What´s this? - Another bot??
Random avatar
Brazil (br) Male

Topics Solved: 0

Where's the "Thank for post" bottom?
Random avatar
Brazil (br) Male

Herman_87 wrote:Where's the "Thank for post" bottom?

https://i.imgur.com/UdnJqGz.png

• 2 likes this
Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1420

Is it my imagination or are people finally getting the hang of awarding reputation points when they thank for posts? After years & years of most people only giving 1 point, my latest uploads have gotten a clean sweep of 5's!

https://i.imgur.com/Zoe5m51.jpeg

• 2 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 93

The whole points thing is still a bit of a new thing to me and despite it all being self explanatory it's just something different to get used to. After 20 years of running forums and participating in them I've spent years avoiding the "like system" which reminded me too much of Facebook. Then when XenForo became the norm for a lot of sites I did get a little more used to the idea of liking something, but old habits die hard and to me forums are still about conversation so I tend to thank via post. On this system I tend to hit the thanks, then the points, forget about a comment, then go back to the thread and realise I should have thanked on the points screen. Old man. Old habits. Mush for a brain. It will happen eventually, apologies until it does :)

Deathdancer wrote:The whole points thing is still a bit of a new thing to me and despite it all being self explanatory it's just something different to get used to. After 20 years of running forums and participating in them I've spent years avoiding the "like system" which reminded me too much of Facebook. Then when XenForo became the norm for a lot of sites I did get a little more used to the idea of liking something, but old habits die hard and to me forums are still about conversation so I tend to thank via post. On this system I tend to hit the thanks, then the points, forget about a comment, then go back to the thread and realise I should have thanked on the points screen. Old man. Old habits. Mush for a brain. It will happen eventually, apologies until it does :)

Obviously you are a newbie here...some years ago this forum became a total mess,hundreds of only "thanks","cool" etc. in every single topic that added nothing to the discussions...and what is worst the forum slowed down as it was not able to handle the huge mass of useless pages causing also the malfunction of the "search" option...and worst of worst at least once a week the forum used to went offline because of this for 24/48 hours...believe me it's much better now!!!

• 2 likes this
Name: Marco

Topics Solved: 69

I agree that like buttons work better than one word posts, but coming from a background of wanting to create traffic and wanting users actively commenting on a site it's just something different to me. As is the points system which we used to remove so as not to create pissing competitions. We even went through a stage of removing post counts because once people got up past 30,000 posts it created competitions like "who will be first to 35K", "who will be first to 40K" etc. Traffic is good but it's got to be the right form of traffic and every forum owner has a different idea about traffic and how much they can deal with.

Deathdancer wrote:On this system I tend to hit the thanks, then the points, forget about a comment, then go back to the thread and realise I should have thanked on the points screen. Old man. Old habits. Mush for a brain. It will happen eventually, apologies until it does :)

To be honest, it took me years to notice that there were messages amongst the reputation posts, somehow that whole aspect of the forum just wasn't on my radar for a long time.
Likely because, like you, i'm an ole timer who's stuck in my ways.
Now that i've cottoned on to how that all works it's become second nature to go & check my recent uploads occasionally to check the comments & to leave them myself when i have something to say about others posts.
I don't think anyone's expecting everybody to comment on every single post they d/l, but if someone chips in a little extra info on a band or release it's appreciated & if you get a 'thanx, i've been after this for years' it does give you a little ecouragement to keep on uploading.
Echoing nonseinormale65's comments, things had become a real mess here at one point courtesy of all the pointless 'thanks' posts, so huge appreciation should go to those mods who painstakingly removed all of them a few years back & made the site so much better thanks to their efforts.
(cheers1)
As Girlschool are so fond of saying, "Cheers You Lot!!!"
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Our biggest problem with pointless posting was "+1" posts, no comment, no thanks, just a +1. When you have hundreds of opinion based threads all you need is 5 users who can't think of anything to say and just type +1, in a few threads they follow, then another 5 who know it's annoying but do it for shits and giggles and suddenly there is a lot of pointless posts. For those people Overkill said it best :)

• 1 likes this

Deathdancer wrote:For those people Overkill said it best :)

(hehe) (hehe) (hehe) (hehe) (hehe)
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

thanx!!!!
Random avatar
Mexico (mx) Male

riptorn wrote:Is it my imagination or are people finally getting the hang of awarding reputation points when they thank for posts? After years & years of most people only giving 1 point, my latest uploads have gotten a clean sweep of 5's!

https://i.imgur.com/Zoe5m51.jpeg

I have set 5 as default :)
Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1420

« Return to Support