Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » N.W.O.T.H.M.
'Course, there's always the inevitable problem of differing views of who's great and who's not.

Alternatively we could just throw around more bands in the Rate A Song game :D

/self-whoring.
 Male

Topics Solved: 2

yeah, an album that's "essential" to one person, may be loathed by another, 'tis true. For a review to make any sense to the reader, you have to know what they like or dislike. If their favorite bands are ones you don't really care for, then you aren't going to agree with his reviews much.

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel

Topics Solved: 18

Well, the matter is a bit complecated...
First of all i really hate that ''retro'' thing myself. Most of these bands seem to care more for their hairstyle and image than their music.
Something else i could not get along with was all that thrash revival thing that everyone talked about with any aggressive neo-something new release. Seemed to me that most of these bands had never listened to Heavy Metal and Thrash from the 80's (well maybe Detruction and Sodom alond with a lot of Death Metal). No melodies, no change of rythms, just hyper speed and agresiveness, as though all Thrash is about is speed and growlings. In my opinion when thrash stops beeing Heavy Metal it as well stops beeing Thrash (i know that most of you will disagree with this but to my ears even Reign In Blood is more Death Metal than Thrash, just listen to it and imagine it with a brutal singer for example). And most of these new Thrash messiahs will tell you that Heathen or Hallows Eve for example are not Thrash bands, this is Power Metal for them.

But the last couple of years the things have changed. Great bands that seem to understand the very essence of Heavy Metal and actually care about their music and compositions, releasing great albums etc... keep appearing. A movement that it's clear to me that started from Mighty Sweden seems to be ready to take the world by storm. Bands such as Enforcer, Trial, Witches Coven, Helvetets Port and Dead Lord to name but a few seem to completely understand what Heavy Metal is really about and deliver pure steel to the world.And of course more bands from all over the world (take a look at ''Tex'' or ''Black Sword Thunder Attack'' from Greece or the MIGHTY ''Of The Past'' from the US for example) are playing Heavy Metal the way it should be played (at least IMO)... Many bands are actually dated before that whole revival we're talknig about but are getting out now, seems like the perfect time for a new Heavy Metal break out, now that the music industry is falling and has noone to blame (could it be by chance i wonder???). So i can only see that whole thing positive and hope for the best.

And as Jesse Odom of the MIGHTY Street Child said at the liner notes of the EP'S reissue, Keep Real Music Alive!!!
HEAVY METAL TO THE WORLD!!!

P.S. - Sorry for another huge message, here's one for reward...

What a masterpiece, pure US Steel from 2011!!!

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
Greece (gr) Male
Name: Kostas

Topics Solved: 9

Do you have a link to this band's myspace, official website, or facebook by any chance? Metal-Archives isn't finding anything on Of The Past so far :S
 Male

Topics Solved: 2

here's a facebook link:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Of-the-p ... 809?ref=ts

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
Greece (gr) Male
Name: Kostas

Topics Solved: 9

I just wanted to get some feedback about a lot of these newer bands (2005 or later) playing classic metal. For a long time, I had the view that I refused to listen to metal beyond 1995. I listened only to classic metal and new albums by the classic bands. However, lately I've had a change of heart. I realize that these young guys paying homage to the classic bands is actually a positive thing. Once Maiden, Saxon, and the rest are done, we need some of these bands to carry the torch. Also, it didn't make much sense for me to embrace bands who emulated Priest in the 80s, and shun those that attempt it now. After all, those emulators in the 80s were embracing a style that was popular. These young bands should be given credit for paying homage to a musical style that is not en vogue in the 2000s. Anyway, I just broke down and bought two CDs by the Portuguese metal band Midnight Priest from my friend Iordan at Stormspell. I really like their NWOBHM influenced sound that fuses Maiden with Mercyful Fate.

Some NWOTHM bands are merely imitators, but some may be worth their mettle. I trust the opinion of most of my friends on this site. Which bands are worth getting into?

• 1 likes this
United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 14

Potrait are very good.
Random avatar

Topics Solved: 0

! Strappado wrote:
MERGED THIS WITH THE TOPIC: New Wave Of Traditional Metal: What bands are worth their mettle?
Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1420

I totally love what's going on right now! here's 3 great bands from Sweden worth mention!

TUNGSTEN AXE (SWE)

WITCHES' COVEN (SWE)

LETHAL STEEL (SWE)

• 2 likes this
Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1420

Thanks, Strapp. I didn't realize there already was a discussion going on regarding this. I did look, but I just didn't see it.
United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 14

demonhellrogues wrote:Well, the matter is a bit complecated...
First of all i really hate that ''retro'' thing myself. Most of these bands seem to care more for their hairstyle and image than their music.
Something else i could not get along with was all that thrash revival thing that everyone talked about with any aggressive neo-something new release. Seemed to me that most of these bands had never listened to Heavy Metal and Thrash from the 80's (well maybe Detruction and Sodom alond with a lot of Death Metal). No melodies, no change of rythms, just hyper speed and agresiveness, as though all Thrash is about is speed and growlings. In my opinion when thrash stops beeing Heavy Metal it as well stops beeing Thrash (i know that most of you will disagree with this but to my ears even Reign In Blood is more Death Metal than Thrash, just listen to it and imagine it with a brutal singer for example). And most of these new Thrash messiahs will tell you that Heathen or Hallows Eve for example are not Thrash bands, this is Power Metal for them.

But the last couple of years the things have changed. Great bands that seem to understand the very essence of Heavy Metal and actually care about their music and compositions, releasing great albums etc... keep appearing. A movement that it's clear to me that started from Mighty Sweden seems to be ready to take the world by storm. Bands such as Enforcer, Trial, Witches Coven, Helvetets Port and Dead Lord to name but a few seem to completely understand what Heavy Metal is really about and deliver pure steel to the world.And of course more bands from all over the world (take a look at ''Tex'' or ''Black Sword Thunder Attack'' from Greece or the MIGHTY ''Of The Past'' from the US for example) are playing Heavy Metal the way it should be played (at least IMO)... Many bands are actually dated before that whole revival we're talknig about but are getting out now, seems like the perfect time for a new Heavy Metal break out, now that the music industry is falling and has noone to blame (could it be by chance i wonder???). So i can only see that whole thing positive and hope for the best.

And as Jesse Odom of the MIGHTY Street Child said at the liner notes of the EP'S reissue, Keep Real Music Alive!!!
HEAVY METAL TO THE WORLD!!!

P.S. - Sorry for another huge message, here's one for reward...

What a masterpiece, pure US Steel from 2011!!!

Thanks for sharing the band demonhellrogues, that seems to be another fine addition to those of better new old bands.
Name: Tane Norther

Steelwing from sweden, awesome band, awesome debut album, essential for this topic:

Also Battle Beast from finland, already got their own topic in these forums, but whatever, still worth mentioning here:

I've posted this one like twenty times already on this forum but i still can't sit it out of this topic:

And of course Crystal Viper (the musicians are far from new at anything in life but the band is anyway)

Name: Edgar

Stillbirth Machine wrote:I'm really split on this movement. Overall I guess you could say I'm for it but its got its own issues. The problem is that there's a split IMO between the bands who only really seem to get metal on an aesthetic/superficial/cosmetic level and subsequently can only replicate that much and those that do show that while they also love the aesthetic side of the genre, are still able to create something powerful and distinctive out of it.

I don't mean to offend here but IMO, bands like White Wizzard, The Sword, 3 Inches of Blood, Ghost, and Steel Panther to me are examples of the former while the latter group is more along the lines of Hour Of 13, Atlantean Kodex, In Solitude, Doomsword, Portrait, and Etrusgrave.

There was a really great article on Lamentations Of The Flame Princess metal zine website (I don't get the name of it either) that focused on how the metal genre was commercialized and dumbed down which had a great segment on the dodgier side of the N.W.O.T.H.M. I can post it up later if some folks are interested.

To be honest though, I'll take poorly done N.W.O.T.H.M. over all the other dumb modern "metal" crap (stoner/core/nu/alternative/groove/indie/drone/post/tech/(most)prog/avant-garde/whatever).

My sentiments exactly, actually. To me it's important that bands take the risk to create something than tries to expand the boundaries (without trying to alienate everyone with heightened levels of pretension) of metal. Bands to me like SKULLFIST or CAULDRON are just content with the bare minimum trying to pander to an image, and to me that just doesn't cut it, despite the former band I mentioned having incredible chops and skill.

Songs like "Lightening Thunder Chains in the Night" just don't do it for me in 2012. I can be much more forgiving when a song like that is dated from 1985...

• 1 likes this
Random avatar
Canada (ca) Male

« Return to General Metal Discussions

« Previous topic | Next topic »