Updates and news regarding the forum!.
Announcements » Mediafire Account Suspended
Probably.. would some time though
Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1420

As long as it is searchable, the track info and scans are up on the blog, so it would save time reuploading as well as responding to endless reupload requests. Or you could just move the stuff to a second hard drive and ship it to metalshared.

Topics Solved: 0

Thanks Strappado. Go Figure.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/heavy-metal-mayhem
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) Male  
Name: Mike

I like all the comments. I have to say that I'm a big proponent of this site. I think that it is a great way for members from all around the globe to communicate in basically a digital metal community. I told Craig Thomas from Preyer that I downloaded the "Terminator" album from a blog in order to hear it, and then I contacted him in order to order an official copy from the band. I, also, downloaded Slander's "Carless Talk" from a blog, reviewed the album, and started corresponding with the guitarist. It all led to me contacting Stormspell to set Slander up with a recording contract to officially release "Careless Talk" on disc. These things prove that blogs like this one can lead to some really great things for bands, who want their music to be heard.

In the end, no matter who's responsible, I feel bad for Strappado. He put a lot of time into uploading the music, and it was wiped out.

I'm sure he is a resilient guy though.

Bruce

• 3 likes this
United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 14

Some great points there Bruce, thanks for the backup!.
Trough the years I have been in touch with tons of bands who actually THANKED me for posting their stuff
and some bands (new and old) even get in touch and want me to post their albums to reach out to the public (this includes signed bands).

Now there is some artist and labels out there who actually support the blog,
god you should see all my e-mails from labels, I could write a book!
many labels mail me regarding contacts to bands, which I gladly help them with (if I can)
I don't know if you know this, but here is actualy some releases out there who have been
made possible thanks to the blog. But the most important thing is that band-members
actually have been able to find each other via the blog and get the spark to
record and play together again!.

And don't feel bad for me - it's just digital stuff. It would have been worse if it was my physical collection that was wiped out =).

• 1 likes this

This is absolutely disgusting. I'm totally against free downloading of anything that's available new, but as Strappado says, he only accepts out-of-print stuff for the blog. Bands/labels are advised on the blog's homepage that, if they object to anything being uploaded, they only have to contact Strappado and he'll remove it - can't say fairer than that. In some cases, the material is actually donated by a member of the band in question and, as Bruce has said, this blog has helped bands by bringing them to the attention of record labels.

• 1 likes this
Random avatar
Ireland (ie) Male

Greetings. I've been away for some time now and i was not aware of the situation. It's really a shame what happened to so many files that as mentioned are out of print. I completely agree with most of the posts here. I've also seen myself band members beeing here and even posting unreleased matterial, labels anouncing releases, people buying these releases and so on. I think almost everyone here supports bands in any possible way. The most sad thing here is that there are bands supporting those greedy fuckers who doesn't give a shit about music but instead getting rich by someone elses copyrighted stuff (bootleggers, greedy sellers, companies and so on). Sharing is NOT killing music (on the other hand it keeps it alive as when you like something you hear you're going to buy it, otherwise you would not be aware of it...). The music industry does. How can a company claim to own the rights of demos and privetely pressed records of the 80s? And would it be better to let all this long out of print stuff burried and forgotten? And we always buy records, does the band or even the label get paid form out of print records we buy from personall collections? I don't think that there are a lot of releases uploaded here that you can buy directly from the band or the label anymore so whats with all that noise? Strange days... Anyway, i'm really sorry, i just want to say thanks and keep up to Strappado and anyone else involved here, and if there's anything that can be done let us know.
Lets try to keep music alive.............
Bringer of Steel
Greece (gr) Male
Name: Kostas

Topics Solved: 9

Strappado wrote:Trough the years I have been in touch with tons of bands who actually THANKED me for posting their stuff.

I've been lucky enough to have experienced the same thing @ my blog, (New Improved Live & Otherwise), with musicians from long forgotten bands getting in touch to thank us for keeping their names out there.
Some have been so pleased or surprised to see their stuff on the net that they've actually provided further (sometimes uncirculated) material to share through the blog, and fleshed out the band histories, or provided pics or scans to accompany the uploads.
The only (partially) negative experience i've had was when a particular band's management got a bit heavy with us after we'd posted a few o-o-p albums by "their" act.
However, the following day a member of the band in question got in touch to apoligise for the way his management had handled things, explaining that they were gearing up for a new catalogue reissue campaign.
Fair enough, i don't want to hurt anyone's record sales, so we took the material in question down.
The next day, the same band member got in touch to thank us for removing the albums in question, and provided us with a top quality rip of a very rare album from another act he'd been in, and gave us his blessing to post it on the blog as it was out of print.
So in my experience, the artists themselves have been mainly pleased that their music is being shared and that people still enjoy and care about it. However, there have been several times when overzealous management or record labels have gotten involved, under the mistaken belief that they are protecting their clients.
Sorry to hear about Mediafire deleting your account Strappado, i know exactly how galling it is having just lost 3 years worth of uploads myself when Megaupload went down.
I think, given the new circumstances we find ourselves in, that creative uploading is gonna be the way to go, at least in the near future.
Using multi-upload sites, link disguising etc, will help the uploads last longer, but these are tough times, we'll have to play it by ear and see how things pan out.
The work you do is very much appreciated. Long may it continue.
(cheers1)
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 93

Strappado wrote:You pay these companies/bands to play their music and they still report it?
Sadly no, and that is the worst part. BMI and ASCAP do pay royalties to artists with the money from their exorbitant license fees. However, the amount of royalties artists get is based on how much airplay their music recieves on major radio stations. In other words, he's paying Justin Beiber and Lady Gaga so that he can play Wallop and Dammaj demo tapes.
Bringer of Steel

What would it take to set up private servers?

Now whats the story with Thatcher - Destined to conquer EP ??? As i can see, the band are still split up...
Here is a Hotfile take down notification on my mail :

This mail is to notify you that the access to the following links was disabled
as a result of received complaint of copyright holders of the files. If you believe
that access to this files were disabled by mistake, please follow the instructions
in our Intelectual Property Policy (http://hotfile.com/ippolicy.html)
and use the following link to submit a counter-claim ( http://hotfile.com/counterclaim.html?h= ... id=5382922 )

http://hotfile.com/dl/156343456/ffccace ... p.rar.html

--
Hotfile.com abuse team
Greece (gr) Male  
Name: Andreas

Topics Solved: 28

Seems like theyr'e up to something.
The vocalist made this comment a while ago at the blog:

This was our only effort to make a demo to present to the record companies.
Shit man, we were only 18 and 19 years old then. I you like it - awesome.
If you don't - that's cool to. If you critique it - try and do better yourself asshole!
Brian Rawlings
Thatcher

Some articles I recommend :

Web Series To Explore The Impact Of The Internet On Heavy Metal
If Major Labels Are All About Helping Artists, Why Do We Keep Seeing Artists Calling Out Their Labels For Screwing Them?
How Big Music Companies Are Stealing Hundreds Of Millions In Royalties From Artists

The phenomenon of musicians making DMCA complaints regarding material which has not been in print for ten years or more is new to me! It's not widely known, but pickles have been found lodged in the sphincters of some musicians, this is not a pathology limited only to regular people.
Canada (ca) Male 

• 1 likes this
Canada (ca) Male 

Damn i love this guy (bow)
Greece (gr) Male  
Name: Andreas

Topics Solved: 28

AchiLLeS wrote:Damn i love this guy (bow)

He's pretty good, eh?

(bow) Hehe!
Canada (ca) Male 

My Mediafire account just got suspended.

the email I got said that the file Avalanche - Scratching at the Surface was taken down. It was self-released in 1996 so this claim is as much bullshit as when microsoft took down thrustt - Call the Boyz out.
FORUM MOD!
R.I.P. 1996 - 2016
United States (us) MaleYouTube  

Topics Solved: 3

This is why I simply use 4shared...none of the Mediafire BS.

Bleed 'em Dry
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) Male YouTube 
Name: Matt St.Ours

Topics Solved: 4

Mcniggleston wrote:This is why I simply use 4shared...none of the Mediafire BS.

I started that account 4 years ago and have a mirrorcreater account for new uploads.
FORUM MOD!
R.I.P. 1996 - 2016
United States (us) MaleYouTube  

Topics Solved: 3

« Return to Announcements