1000 Times Goodbye for a laugh.

Metallica has been interesting, although since 1989 they haven't done amazingly brilliant. They did make a mess especially with two of the worst of all time in my opinion "Lulu" and "St. Anger".

Marty Friedman was a guitar virtuoso and I guess anything after him will never be as great unless someone just as great or someone better comes along. If Chris Poland or even Jeff Young came back to Megadeth at least I would be happy. I was not happy with Rust In Peace Live, I was actually disappointed and when I saw the trailer for the Countdown to Extinction Live release I was again disappointed by the sound. I think Megadeth has just been safe and boring. Dave used to be so angry and the power and soul was there. Don't get me wrong, I love both bands but they both have lost their touch.
Australia (au) Male

I thought Rust in Peace live was great. Like I said, I mostly only notice vocalist changes, and each time I've seen Megadeth the vocals have been more audible than before. So even if the band hasn't improved, my experience has. I'm thinking about this now because it was just announced that Megadeth's playing a little festival here before Soundwave, so I'll get to see them a 5th time! Other international bands I like better start booking if they want to keep up. (headbang)

If you're happy with it, that's the main thing. I guess I'm just expecting another virtuoso and that is not what Chris Broderick is. I saw Megadeth back in 2009 and it was okay but it wasn't as amazing as I thought it might have been. I guess I had more expectation.
Australia (au) Male

« Return to Band Questions