Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Your worst missed opportunity
  • What was your worst missed opportunity at scoring a rare album. I have many but my biggest was heavy Load's "Full Speed At High Level" on vinyl at a local record store in Phoenix that were selling it for $20 and I have not seen a copy since and that album is a real rarity selling for a lot in Europe and on ebay when it pops up on there.
    Random avatar
    United States (us) Male  YouTube 
    Name: Zilversmit

Topics Solved: 0

Good One But Tough One as Well

2 Years Ago on Overstock.com They Were Selling Vektor's Black Future So Last Year i Tried to See if They Had a Copy Left No (Sold Out)

I Looked on Amazon.com i Can't Believe it $69.00 Since i Guess it's Now Out of Print Since Their a New Thrash Band and i Just Looked on Amazon.com and Already Their Recent Album is Already Going for $50.00 Wich is Crazy

if Black Future Comes Up Cheap Again it's Ending Up in My Collection (evil2)

• 1 likes this

http://i.imgur.com/oQTbd.png
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) MaleYouTube 
    Name: Ben Smith

Topics Solved: 16

3 years ago in a store of my city I saw Scanner - Hypertrace (Japanese Edition) but I didn´t have money (in that time I didn´t have a work) so, I didn´t buy =(
    Chile (cl)

Topics Solved: 2

Some years ago I ran into a big collection of second hand speed and thrash LP's in a local recordshop.Not very obscure stuff,it were bands like Testament,Sepultura etc.I was thinking,I have most of them on cd already,why buy the vinyl and have them twice so I didn't buy any LP.Now I try to find them,for a much expenser price than the €5,00 the shop asked for each LP.
    Random avatar
    Netherlands (nl) FemaleFemale

Cannot remember any single one.. but generally a decade ago Running Wild vinyls were to be found at several shops in Finland for decently cheap.. they were all over the place and I bought none. And I'm huge Running Wild fan (fuck Toxic Taste and Shadowmaker though)..

I've looked now much later and cannot find none of them in local shops and they're sold too high on local auction house like 30euros+ a piece. Damn.

I've all albums of RuWi on CD except Shadowmaker and DoG VHS, yet my collection lacks any vinyls.
    Name: Tane Norther

Nice topic, i think we've all experienced this... It has happened to me too many times (especially on ebay).
    The ones that come to my mind right now is Probe's from Canada ''We Come In Peace'' Ep, i had it in my watch list but forgot about it and later saw that it ended for less than 50$. Also a signed copy of Valor's - Fight For Your Life Lp, sold for little more than 100$ (well it actually is a missed oportunity if you think the price it normally goes...).
    But on the other hand i have also bought a lot of records in really low prices (comparing to their actual price cause someone else may say
    that it's outrageous to pay so much for a single record even if it's half it's normal price...) so i can't complain, it's just how the hunt goes...

The ones i'm really sorry about are A LOT of records that you could find for a decent price a decade or so ago but now cost a lot of $$$ to get. I can't forget seeing Glacier beeing sold for 30E in local record stores in Greece for example and can't understand why i never got it (mad2) (mad2) (mad2).
    And of course the Monster Records reissue of Winterkill by Slauter Xstroyes... (facepalm)

• 1 likes this
    Bringer of Steel
    Greece (gr) Male
    Name: Kostas

Topics Solved: 9

Yeah ... really nice topic, even if it forces me to mesmerize some stupidities I have done ...

It is not a real "missing opportunity" story but it is even worse ... As I HAD some Metal rarities Items that I have sold like a stupid pighead that I was 15 or 20 years ago ...

You know the SACRED RITE 1st Album ?? There are 2 private Pressings that were released ... The all-white cover that are well-known from the collectors and .. the VERY FIRST ONE PRIVATE PRESS with the original Pegazus colored cover ... Guess what ?!? Yes, I didn't know it was such a rarity and I have sold it for a fist of Swiss Francs in 1995 / 1996 ... Same for an Obscure French Band called DAGGERS which was more into Hard Rock / Heavy Metal stuff with their LP "Le Défi" in 1984. It was a local band near Annecy, Rhône-Alpes in France, now totally unknown and impossible to find.

Later on, due to severe money problems, I had to separate myself from a part of my Vinyl Collection and I have sold some stuff that I want now to kill myself for that as they are a bitch to find them back ... : KILLEN (US), CROM (ES) - Steel for an Age 1987, ALVACAST (URY) - Inocente ... hasta que se demuestre lo Contrario (Argentinean Press), THOR (ARG) - El Pacto 1984, ADX (F) - Execution & Suprematie, and so on ... What a stupid idiot I was ... (mad2) (mad2) (mad2) (axe1)

• 2 likes this
    Bringer of Steel
    Switzerland (ch) Male

Topics Solved: 2

If Vektor's Black Future is going for $69, then my biggest mistake was selling it for like 8 bucks. But even though someone is asking that much for it, I doubt anyone would ever pay that much for it. Earache just bought Heavy Artillery, so they're going to reissue it.
    DMR
    United States (us) Male 

My biggest mistake was done many years ago, i had a trade/cash offer to give my Paradoxx for a Militia plus $500.
    Since i never sell (or trade) copies out of my collection, i denied. Very stupid of me. (facepalm)

• 1 likes this
    Greece (gr) Male
    Name: Elias Chatzialexis

I remember going to the famous record shop, Shades in London back in the late 1980s (as I often did on a saturday) and seeing an original pressing of Mayhem's Deathcrush EP up on the wall. I was familiar with them from tape trading at the time, but this was before the whole black metal thing took off and there was no way of knowing how valuable that original pressing was to become! Yeah, if I had my time again I would probably have bought a copy or two...
     Male

Topics Solved: 3

Yep, Shades was the place to be. Went there in the early 80's to get records. They also did mail-order. I still remeber very well buying the Jag Panzer - Tyrants EP when I was there in 1983. Mike Shannon (owner) was a very nice bloke, so was Dave (who worked there)

http://www.thrashhits.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/shades.gif

• 1 likes this
    FORUM MOD!
    Name: Nico

Topics Solved: 54

No big deal really but I probably should have bid a bit more on that Chariot lp that ended a day or so ago. Anything I have ever wanted I have gotten through patience and relying on many sources for the best price/condition
    United States (us) Male
    Name: Ron

Not buying all 5 or 6 copies of the Satan-kiss of death single they were selling for 10 gulden (5 euro) each in The Bullit recordstore in Eindhoven !!!!
    Netherlands (nl) Male
    Name: Rob

I once seen the gatefold vinyl for COVEN's debut LP Witchcraft Destroys Minds & Reaps Souls (1969) for $15 or $20,
    but didn't buy it as I never heard of them at the time.
    DMR wrote:If Vektor's Black Future is going for $69, then my biggest mistake was selling it for like 8 bucks. But even though someone is asking that much for it, I doubt anyone would ever pay that much for it. Earache just bought Heavy Artillery, so they're going to reissue it.

I just looked on Discos and there is a few Earache version dbl-Lp's for $29.

I don't think I own too many first pressings, but good to know there are people that will buy them.

Also, I have given away some vinyl records and dvd's/cd's between 2001-2007 that are worth a lot now,
    and probably were worth a lot then too, but I didn't know as nobody told me.
    I gave away copies of Slaughter's 1986 Nocturnal Hell single for example and didn't keep one copy for myself.
    Thought I had saved one.
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 327

A copy of the ''Armed For Battle'' EP by Emerald that ended for a couple of dollars recently on ebay (about 30 if i remember correctly, was listed in wrong category too i think)... One that most have paid or will pay a fortune to get (i'm sure i will pay a fortune to get it), been some months and still thinking about it...
    Bringer of Steel
    Greece (gr) Male

VEXX - First EP on red vinyl for 8$
    Vikron - King Of The City 7" for 5$
    Krimson Kross - Dogs Of War 7" for 7$
    Odyssey - Same LP for 160$

:( :( :( :(
    United States (us) Male
    Name: Dark Stranger

Topics Solved: 1

BornToRock wrote:VEXX - First EP on red vinyl for 8$

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??????????????????????
    The Vexx and singles prices are insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bringer of Steel
    Greece (gr) Male

In the early 90ies vinyl was literally thrown out in Germany, especially on record fairs.

I bought quite a few interesting, even rare records, which I knew, like Stormtrooper - Armies of the Night, for DM 10 (€ 5.02),
    others, which I did not knew at the time, like Hammerwitch, I left behind ...
    Random avatar
    Holy See (Vatican City State) (va) Male

Missing a show at The Bronco Bowl in Dallas TX with Motorhead, Mercyful Fate and Exciter in 1984- ugggh!!!
    United States (us) Male
    Name: CroManAba

demonhellrogues wrote:
    BornToRock wrote:VEXX - First EP on red vinyl for 8$

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??????????????????????
    The Vexx and singles prices are insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Vexx was on ebay listed even as Private metal , some months ago
    United States (us) Male
    Name: Dark Stranger

« Return to General Metal Discussions