Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Does anyone on here listen to mostly modern metal?
New metal I like -
mainly demo or album tapes I bought - Alcoholic Force, ANTEDILUVIAN, Armour, Beyond (Ger), DOOMED BEAST, Hell's Bomber, Ironclad, Legacy, LETHAL (Swe), Neckbreaker, Nuclear Abomination, Nuclear Magick, Paganfire, Profaner, Rest in Peace, Retaliador, Revenge (Colombia), SOLOTHUS, Sulphurous, etc

In the last year, I started buying a lot of CD's again when they were on sale, but have tried to only buy cassettes and vinyl - any cool vinyl in 7"s, 10", 12"s, double-LP's. I WISH I had bought much more 7"s in the 1980s and kept them all, like Mercyful Fate''s Black Masses pic disc.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 327

Don't know if anybody cares, but seen an advertisement last month in a magazine that SOIL have a new album "Whole" (2013), and back with their original singer, Ryan McCombs.

SOIL were labelled 'Nu metal', but I remember their video song for "Halo" ("Scars" ,2001 album), and thought it was pretty good HEAVY metal. The song/guitars, everything was dirty and heavy, not weak and gay sounding like Korn, but this was a very long time before mp3 downloading for me, so I did not take a chance buying the album, based on one song.

SOIL attracted my attention because they had a famous underground metal head musician - Shaun Glass (Bass player from SINDROME,Terminal Death,and Broken Hope).
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Depending on what you are calling "modern metal" for what i've read so far from other replays, most people here are taking it as if you are talking about NU-Metal, and other pop culture metal try out bullshit, like avenged sevenfold, or bullet for my valentine, so my answer is NO, no mallcore for me. Now if you meant new releases from true, talented metal bands, the answer would be yes, i BUY and listen to mostly new releases. There is great pure and true hearted heavy metal music popping out every day, and ignoring it just because it wasn't released in 1986 would be a catastrophic mistake for any metalhead. So an act of musical self reclusion, based on a chronological fetiche? Count me out, i do appreciate the true talent and creativity of my generation.

Name: Edgar

Topics Solved: 0

Lately, been running into some more of the "modern brutal metal",
here is one band that is what I mean - with a free download -
http://weallhavedayjobs.bandcamp.com/al ... e-day-jobs
This album is not too bad, and the growly vocals are closer to regular death metal that I can understand.
It isn't just gurgled, and there are no shredfests.
Plus the drums sound decent too.
That is the ONE HUGE THING I hate about any bands miked improperly -
- that the tom drums are an annoying pinging sound, like a mechanical tool.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

I don't mind modern metal, but like said, it does depend on what you consider "MODERN" metal, there is the NU-Metal genre wich i'm not very fond of myself (typical i know), you have metalcore (depending on wich side of it though) wich i'm ok with since metalcore was not so bad in the mid-to-late 90's since it had hardcore punk and thrash influences, you then have the NWOTHM bands, i like some of thses bands but will say that most of 'em are fucking boring to my ears

to name a few, Skull Fist, Cauldron, Axxion, White Wizzard (ironic that someone posts a video of them on here, lol), Volture

but like i said, there are ones i enjoy, Ambush, Enforcer, Bullet (almost being considered NOT a NWOTHM band), Sign of the Jackal, Baphomet's Blood, Intöxicated, RAM, just to name a few

now, as for the "RETRO" thrash bands, these are the ones i enjoy, Antichrist (Swe), Deathhammer, Toxic Holocaust, Dr. Living Dead!, Witchtrap, just to name a few

that is all i can say, just that, not all the time i play some of these bands, since i still listen to all the old guards.

http://i.imgur.com/oQTbd.png
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) MaleYouTube 
Name: Ben Smith

Topics Solved: 16

There are a few "modern" bands I enjoy--Mastodon, Fleshgod Apocalypse, and Ulcerate just to name a few.

I also don't mind some of the thrash revivalist bands such as Municipal Waste, Toxic Holocaust, etc.

I don't mind some of the grunge stuff (though I always thought Pearl Jam was overrated as hell).

As for Metalcore, there are a few bands I don't mind, but most of it is boring.

Nu-metal I could never get into.

But one of my biggest complaints about modern metal is the artificial-sounding production where everything is cranked up and pro-tooled to death. The Loudness War and the general trend of over-producing everything has ruined what could have been some excellent records.

Steel Republic
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) Male 

My grand-mother loves nu-metal ... (:D)
Bringer of Steel
Switzerland (ch) Male

Topics Solved: 2

I have no interest in the newer bands. The "new thing" is the deep end bass and the mash of clean vocals meet brutal....I can count 50 bands that do the same. The end result is 50 bands that sound the same. late 70's and 80's metal is just something we all know is pretty identifiable by a simple bass sound, guitar tone, singer, drumming, etc.. Yes, sure there were some copycats and some really bad bands as well as cheese, but even them bands were recognizable. It's just one of them trends we all see too well...about the same as how many people you see wearing Aeropostle, Hollister and whatever labels you want to throw in to fit into some sort of niche. I just consider that one who cannot think for themselves and needs some sort of recognition amongst their peers...fuck that...that's as lame as it gets. We can all agree here our music is way better, way heavier and technically challenging compared to any youth or person still in high school this day in age....and I'm 44 and kids just can't believe the stuff I listen to and they actually do dig it; they were just never exposed to it, since, if you think about it, the parents nowadays are from the "earbleed and torturous" 90's when grunge and other things about killed metal altogether. I rest my case and let the forum back to you guys. (evil)
United States (us) Male

:D I like Skull Fist, Axxion, and Midnight Malice, but I don't like Cauldron! (hehe)
I sort of remember what White Wizzard is like, they were ok, but didn't make me want to play it too much or buy their albums.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Ever since I found this site, my interest for any metal subgenre aside from Heavy/NWOBHM/thrash/doom/power has pratically disappeared.
A week ago, I deleted 99% of all Folk/Viking, Melodeath, Post Black/DSBM, Groove, Metalcore, Symphonic, Industrial.... etc. I also deleted a lot of Death Metal. I can't listen to it anymore. Today, it sounds for me like teenager music.

I still have some small interest in some Black metal (Darkthrone and Burzum will be always in my heart!) and some early "Gothic" stuff like My Dying Bride or Paradise Lost.

But the worst subgenre ever is Depressive Suicidal Black Metal. I have no words to say how much I hate that shit.
FORUM MOD!
Brazil (br) Male 
Name: Mauro

Topics Solved: 9

Some like: Power from hell, Speedtrap and Ranger etc.
Random avatar
Banned
Finland (fi) Male

Killtava wrote:A week ago, I deleted 99% of all Folk/Viking, Melodeath, Post Black/DSBM, Groove, Metalcore, Symphonic, Industrial.... etc. I also deleted a lot of Death Metal. I can't listen to it anymore. Today, it sounds for me like teenager music.

At writing this I am 51 years old, so my teenage music was Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Rory Gallagher, Kevin Coyne, The Who (70's), and yes early JP! So teenage music is so-so term, however today the so-called "heavy" bands like 'Black Veil Bride' rely on the EMO shit.

To me EMO is about kids that has everything, video games, going out, have freedom, and still being depressed. I guess there is no challenge for them. Unlike the "old" bands or the way we wanted to live as a Metalhead.

However I do like some newer bands like Disturbed.

Gravibus manere. Heli temulentam. Mulierum mammas utamur.
(Keep it Heavy, be drunk, enjoy boobies)

Personal Motto:

Modus et inordinatio in Metalinium
(Method and Disorder the Metal way)

My 80's Metal Blog
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) Male 
Name: Tony

Topics Solved: 3

Lord Bones wrote:
At writing this I am 51 years old, so my teenage music was Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Rory Gallagher, Kevin Coyne, The Who (70's), and yes early JP! So teenage music is so-so term, however today the so-called "heavy" bands like 'Black Veil Bride' rely on the EMO shit.

To me EMO is about kids that has everything, video games, going out, have freedom, and still being depressed. I guess there is no challenge for them. Unlike the "old" bands or the way we wanted to live as a Metalhead.

However I do like some newer bands like Disturbed.

Wow! You must be the oldest member here. Haha. (hehe) I'm just 20 years old!
My teenager music was Korn. I remember listening to "Make me Bad" and "Falling away from me" on the radio when Korn's "Issues" was released in the late 90's.

Damn, even the grunge movement is older than me.

And I agree with you... Disturbed is a good band. One of the few I still like from the "good old days" (the others being Rammstein and SOAD).
I think this is a great song: Mainstream, over satured "teenager angst" music with a catchy riff. (whistle) It's like fast-food: You know it won't do you any good... Still, you like it.

Oh, just to make it clear: When I said Death Metal sounds for me like "teenager music" in my last message, I did not mean "music from our early days", but music with more image and market to draw attention from kids and teenagers... I saw some members here saying they listened to Death and Black Metal in the early 90's as a protest against grunge and alternative metal. Like Black Metal: Kids will see all the blood, corpsepaint and satanic stuff as a protest against modern culture, and will think they are "cool" because they listen to agressive music... Same thing with Slipknot's image, I guess.
FORUM MOD!
Brazil (br) Male 
Name: Mauro

Topics Solved: 9

I finally checking into Disturbed ... for a few songs I can like them, but more than that, and I start to get bored.
(The only song I know by them that is memorable enough, and so far their best, is Down with The Sickness).
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Well, for starters, I grew up on KISS, old hard rock and the NWOBHM, followed by metal becoming thrash/speed and all that. I was also interested in some of the early crossovers with hardcore and punk and even played in a hardcore band for a while.

When bands like Machine Head and Korn started popping up in zines and on Headbanger's Ball metal started to go seriously wrong for me. I did like some of the early so-called 'grunge' stuff because basically it was mostly recycled hard rock anyway but I got disgusted with the whole movement pretty quickly when the industry started making their own 'alternative' music. I wanted nothing to do with that so I largely stopped listening to contemporary heavy music for a while (well except for Voivod, I kept following them) and instead busied myself with discovering old psych, hard rock, jazz, garage rock and all that. There was this new phenomenon called internet so that was easy. The downside of it was that I largely missed the early wave of black metal and a lot of doom. Ah well...

How does one define 'modern'? I still can't stand nu-metal, dumb jock metalcore or cheesy power metal. There is however a lot of current doom metal, black metal and prog I like as well as bands like Midnight, Enslaved, Urfaust and Hammers of Misfortune and that so-called occult rock like Blood Ceremony and Wucan. I think The Devil's Blood (RIP) is one of the best bands ever in recent years. I also like some of the more mainstream names like Mastodon, Baroness and Devin Townsend. Yeah, I know some of people will frown on that last bit.

So there...

• 1 likes this
Netherlands (nl) Male 
Name: Robbert

« Return to General Metal Discussions