Do you write reviews? share them with the other readers here!
Reviews » [Review] Real - Gerbera (1996)
  • Take everything that made visual kei attractive, mix it with the best of early speed metal X-Japan era and put your modern take on heavy metal with electronic driven sounds, and you get Real. These guys were presumably around for a decade, released some material, just to be forgotten and never heard again, but after listening to Gerbera, only one question comes to mind. Why?

First of all, I did not expect anything. Sure, their look seemed interesting and fresh, sticking out of all the gothic and poppy visual acts of the time but seeing that they faded into obscurity, I thought that they weren't anything too special. Damn, I'm glad I was wrong. The demo itself is just over 8 minutes long but it delivered really strong. Their main sound was an amazing and interesting take on modernized metal, with heavy electronics and keyboards always keeping tempo with the guitars, drummer and vocalist, giving the songs an unique atmosphere, mood and catchiness. Both Gerbera and Mis Deed are filled with superb riffs, excellent drumming, great vocals and prominent solos, but what really stood out, was Yukina's outstanding composing gift. He composed catchy, delightful and expressive electronic sounds, which go perfectly with the music, even enhancing it and giving it a richer and more complete sound. Add in the somewhat raw production (probably because it was recorded with a low budget) and you get a demo like no other. The only complain I have, is that the bass isn't that audible, but what's there is still okay.

Gerbera is on of their main displays of what made them so damn charming. What you have here is a electronic/keyboard driven take on heavy and power/speed metal with an nuance of progressiveness, which I have never heard before. Probably not for everyone but definitely an interesting and unique experience.
    Name: David

Topics Solved: 2

Name: David

Topics Solved: 2

« Return to Reviews