Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Battle of the riff masters, vote and comment!

Who is your favorite riff master?

1 - Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth)
5%
2 - Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
89%
3 - James Hetfield (Metallica)
5%
4 - Markus Toivonen (Ensiferum)
No votes

Total votes : 19

Now sorry if your favorite riff writer and rhythm player is not in the poll, is just that there are so many, and i wanted a short poll, to have a closer fight, not one vote per option.

And when it comes to my vote?, Jon Schaffer all the way, the man's got machineguns for fingers, and he's been writing and perfectly performing incredible riff's for almost two decades in a row no stop.

So who is your riff master, having in consideration any aspects you want, writing, live performing, just mere relentless speed, is up to you:

Schaffer:

Iommi:

Hetfield:

Toivonen:
Name: Edgar

Topics Solved: 0

Tony Iommi all the Way

i Mean, Me Growing up through my Childhood i Would Be Playing Sabbath Albums Each Time
Then Growing Up and Getting to Hear the Dio Years, Born Again with Ian Gillan, Headless Cros with Tony Martin & so on.

So i Picked Tony Iommi But No Offense to Jon Schaffer, James Hetfield & Markus Toivonen (Who i Did'nt Know of as of Right Now)
Their Both Talented Guitarists

so Anyways Tony Iommi is My Pick

http://i.imgur.com/oQTbd.png
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) MaleYouTube 
Name: Ben Smith

Topics Solved: 16

Mine goes for Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi, because it's got one of the more recognizable guitar playing for all I've
heard in music so far, and because of things like creating the more memorable and imitated riffs in metal (e.g.:the
one you've linked here), and evolving it through the process.

I think Iced Earth and Ensiferum's ones are technically speaking better than the other two, but they lack in
innovating and don't have a too recognizable riffing. And maybe Metallica innovated metal a bit, and did have a
recognizable riffing, but for me, not at the lvl of Sabbath.

But well, because I haven't heard all the stuff done by the four of these, my apreciations may have been a bitty subjetive.

And thanks for making such a topic, I love riffs!

But I think unless here's a good bunch of people who love modern power metal, this won't be a fair fight;
Too large analysis of the situation for the lazy reader or maybe even anyone who may read it

They are in three different levels,probably because of the time they were founded and the different innovation
ranges this implies:

Iced Earth and Ensiferum - Modern power metal (well, this is the name I'd attach them with). They're both into the age of creative lackness, all seem invented yet, so there's only the option of making up
for it by other ways such as technique or centering too much on aesthetics.
Iced Earth will be liked and disliked by traditionals because of being in the verge between 80s and 90s;
while Ensiferum may be rejected by the most of them for being entirely into the seemingly age of lackness.

Metallica - 80s' mainstream thrash. A time with metal bands with a genuine chaotic emotion printed on their music. Unfortunately, music's evolving would be twisted soon.
Now, this band seems as the "popular king" in "metal".

Black Sabbath - Born in a time of too much rock evolving masters as one of the bigs even there. I think Iommi can only be matched by the likes of Jimmi Hendrix, Syd Barret and so, where the innovative factor
(the one I favor the most) is the one who rules.
The ancient god will be favoured by the traditional metalhead or the in general classic rock lover,
if the before stated are to be it's adversaries.

But seeing this, have you selected the bands for their year of formation?
They all seem to be on a different decade.
Spain (es) Male

Topics Solved: 1

For me it's Mark Reale (Riot). Every album he recorded is full of life and wonder. Listen to songs like "Outlaw", "Warrior", "Narita", "Wings of Fire", "Thundersteel", "On Your Knees", and even the more recent "Still Your Man". Sucks that he passed away earlier this year though. He was just incredible!
United States (us) Male 

Bruce, i tried to cover as much ground as possible in genres and generations, and still keep it at four names.

and Mistereyedee, aye i would have liked to put Mark There, but that'd be too much, i wanted a close very personal fight, still if may i ask, who do you prefer of the ones in the poll?

How can Tony Iommi even be compared to these other guitarists ? where would they be today without him ? Tony was and still is beyond genius, his riffs are the base to everything you know today as Heavy Meta.
Random avatar
Bringer of Steel
Israel (il) Male

Topics Solved: 2

Hellraiser212 wrote:and Mistereyedee, aye i would have liked to put Mark There, but that'd be too much, i wanted a close very personal fight, still if may i ask, who do you prefer of the ones in the poll?

Well obviously I prefer Mr. Iommi; like the guy above me says, where would we be today if not for him?
United States (us) Male 

I knew that if i put someone from the 70's, he'd take it no contest. Suddenly it doesn't look like a fair fight anymore.

I don't listen to Ensiferum so based on that one song I say that guy is pretty good.Iommy is a guitarplayer no one can compete too I think.He is the godfather of heavy riffs (or whatever you want to call him) and alot of guitarplayers are influenced by him.

Jon Schaffer and James Hetfield have the same level of guitarskills only in a different style.So I had to choose between those two.The fact that I love Metallica made me vote for Mr. Hetfield.
Random avatar
Netherlands (nl) FemaleFemale

Boris1 wrote:How can Tony Iommi even be compared to these other guitarists ? where would they be today without him ? Tony was and still is beyond genius, his riffs are the base to everything you know today as Heavy Meta.

+1 (mad2)
FORUM MOD!
Name: Nico

Topics Solved: 54

Iommi, of course!
Random avatar
United States (us) Male
Name: Timothy Buchanan

The case is simple, Mr. Holmes
Random avatar
Germany (de) Male