Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Megadeth vs. Metallica: Who Do You Prefer?

Megadeth or Metallica?

Megadeth
56%
Metallica
44%

Total votes : 48

Megadeth never released "Blood and Honor" officially, but I guess they never recorded a rehearsal or studio version.

We only can hear that one performance Halloween 1984..I will always think it is a better song than what it became later, "Wake Up Dead".

That would be pretty nice, if Lars and James surprised us all,

and outdid the Garage Inc. release,

if there's all of the cover songs they ever did from way back then,
and if they "Surprize 'Em All"
with a double or triple CD of every rare damn tape we already have,
but , vastly improved and
finally mixed / mastered properly to sound crystal clear.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 328

I wasn't aware of that demo! It would be pretty cool to hear if such a recording existed.

Garage Inc. was pretty good, although I thought their cover of "Overkill" was lacking a solo and the triple ending, I don't know much about music structure or what it's called. I agree with you, I would love to hear all of those demos cleaned up.

I was just thinking, people complain about Metallica's self titled album 'Metallica', if they had cut out a few songs and just left it as this track listing, it would be an amazing album or EP! I just listened to these songs again for the first time in I can't remember how long, the solo on "My Friend of Misery" is awesome! Obviously it's not thrash metal but these songs are pretty heavy.

1. Holier Than Thou
2. Wherever I May Roam
3. Don't Tread on Me
4. Through the Never
5. Of Wolf and Man
6. The God That Failed
7. My Friend of Misery
8. The Struggle Within
Australia (au) Male
Name: Axle

Topics Solved: 0

To tell the truth, neither of them. I think megadeth is one of the most boring and overrated bands from all the thrash metal history (sorry, Motorised! :) ), and Metallica just released two good albums: Kill 'Em All and Master of Puppets.

I'd rather some Sodom, Iron Angel, Power From Hell, Toxic Holocaust, early Exodus, Kreator, Destruction, Agent Steel, Hellhammer or Bulldozer, than any of these "big four" or early american Thrash Metal bands.
FORUM MOD!
Brazil (br) Male 
Name: Mauro

Topics Solved: 9

Don't be sorry, Killtava, everyone has the right to enjoy what ever they want to. I appreciate that you thought of me though, you're one of the good ones :D So many people can be nasty online about music! (shocked)

I love Sodom, Exodus, Kreator and Destruction too! You forgot about Overkill, who'd I'd say along with Exodus have stayed true to their origins and are still amazing to this day! I've heard of the name Toxic Holocaust but I don't know their material.

I have never heard of Iron Angel, Power From Hell, Agent Steel, Hellhammer or Bulldozer so I'll check them out. I was thinking of the drummer of Mayhem, when you mentioned Hellhammer haha. I know this thread isn't about what people have heard or not heard but I thought I'd comment on it! (glad)
Australia (au) Male
Name: Axle

Megadeth rules!!! \m/ I love Metallica too but Megadeth's just so awesome to headbang with!

• 1 likes this

- Leatherwolf \m/
United States (us) Male 
Name: Randy Raven

Motorised wrote:Don't be sorry, Killtava, everyone has the right to enjoy what ever they want to. I appreciate that you thought of me though, you're one of the good ones :D So many people can be nasty online about music! (shocked)

I love Sodom, Exodus, Kreator and Destruction too! You forgot about Overkill, who'd I'd say along with Exodus have stayed true to their origins and are still amazing to this day! I've heard of the name Toxic Holocaust but I don't know their material.

I have never heard of Iron Angel, Power From Hell, Agent Steel, Hellhammer or Bulldozer so I'll check them out. I was thinking of the drummer of Mayhem, when you mentioned Hellhammer haha. I know this thread isn't about what people have heard or not heard but I thought I'd comment on it! (glad)

Ha! It's impossible not to mention Megadeth in this forum and not remembering you. :D

I listened to Overkill's "The Electric Age" a lot when it came out in 2012. I don't know how, but I listened it again after one year and it did not sounded the same... I guess I'm more into the melodic/traditional stuff.
Neverthless, and great album.

By the way, let me tell you a good history: I have a friend that loves black metal. Some weeks ago, he told me he never listened to Judas Priest. I looked at him with the same face I'm looking at you post, when you said you don't know Agent Steel and Iron Angel.
Stop anything you are doing and listen to Skeptics Apocalypse and Helllish Crossfire, NOW! These are not only the two best speed metal albuns ever: They are two of the best albums EVER! :D Hahaha!

By the way (2), I have a rip of the 2015 No Life Till Leather demo re-release, ripped direct from the tape, with scans. I will upload then when Strappado come back and accept the other uploads I did. :D
FORUM MOD!
Brazil (br) Male 
Name: Mauro

Topics Solved: 9

Megadeth of course; their album Countdown to Extinction (an excellent dark and melodic heavy metal record in both the music, aesthetics and image) got me into heavy metal music. Youthanasia was somewhat disappointing though it later grew on me. I heard a few of their new albums (The System Has Failed, Endgame) but there's something lacking. The only 80s albums by them I could tolerate are Killing is My Business and SFSGSW. Rust in Peace had like, two or three songs I like, the rest is technical shit which gets pretty boring fast, like Dave is "mega" insecure, he wants to prove something, "hey my band is better than Metallica, were playing some stuff too difficult to play for the average musician" blah, blah, whatever. I'm getting way off-topic here but IMHO, the best forms of artworks are those that immediately connect to you on a personal, visceral level and sorry but Rust in Pieces is not really happening for me even after repeated listens. It's way too overrated and bloated.

Metallica on the other hand, these fuckers totally are nauseating. They have soiled the name Metallica and produced a bunch of country and western songs (Load is tolerable while Reload is better off as a frisbee). Nothing wrong with playing the music you like but you should release it under a different name. But then who cares, they've lost relevance a long time ago and is now the laughingstock of heavy metal (hehe1)

• 1 likes this
Philippines (ph) Male

Metallica is more "my cup of tea". Of course, Megadeth too has some great stuff I really enjoy.
Random avatar

Megadeth V Metallica for me is a tale like the tortoise and the hare.

BY far margin I was a huge Metallica fan back in the day, hands down winner was Metallica. Despite being a big fan of Peace Sells, and I enjoyed Killing is My Business for what it was (great songs shoddy bad production), Kill "em All, Ride the Lightning, Master, and even Justice just by far defeat that early Megadeth.

However in all these years that have passed, for me Megadeth win the legacy as better band, more lasting output. Metallica honestly hadn't done a whole lot to write home about (I'll even give them credit for the black album--might have been the beginning of the end, but those actually are pretty strong songs and a strong album IMO). Megadeth would release Rust in Peace...one on the stongest metal albums in history IMO (and the best album of their entire output).

I admit as Megadeth morphed from a thrash/big four entity into what it really always was at heart...JUST a METAL band, I discounted some of those transistional albums, but objectively just chock full of strong songwriting...(ok, not RISK lOL) whether they were thrashing or just rocking.

2000's Megadeth output just full of strong albums.. What did metallica do? a retro death magnetic and that's pretty much it.

Megadeth still great to catch Live. Metallica--really haven't seen 'em since justice tour, just lost interest (though I should see 'em one more time before they call it a career.

Not meaning to shit on Metallica...those first 3 records never get old for me, but in this case the "underdog" megadeth came from behind to pass Metallica if I'm ranking bands.

• 1 likes this
Random avatar
United States (us) Male

I like both bands, but Metallica holds a special love from me, since it was the band that started me in Metal.
it's a chosen way of life!"
Brazil (br) Male 
Name: Daniel

Megadeth all day.
Random avatar
United States (us) Male

I listened to metallica's new song last week......
Still megadeth all the way,any day.... for me
Australia (au) Male    
Name: exsanguinator

Megadeth because they stayed TRUE

Topics Solved: 12

« Return to General Metal Discussions