Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Bootlegging/Pirating Record Companies Whos Releases You Should Avoid
I usually don't like bootlegs either, but when they make exact duplicate pressings from pre-existing but otherwise out-of-print CD releases, at least the look and sound as good as the impossible-to-find and outrageously expensive originals, so I give them a pass.
 Male
Name: Zealot

Topics Solved: 0

Probably not a bootleg, but lots of recent Metal Mind releases are crappy sounding. Blessed Death... Kill Or Be Killed... into the 3rd song you can hear a slight bomping sound for about 20-25 seconds, that's a record player hood being closed!
Random avatar
Belgium (be) Male
Name: Filip Adriaens

Yeah Some of Metal Mind's Releases are Crappy Sounding But at Least Their Not Downloading Like Many of the Bootleggers Today

Wich i Buy Many of Metal Mind's Releases Anyway No Matter What i Baught the Tank Boxset in 2010 Couse i Love Tank

Yet i Do Have to Say That the Old Metal Records Reisue of Bloodlust's Guilty as Sin With the Terminal Velocity EP Made Me Mad Couse it Was Almost Seemed Like a Bootleg Not Amplified to Perfection Cut's off at the End of the Song Before it's Even Finished So in Other Words Avoid That CD Reisue and Get the Original Vinyl

Yet Some of Their Official CD Reisues are OK But That One Sucked

http://i.imgur.com/oQTbd.png
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) MaleYouTube 
Name: Ben Smith

Topics Solved: 16

I've Just Found this Website Called Musik Sammler This Site Could Also Be of Help for Finding Out What Has Been Bootlegged or Officialy Released

http://i.imgur.com/oQTbd.png
Bringer of Steel
Name: Ben Smith

Topics Solved: 16

Not a bootleg company really but their releases are mostly bad vinyl copies and selling it as genuine digital versions: Metal Mind Productions.
Random avatar
Belgium (be) Male
Name: Filip Adriaens

NEW WAVE OF SWEDISH HEAVY METAL (Bootleg Vinyl reissues of Swedish 7" (clear / coloured) - Gotham City, Heavy Load, Torsten, Shakespeare etc)

Do you have a complete list of these productions ? thanks in advance
Random avatar

Topics Solved: 42

I think this list should be complete (otherwise let me know).

001: Silver Mountain - Man Of No Present Existence / Axeman And The Virgin 7" - Color?
002: Gotham City - Gotham City / Killer Angels 7" - Clear Vinyl
003: 220 Volt - Prisoner of War / Sauron 7" - Different Colors / Splatter
004: Heavy Load - Free / Run With The Devil 7" - Clear & Red Vinyl
005: Torsten - King Of The Nest / Are You Ready 7" - Black Vinyl?
006: Shakespeare - Orphan Devil / Sneaking Around 7" - Purple Vinyl
Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1420

I think this list should be complete (otherwise let me know).

001: Silver Mountain - Man Of No Present Existence / Axeman And The Virgin 7" - Color?
002: Gotham City - Gotham City / Killer Angels 7" - Clear Vinyl
003: 220 Volt - Prisoner of War / Sauron 7" - Different Colors / Splatter
004: Heavy Load - Free / Run With The Devil 7" - Clear & Red Vinyl
005: Torsten - King Of The Nest / Are You Ready 7" - Black Vinyl?
006: Shakespeare - Orphan Devil / Sneaking Around 7" - Purple Vinyl

Thanks for the list ! it's off topic of course, but I got (legitimate ones) reissues of the first singles of Crom (Finland) and Sarcofagus (may be it could be useful to create a specific topic about CD/vinyl reissues of scandinavian Metal !)

http://www.musik-sammler.de/album/416923

http://www.musik-sammler.de/album/414392
Random avatar

Topics Solved: 42

gravedigger84 wrote:DEATH MASK - Exhumation
DECEASED - Fearless Undead Machines 2CD
DECEASED - Surreal Overdose
FINGERNAILS - Destroy Western World
HAMMER - Contract With Hell + 1 bonus track-Reissue of NWOBHM classic with lots of photos, lyrics, more. (Ebony/Old Metal)
HEAVEN - Bent + 10 bonus tracks (Twilight of Mischief 1981 demo)-(Heaven/Old Metal)
HEAVEN - Knockin' on Heavens Door + 6 bonus tracks ('88 demo)
HEAVEN Where Angels Fear To Tread + 7 bonus tracks
KNIGHTMARE II - Skeletal Remains (Evil Coven/Old Metal)
PROUD - Fire Breaks the Dawn (2nd pressing with corrected disc)-There is first pressing with the defective discs (Old Metal???)-(Proud/Old Metal)
TYRANT - Legions of the Dead (Tyrant/Old Metal)-2010 reissue, the 1st reissue in 2000 is bootleg (they agree legal contract for 2010 reissue)
TYRANT - Too Late To Pray + 2 bonus tracks (Tyrant/Old Metal)-2010 reissue, the 1st reissue in 2000 is bootleg (they agree legal contract for 2010 reissue)
TYRANT - King of Kings + 5 bonus tracks (Tyrant/Old Metal)-2010 reissue, the 1st reissue in 2000 is bootleg (they agree legal contract for 2010 reissue)
UNDERDOG - Rabies In Town (Band approved reissue of 1984 German metal semi-classic originally on the Mausoleum label. (Underdog/Old Metal)
VERMEFUG - Wet Nightmare-2009 Old Metal

Old Metal has, in the past, also released (with band though not label permission, it should be said):
Laaz Rockit - No Stranger to Danger, City's Gonna Burn, Know Your Enemy
Q5 - Steel the Light

I know there's a couple of others, as well. I never felt bad about buying these since King got permission from the bands themselves (both of who signed bad deals back in the day that prevented the re-release of these.)

He did more, too, and some of them are boots (Znowhite was one, I think), but for the most part he got permission.
Random avatar
United States (us) Male

gravedigger84 wrote:
jamsonic1 wrote:Locomotive's website has been like that for four years and yes I have a few CD's by them that were officially released by other companies and these companies are not credited on the releases and neither are the band members.

Hey by the way whichreleases of them do you own that are bootlegs? Thanks for checking if you can. Will be helpful :)

Also does anyone have more information whether Rusty Cage Records are bootleg company? Or are they releasing both legit and bootlegs? Any extra info provided would be helpful.

As far as i know, Rusty Cage is ALL legit stuff. In fact one of the guys behind the label is the drummer of Dutch GODS DEFENDER.....
Don't know where the "reputation" that they are not legit would come from
Random avatar
Greece (gr) Male

Kostello wrote:
gravedigger84 wrote:
jamsonic1 wrote:Locomotive's website has been like that for four years and yes I have a few CD's by them that were officially released by other companies and these companies are not credited on the releases and neither are the band members.

Hey by the way whichreleases of them do you own that are bootlegs? Thanks for checking if you can. Will be helpful :)

Also does anyone have more information whether Rusty Cage Records are bootleg company? Or are they releasing both legit and bootlegs? Any extra info provided would be helpful.

As far as i know, Rusty Cage is ALL legit stuff. In fact one of the guys behind the label is the drummer of Dutch GODS DEFENDER.....
Don't know where the "reputation" that they are not legit would come from

The info about them not being legit came from Henky Becker who claimed he never approved of his music to be reissued.
Random avatar
United States (us) Male  YouTube 
Name: Zilversmit

www.ebay.com/itm/SAVAGE-LOOSE-N-LETHAL- ... 1030246606
Don't buy this CD; it's a confirmed bootleg. Just look at the color of the booklet. Fucking bootlegging shits!!
United States (us) Male 

Recently saw on Amazon.co.uk that 'Shogun - 31 Days' has been issued on CD. Was about to order it before I realised it was from Krescendo. My most recent Krescendo purchases have been A II Z - Witch of Berkeley, Sword - Metalized, Gaskin - End of the World and Loudness - Law of Devil's Land, all of which have sounded awful, so based on the probability that this one will also sound like a fart in a dustbin, it looks like I'll be giving this one a miss...
 Male

Topics Solved: 3

http://www.rockreport.be/forumshow.asp?id=2961
It seems like Krescendo (2007 - present) or Majestic Rock (2003 - 2007) issues their stuff from old contracts with the labels although some of their stuff is legit the rest isn't and their slogan is "we do it for the money". There's just something wrong with this.
Random avatar
United States (us) Male  YouTube 
Name: Zilversmit

thepartyprogram wrote:Not a bootleg company really but their releases are mostly bad vinyl copies and selling it as genuine digital versions: Metal Mind Productions.

Kinda a bit late.
I think it is only with their re-issues/re-masters/boxsets of older bands that this is a problem. I don't think any of their releases of stuff of stuff from the mid 90s - now have this problem. (at least my voivod - Phobos tape by them does not have this problem).

http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Me ... uctions/25
FORUM MOD!
R.I.P. 1996 - 2016

Topics Solved: 3

Metalmania/Laserlight and Aurophon/Brainstorm actually licensed their releases from Gama. I'm not sure why they opted to use different artwork and scramble/rename some albums, but I remember reading an old interview with Peter Garratoni and he acknowledged those were licensed. In any case Laserlight was a big established company specializing in classical music, and it would not make sense to put bootlegs under their MetalMania series (not to mention they were also a German company and Gama could have easily controlled and enforced those pressings if they had to).

From what I understand, Krescendo licenses their products from the original labels, like Jet Records for example. Their re-releases are quite poor, taken from whatever sources, and without any involvement by the bands, yet still could be legit. Majestic Rock is a big label in UK and it doesn't really make sense to crank NWOBHM bootlegs by bands which may live in your own town/country and get legal action against you quite easy... I may be wrong though

In the late 1990s, NEAT Metal was the website of Neat Records and they had divisions of metal, similar to the way Stormspell Records website and label looks like.

The NEAT Metal releases were from newer and heavier bands from what I remember.
I did not know about NEAT being sold until the website stopped working one day for taking new mailorders.

I guess Jess Cox held on for only as long as felt like selling off old stock ?
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 327

Not sure if they're still around, but Omerta Records was big on Ebay a few years back. Their hallmark was pressing on these awful, black CD-R's that, after a few years, would skip and then later, become completely unplayable. It was as if they were audiological time bombs.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/mwy87r.jpg

Please I need your help
Is this original or bootleg?
thanks!
Random avatar
Afghanistan (af) Male
Name: Taberlord

poeira wrote:http://oi66.tinypic.com/mwy87r.jpg

Please I need your help
Is this original or bootleg?