Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Megadeth vs. Metallica: Who Do You Prefer?

Megadeth or Metallica?

Megadeth
56%
Metallica
44%

Total votes : 48

-------
United States (us) Male 

Topics Solved: 0

Megadeth for Me, Sure Dave is Not in His Prime as He Was Years Aga (My Opinion)
But He Ain't Going Try to Make a Killing Is My Business Part 2 or Another Peace Sells etc... etc...
But at Least He's Staying True to What He Loves

Now for Metallica, They Only Made Like What, 2 Graet Albums in the 80's ("Kill 'em All" & "Ride the Lightning")
"Master of Puppets" Had Some Good Songs But All of it Ain't Special & "And Justice" Did'nt do Nothin' for Me Other Than Bore Me to Death

Megadeth Wins My Vote Couse They Made 4 Albums That i Enjoyed Very Much

• 2 likes this

http://i.imgur.com/oQTbd.png
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) MaleYouTube 
Name: Ben Smith

Topics Solved: 16

Haha, this discussion takes me back many years ago when we were constantly comparing and analyzing and we never got anywhere. I was with Metallica back then. Ride The Lightning was in my first record order and i still consider it to be the best album by both of these bands.
I even ignored Megadeth for some time and this Megadeth against Metallica thing was the only reason. But many people consider Kill Em All to be the best Metallica album. If you think that all of the solos Kirk Hammet played on Kill Em All belong to Mustain and they continued using some of his ideas on Ride The Lightning you can't ignore his influence in the early Metallica even if you stand for them.
Also when Metallica released Black Album (a total disapointment for me when i first heard it) Megadeth released Rust In Peace, a great album (Marty Ffriedman is AMAZING)...

Today i want choose a side. Both bands are Monsters, both bands released great albums and both bands are written in history. I'm not interrested in what they're doing these days (i usually do not bother whith new releases from old bands with a few exceptions) and i prefer them to rest (or rust if you prefer (hehe) ) in peace...
Bringer of Steel
Greece (gr) Male
Name: Kostas

Topics Solved: 9

of course Dave Mustaine's megadeth they never broke their style ,still going on ,but i cant say same thing for metallica ,later black album metallica is dead for me ,!! rhythms changed everything changed and they changed all of melody !! but until the black album i enjoyed every album they made ,so i m at mustaine's side :) Muhahahaha

yes Heavy Thrashhead maybe metallica changed for more money :)

• 1 likes this
Turkey (tr) Male

Topics Solved: 7

In my book Metallica 'died' when they fired Dave. He created the uniqueness of the bands sound. Kirk couldn't replace him as Gary Holt was the main riff expert in Exodus.

That said. Not to fond of Megadeath either, but they stuck more to their roots than Metallica.

• 1 likes this
FORUM MOD!
Name: Nico

Topics Solved: 54

I am voting Metallica because the albums they created are ''better'' to my ears than Megadeth's albums.And James Hetfield is, for sure, better in vocals than Dave Mustaine.
I have to tell you: I don't consider that Metallica is the top USA band as I like much more power metal bands as Liege Lord, Vicious Rumors, Obsession etc.
Megadeth, on the other hand, has some great albums but never reached the ''greatness'' of Metallica.
Name: Sarissoforos

Topics Solved: 9

Tough one, oh wait it really isn't..

While I've got big respect for Metallica's first three albums and they did "ok" all the way to the Black album, Megadeth's career is just more consistent. So as for the whole band and it's catalogue in general I'll go for Megadeth. They kept things sounding more pleasant for my ears over the years.

Still Kill'em All is one hell of an album.

• 1 likes this
Name: Tane Norther

I think if Dave didn't get fired from Metallica,there was no Megadeth at all and Metallica lost a couple of members because they killed eachother.

I like both bands (one way more as the other),they have/had both great musicians,made awesome albums,made not so awesome albums,have cool liveshows etc. etc.
They are both great in their own musical area and that Metallica is bigger as Megadeth is that they were not afraid to develop and take themselfs to another level,they grew up or whatever you want to call it.That they made money with it was for them a nice extra.Yeah yeah,they are sell-outs! Megadeth don't have alot of hitsingles,they make money aswell,many people are forgetting that because bashing Metallica is so easy.I could go on for along time here,it is very clear that my vote went to Metallica.
Random avatar
Netherlands (nl) FemaleFemale

Metallica is my favourite metal band, so they get my vote. I like all of their albums, although The Black Album bores me a little.

Megadeth is not far behind, but Risk and their last 3 albums only have about 1-2 songs each that I like. I like Mustaine's voice more, and I've seen Megadeth live more than any other international band (4x compared to 3x for Metallica).
New Zealand (nz) Male YouTube  
Name: Paul

Topics Solved: 4

Although I love both bands, Megadeth trumps.

• 2 likes this
Australia (au) Male
Name: Axle

Metallica is great! and Ride the lightning is one of my favourites metal albums but Megadeth is better,I'll give 3 reasons to argument my opinion:
1.Dave's influence in early Metallica's music and compositions.
2.Rust in peace and Killing is my business are musically better than any Metallica's album from the same age.
3.Combination between Martin Friedman and Dave kick ass.... Marty's Tornado Of Souls solo is amazing he's from another planet.
F*** YEAH

• 1 likes this
Colombia (co) Male
Name: Hellraiser

Megadeth usually.

• 1 likes this
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 327

Are any of you buying the official release of METALLICA's No Life Til Leather Demo being released on cassette on Record Store Day?
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20150303

Ron McGovney's No Life Til Leather tape that sold on eBay 5 or 10 years ago, and the guy who bought it, then ripped and uploaded it, is one of the best, cleanest versions as far as mp3's go,
but since I like the demo as much or more than the Kill 'Em All LP, a good chance I will buy it if I can, if it is a good price.

Also, later will be a CD version with "bonus tracks".
Curious what these "old tapes" that Lars found are... would be great if Metallica has some real treasure that NOBODY has ever heard before, and it isn't the same rehearsals we already have.

Around 2002, there really wasn't much good stuff on for me on the 30 minute metal TV show every week, so bought some dvd's. I wanted CLIFF 'EM ALL, but couldn't find it, so paid over $100 for that Live Shit: Binge & Purge dvd/cd set. At first I was pissed off, it wasn't with any early-mid 1980s footage.
Guess it was worth it though, compared to seeing that many concerts in person and buying tickets.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

in the context of their careers up till today...megadeth..at least they stayed true to metal and enjoyed their meagre earnings to the max,instead of folowing the money trail and selling out like metallica did

• 1 likes this
Australia (au) Male    
Name: exsanguinator

Did you end up buying the 'No Life Til Leather' Demo by Megadeth on cassette, canadaspaceman?
Australia (au) Male

No, did not go out for Record Store Day to the 2 or 3 stores part of it. I will eventually order it from wherever.
Probably is smarter to wait for the bonus material on the compact disc release.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Oh, for me it's Megadeth all the way. I like early Metallica, and some of Death Magnetic, but I absolutely love Megadeth and they've (almost) always kept me very entertained.

• 1 likes this
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 16

Motorised wrote:Did you end up buying the 'No Life Til Leather' Demo by Megadeth on cassette, canadaspaceman?

The 'No Life Til Leather' Demo was by Metallica. ;)

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

riptorn wrote:
Motorised wrote:Did you end up buying the 'No Life Til Leather' Demo by Megadeth on cassette, canadaspaceman?

I was going to correct that, but forgot when typing a reply..ha ha, .he probably made a simple mistake...dyslexia of band names!
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

canadaspaceman wrote:
riptorn wrote:

I was going to correct that, but forgot when typing a reply..ha ha, .he probably made a simple mistake...dyslexia of band names!

Haha, I was distracted or something and I wrote the wrong band name!

You're probably right, although I'd like to hear what it's like on tape or vinyl. The sound is much better on analogue I find :-)

It's looking good, I'm a big fan of both bands, unfortunately i looks like Megadeth have released everything that there is but Metallica by the looks of things have plenty of stuff to release:

The expanded CD and LP versions of the cassette will cover what the drummer calls the "No Life 'Til Leather era, but it's not necessarily limited to the cassette." Asked whether the band will include other demos from the time, such as its four-song Power Metal cassette, Ulrich requests patience and says he's sifting through "lot of goodies that are laying around in cardboard boxes and tape vaults."

Within a couple of months, "depending on how quick we can turn it around," the group will announce "a big package" of reissues. "Yesterday, I found another tape and handed it to [engineer] Greg Fidelman, and there was some crazy stuff on the B-side that I didn't even know existed," he says. "It's all coming. We're doing our best."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z3bWKOTET7
Australia (au) Male

« Return to General Metal Discussions