FORUM RULES
------------------
DON'T REQUEST 2010-2019 RELEASES AND ALBUMS STILL AVAILABLE FROM THE BAND OR LABEL.

Always put [REQS] before the topic title!. Try to include as much details as possible - country, release year, format, tracklist, sources/links.
Search the forum / Google before requesting!!.

NWOBHM [Requests] » [REQS] So What! (UK) - Is It All Over [Single] (1985/86?) / So What! [MC] (1983) / Comp Tracks (1982) + BBC Session (85)
  • http://i.imgur.com/DnaacAL.png

Anyone got this Scottish band's single 'Is It All Over / Now I Don't Want You Around' (Private #WHAT1) or self-titled cassette album for share?

Also looking for "Fool´s Love" and "Me And You" featured on the 'Kikrock Volume One (1982)' compilation, also the BBC Session recorded in 1985.

Click song-titles for samples.

Last Known Line-up
    Tommy "Smylie" Smillie - Vocals, Bass (Ninja)
    Rod Earl - Guitar (Ninja) R.I.P
    Des Duffy - Guitar (Ninja)
    Gary "Gerry Duffy" Duff - Drums (Ninja)

Former / Past Members
    Andy Aitken - Guitar, Vocals
    John Gray - Guitar, Vocals
    Bert Lowe - Drums, Vocals
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is It All Over, 7" 1985/86? (cover photo)
    1. Is It All Over
    2. Now I Don't Want You Around

So What!, Cassette 1983 (cover photo)
    1. Bad Boys
    2. Searching for Love
    3. Fool's Love
    4. Young Girls
    5. Visions
    6. Me and You
    7. You
    8. Stay Tonigh
    t

Kikrock, 1982 compilation tracks
    So What - Fool's Love
    So What - Me and You

BBC Friday Rock Show Session (13/12-1985)
    1. Unknown
    2. Unknown
    3. Unknown
    4. Unknown
    Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
    Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1420

They also have a BBC friday show session,not sure about the year.
    Bringer of Steel
    Iran (ir) Male
    Name: Al

Topics Solved: 28

Yeah just read that on Musicmight, need it! =) hmm they seem to have some kind of relation to SPIDER as well.. both bands have recorded "Bad Boys"
    (So What! / Spider) and a lot of SPIDER videos are posted on the channel were So What! - Searching for Love can be found http://www.youtube.com/user/coledo/search?query=so+what

Found some info saved on my harddrive (can't remember the source) .

SO WHAT! (Scotland, UK) were originally started in 1980 playing local venues such as Ayr Pavillion, Amanda's in Irvine and branching all over Scotland and North England. At a gig in Dunoon, So What! were approached by 70's Super-group The Sweet, who's manager asked the band to support the Sweet within the next two weeks at London's famous Marquee venue to a sold out crowd. After the event, Lead singer of the Sweet Brian Connolly approached the band with an offer to become his new backing band. So What! went into rehearsing and recording but after a while it became obvious that due to Brian Connolly's failing Health Problems, was not going much further. So What, on their own merit, stayed in London and grew from strength to strength selling out venues such as the Marquee club, the famous Empire in Leicester square, and went on to get rave reviews and features in magazines such as Kerrang, MME, Sounds, Melody Maker as well as features on Tommy Vance's Friday Night Rock Show on Radio 1. Disaster then struck the band with a tragedy of their own when guitarist Rod Earl lost his life to leukemia. At this time the band had record deals on the table from recording giants Polydor and EMI, but following such a loss, they could not get over losing such a key player in the band. So What! then drifted their own separate ways until being asked to re-form for a charity gig in Cumnock last Year. So what did the gig with the original line-up and the response was such from the public that decided to get back on the road again to perform and record new upcoming material with the hope of a new album to be relased in the near future

This has been on my want-trade-list for some time.actually still no hope.There is a BBC session including them for trade(it's written from 80s so i'm not sure about the year) but the trader has cheated several times on many of the traders and he is not responding anymore.SPIDER is ready to trade,so i've sent a request.
    Bringer of Steel
    Iran (ir) Male

I have the original single about the rest i'm searching them also.
    Do you ever see your mail Emil?? Check what i send a week ago!!!

• 1 likes this
    Random avatar

Topics Solved: 3

nwobhmgr wrote:Do you ever see your mail Emil?? Check what i send a week ago!!!

Lol,same here
    Bringer of Steel
    Iran (ir) Male

nwobhmgr wrote:I have the original single about the rest i'm searching them also.
    Do you ever see your mail Emil?? Check what i send a week ago!!!

Found it now mate, sorry! I have tons of unread mails in my inbox, hard to keep up

PM's replied guys

insane surgeon wrote:This has been on my want-trade-list for some time.actually still no hope.There is a BBC session including them for trade(it's written from 80s so i'm not sure about the year) but the trader has cheated several times on many of the traders and he is not responding anymore.SPIDER is ready to trade,so i've sent a request.

I'm pretty sure they only did one BBC session so it should be the one in the request. What do he have with SPIDER?

The relation is written here:

http://rockbrat.wordpress.com/2013/06/0 ... inja-1988/

• 1 likes this
    Bringer of Steel
    Iran (ir) Male

The trade is the 2012 box set
    Bringer of Steel
    Iran (ir) Male

Thanks for the link Al! (beerbang)

The 'Friday Rock Show' session was recorded in BBC Maida Vale Studio 4 on 13th November 1985. It was broadcast on 13th December 1985.

Tracks:

01. I've Got To Go
    02. I'll Be Your Friend
    03. Promises
    04. I Don't Know Why

Lineup:

Tom Smillie: Vocals / Bass
    Des Duffy: Guitar
    Rod Earl: Guitar
    Jerry Duffy: Drums
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 97

Hi
    Newbie here! Thanks for the info on So What! and Ninja. I remember seeing them play in the west of Scotland a few times.
    I've been searching for years for the Friday Rock Show Session from So What, especially the track I Don't Know Why.
    I had it on tape and played it over and over - classic song and one I'd love to hear again.
    Any help tracking down a copy would be amazing.
    Cheers,
    Scott
    Random avatar
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 0

I used to see the band a lot at the Barlochan in Palnackie in the 1980s. Got both the tape and the (signed) single; sure there's a poster somewhere in the house as well. Listened to the tape in the car last week for the first time in decades and it brought it all back.

Visited them in February 1986, stayed at their house at 240a North End Road, Fulham for a couple of nights then returned the favour when they stayed with me and my sister in Bath after a gig at Bristol Bierkeller. Their van needed attention after somebody filled up with oil and forgot to put the cap back on.

As for the Spider connection, So What were to support them on their UK tour (86/87?) but Spider's label went bust and so that collapsed.

So What used to go to recordings of Channel 4's ECT programme and can, I think, be spotted in the background of a few shows. If I can get the VCR to work I might have a look for those.

I remember the FRS session but not sure if I have a copy any more. My sister is going to check her archive as well.

• 1 likes this
    Random avatar
    United Kingdom (uk) Male
    Name: Steven Edgar

Barlochanite wrote:I used to see the band a lot at the Barlochan in Palnackie in the 1980s. Got both the tape and the (signed) single; sure there's a poster somewhere in the house as well. Listened to the tape in the car last week for the first time in decades and it brought it all back.

Visited them in February 1986, stayed at their house at 240a North End Road, Fulham for a couple of nights then returned the favour when they stayed with me and my sister in Bath after a gig at Bristol Bierkeller. Their van needed attention after somebody filled up with oil and forgot to put the cap back on.

As for the Spider connection, So What were to support them on their UK tour (86/87?) but Spider's label went bust and so that collapsed.

So What used to go to recordings of Channel 4's ECT programme and can, I think, be spotted in the background of a few shows. If I can get the VCR to work I might have a look for those.

I remember the FRS session but not sure if I have a copy any more. My sister is going to check her archive as well.

Is it possible to rip the tape for us ?? I'm searching many years to listen this demo but no luck so far.....
    Random avatar

I've now got it in MP3 format, not sure how to upload. Any help?

• 2 likes this
    Random avatar
    United Kingdom (uk) Male
    Name: Steven Edgar

Barlochanite wrote:I've now got it in MP3 format, not sure how to upload. Any help?

It's not difficult.
    1. Archive/ compress the folder with your files (incl. all info you can get, song names, cover photo or scan) to a .zip or .rar format using WinRar program.
    2. Upload this compressed file to any free uploading site (Mediafire.com , Sendspace.com , 4shared.com, Mega and so on).
    3. They will give you the link which you can post right here. Please, make it "hidden" (when writing a reply post select your uploading link and choose the "eye+pencil" button from icon bar which is slightly above your text).

To see the hidden links, please, thank uploader by clicking the green buttons in his post (http://s020.radikal.ru/i709/1509/b7/065b607f5946.png or http://s019.radikal.ru/i631/1509/9a/a615a034139f.png); and NOT by typing "thank you" below his post.

Last edited by RunningWild on 10 Mar 2016, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: actually Sendspace & Zippyshare are not favored because links time out very fast (~30 days)
    Name: Kirill

Topics Solved: 27

Barlochanite wrote:I've now got it in MP3 format, not sure how to upload. Any help?

If you couldn't upload them, I am a suggestion to: you can to send these archives to a guy by a pen drive, and he after do a upload to some guy of forum through e-mail. What you say?
    Name: sergin

« Return to NWOBHM [Requests]