Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Pantera: Love Them or Hate Them?
Pulled this thread from Forces of Steel.

I know metalheads usually tend to divide themselves on the subject of Pantera, but I want to know your reasons why you like or dislike the band.

My experience with Pantera has been pretty bittersweet; a part in me wants to LOVE their '80s stuff (and Cowboys from Hell to an extent) but another says I should HATE them because of the garbage bands they helped create since the '90s (e.g. Lamb of God, Slipknot, Five Finger Death Punch).

I must admit that Power Metal is one of the best cult metal LPs I have ever heard, and it is a shame that it still hasn't gotten a proper reissue. Philip Anselmo's first album with the band and vocally his strongest (not to say I disliked his singing on Cowboys).

But I also liked the three albums that came out before it. I just didn't like their direction they took by the time Vulgar Display of Power came out; I always found that album and all the others after that one to be very "false". It's no secret that they had the glam hair and clothing in their early years (they loved KISS, duh).

I just don't like the fact that they tried to cover all that up with an inoffensive, try-hard "tough guy" look and sound (which they stole from Exhorder, only in Pantera's case they played half-assed versions of the thrash the New Orleans band was playing at the time).

Exhorder was an amazing band that truly deserved more love. The entirety of Slaughter in the Vatican is more realistic than these "tough" albums Pantera was releasing since then. Don't get me started on how much I can't stand Anselmo's ear-grating "singing" or Diamond's "br00tal" chugs on drivel such as "Walk" or "5 Minutes Alone".

I also think that Diamond Darrell is one of the most overrated guitar players out there (his playing went downhill since the release of Vulgar Display of Power in my opinion), and the fact that his popularity skyrocketed overnight since his tragic murder only speaks for itself. Many of these so-called "fans" that spam "OMG RIP DIMEBAG \m/" on YouTube and other sites strike me as very odd.

First off, most of them likely never heard of Pantera until after his death. And second, if he were alive to this day hardly anyone would have worshiped the guy much at all. I guess because he's dead he's now famous.

So why didn't the brocore kiddies suck on Chuck Schuldiner's cock after his unfortunate passing? That I would like to know. I guess people are just biased as hell. It makes me sick to my stomach when I think of people like them suddenly becoming “fans” of dead musicians.

Well that's my opinion on Pantera. I'm really undecided here, but I managed to cover both the love and the hate I have for them. If their 1990 tour bus had fallen off a bridge I likely would have had more respect for them.

Sadly they ended up playing the style of metal that was so simplistic I'm sure AC\DC could have caught up with the "toughness" of it all.

What also pissed me off was when That Metal Show had an album throwdown, putting Reign in Blood up against Vulgar Display of Power. The fact that 2/3 of the hosts actually preferred Vulgar over Reign in Blood in terms of intensity only goes to show how much the metal scene is dead here in America. I wasn't a big fan of Reign in Blood (I consider it massively-overrated), but that album at least makes me want to jump in a pit and kick some fucker's ass over the Pantera album.
United States (us) Male 

Topics Solved: 0

I Did'nt Get into Pantera until Dimebag's Death But Was i a "HUGE!!" Fan, NO! i Was'nt but i Liked What i Heard from the First Listens of Cowboys, Then in 2007 my Brother Was Friends with This Girl Who Was a "HUGE" Pantera Fan
so One Day i He Finds the Old 80's Records by Them i Looked at the Cover of "Metal Magic" Sure Caught My Eye But it Was'nt Until Way Later That i Finaly Got Hear Those Albums, the First Thing he Plays is "Power Metal" Sounded Good i Hear Metal Magic, Blown Away, I Loved What i Heard and Then Made Me Like the Guys More i Started Listening to Each Album and Every Time i'm Enjoying More of it,

Now When i Listen to Cowboys or Vulger, I Just Can't Get into Those After all These Years i've Listened to Cowboys i Now Don't as Much Enjoy it Then Their Early Works and "Power Metal" is Most Likely the "FREAKIN" Blue-Print to "Cowboys from Hell" and They Start to Forget About How They Were a "STUPID" Glam Band from the Eighties, Give Me a Break and Second of all They Throw "Power Metal" Into the Mix of Being Totaly Glam, WICH!, It's Not all Glam There are Some Awesome Riffs in There That They Could Have Been Kept in There Set-List During Cowboys & Vulger

i Just Hope Vinnie Paul Get's His Balls in Order so He Could Find Closure to Those Eraly Records and "SAVE US" from Having to Buy Cheap Ass Bootlegs That Might Suffer from Muddy Quality, Couse It's Getting Stupid Right Now

http://i.imgur.com/oQTbd.png
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) MaleYouTube 
Name: Ben Smith

Topics Solved: 16

I like only their Hard N Heavy period.

I own a couple of albums (Vulgar Display Of Power,Cowboys from Hell and Far Beyond Driven) and I do enjoy listening at those albums.That is how far my love goes.
Random avatar
Netherlands (nl) FemaleFemale

Post CFH is douche metal and it's awful.
United States (us) Male

I respect their success. I'm not much of a fan, but I've listened to most of their albums once each. The only song I really like is This Love - it's surprisingly melodic for 90s Pantera. I had Reinventing the Steel on CD for a while because I liked the song Goddamn Electric, but I got bored of it after about 2 listens.

I don't like that they disowned their 80s albums. No band should do that.

Mistereyedee wrote:My experience with Pantera has been pretty bittersweet; a part in me wants to LOVE their '80s stuff (and Cowboys from Hell to an extent) but another says I should HATE them because of the garbage bands they helped create since the '90s (e.g. Lamb of God, Slipknot, Five Finger Death Punch).

Bands like Death were a huge influence on Slipknot and others too. Actually I think Slipknot is more melodic and sometimes chaotic, so I prefer them over Pantera.
New Zealand (nz) Male YouTube  
Name: Paul

Topics Solved: 4

Utterly despise this band for their hypocrisy, inbred hick pandering, biteless dry riffs, jock-rock attitude, and for opening up metal for an immense dumbing down very few bands can rival.

• 1 likes this
 Male

Topics Solved: 2

Absolutely loved 'Power Metal' in my college days (still have it on vinyl). Have no time at all for anything from 'Cowboys from Hell' onwards and always thought it odd that they chose to ignore anything they did prior to that album. Still makes me laugh the amount of people who think 'Cowboys' is their debut and have no idea that they existed before that.
 Male

Topics Solved: 3

Up to Power Metal they were good.After that they are a different band

Atlantis Metal wrote: Still makes me laugh the amount of people who think 'Cowboys' is their debut and have no idea that they existed before that.

There are people out there who think Fear of the Dark is Maiden's debut!So that comes as no surprise

Stillbirth Machine wrote:Utterly despise this band for their hypocrisy, inbred hick pandering, biteless dry riffs, jock-rock attitude, and for opening up metal for an immense dumbing down very few bands can rival.

strongly agree.
i also hate the similar bands that showed up when pantera got real popular but i dont think i hate any band as much as i hate korn.now thats a total trash band i could do without ever knowing about.

I owned the first four Pantera albums before Cowboys From Hell came out and found them all to be pretty good releases. CFH is the best of the post 1988 releases and the rest of their material is pretty much jock rock as Stillbirth Machine stated.

I had the chance to meet Vinnie Paul around 1991/1992 backstage at a show (when they wanted no parts of admitting their past) and told him how much I liked the first four albums, especially I Am The Night. He gave me this shit-eating grin which was pretty damn funny. Too bad I didn't have the vinyls with me to rattle everyone else!
United States (us) Male
Name: Brett Davis

I like pantera's works from Cowboys From Hell to Far Beyond Driven. Don't like their Hardglam albums.
Brazil (br) Male

Hate 'em. I did kind of like Cowboys when it first came out. But I can't listen to anything by them anymore. I think they ripped off Exhorder anyway. Exhorder were a far superior band.
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 7

I loved the album "Power Metal" (1988), it's glam incorporated with speed plus high range vocals. When I first listened to it years ago I thought it was pretty bad because a lot of other metalheads disliked that period. I had another listen and for me it is Pantera's best album. Lyrically at times it may not be the best such as on "We'll Meet Again" but it's still great. When I heard Pantera's "groove" stuff I was not at all impressed, I purchased the "Cowboys From Hell" (1990) boxset, there are four excellent tracks on it "Heresy", "Cemetery Gates", "Shattered" and "The Will to Survive [Demo]". I also enjoy the demos of "Heresy", "Cemetary Gates" and "Shattered". For the rest of the songs; "Cowboys From Hell", "Psycho Holiday", "The Sleep" and "The Art of Shredding" I love the soloing but the vocals ruin it for me on a large scale. The solo on "The Sleep" is beautiful! From 2:34 to 4:24 on "The Sleep" is perfect for me, the rest of the song ruins it for me. "Cemetery Gates" lyrically and musically is amazing.

Then Pantera released "Vulgar Display Of Power" (1992), the only song I like on it is "F***ing Hostile". The solo is amazing, and I guess I started to listen to it more and more and listened to the whole song. The only other song by Pantera I like is "I Can't Hide" from "Official Live : 101 Proof" (1997), the solo again is amazing. Diamond Darrell was an amazing guitarist, it's a pity that the band moved into groove metal. Although glam metal pretty much killed metal off in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Pantera, Nitro and Shotgun Messiah were amazing bands that proved that Glam Metal could be awesome.

I had heard Pantera prior to Diamond's death but it was not my thing. I hope some day that "Power Metal" is released on CD or vinyl. It would be nice if Heavy Metal Rarities puts a copy of this album on their forum as my digital copy isn't the best.

P.S. "Reign in Blood" is a far superior album than "Vulgar Display Of Power", although I only liked Slayer's releases prior to "Reign in Blood". Their best was "Show No Mercy".
Australia (au) Male
Name: Axle

Hard and heavy age, stuff released later.. i keep comments for myself, i dont really like that kind of "metal" but i do have "guilty pleasures" so meh i'll just say i respect the band and i continue with my life :P

I've actually really got into more of the groove stuff from the album "Cowboys From Hell" and the first five songs on "Vulgar Display Of Power". I used to detest their groove stuff, don't get me wrong I do not like the 'New Wave of American Heavy Metal' but I am enjoying this stuff (the groove metal period of Pantera). I have no idea how it happened but in the past week I've been listening to it non-stop.
Australia (au) Male
Name: Axle

I kinda of like Vulgar Display of Power, I listened to it two years ago, and I remember some interesting (not groundbreaking, just fun) guitar work.
Cowboys from Hell is an overrated piece of shit. Also "Primal Concrete Sledge" has one of the worst riffs ever.

Their early glam stuff is better, but again, just "fun" music.

Never listened to anything more from Pantera. I don't like this kind of music. And never listened to exhorder before.

Also the material Sepultura was putting out years later sucks very bad.
FORUM MOD!
Brazil (br) Male 
Name: Mauro

Topics Solved: 9

My 2¢ on the topic:

• Their glam/hard n heavy era stuff is so-so, based on what I've heard of it. The lyrics were pretty lame.
• Their groove-metal era stuff was hit or miss. I listened to a fair amount of it when I was younger. Some of it I like, some of it is a little too try-hard for its own good.
• Phil Anselmo's work with Down is infinitely superior to anything he did with Pantera.

• 1 likes this

Steel Republic
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) Male 

I HATE Pantera. Mostly because of their output and influence on metal from 1990 forward on helping create the crap we call Nu-Metal! I FIRST heard Pantera in 1985. It was a song called "Down Below" from the "I Am The Night" LP. I really like that song! But when I bought the LP, there was also some gay songs, and stupid misspelled song titles like glam rockers would do. I then heard the 1st 2 albums, and they SUCKED. Pompous rock influenced by Kiss and Van Halen. Horrible. And some of the worst LP-cover art EVER! The 4th album "Power Metal" didn't do ANYTHING for me. Boring and uninspired Judas priest-rip-off, it was because they were just changing to the next trend. "Cowboys From Hell", the next album, is what most people think is their first album. I HATED this album when it came out, and I still hate it today. LAME album title, plus they ripped off their style from a band called EXHORDER from Louisiana who at that time (in '89) had released their debut CD "Slaughter In The Vatican". Listen to it. You'll hear how Pantera borrowed and adopted this style and changed AGAIN, and they dropped their gay rock star tag names and morphed them into more street oriented names. For instance, Diamond Darrell became Dimebag Darrell. They dropped the hairspray and glammy outfits for the street look. Trend hoppers became trend setters. I will NEVER get why people like Pantera. I still ONLY like that song "Down Below" on that 3rd LP. That is IT.
Pantera = Shit
Banned
United States (us) Male
Name: Mikael Vaalkoth

Topics Solved: 6

NJ_thrasher wrote:My 2¢ on the topic:
Phil Anselmo's work with Down is infinitely superior to anything he did with Pantera.

What he said.
Truth.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

« Return to General Metal Discussions