Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Metal radio shows from the 80s and early 90s
Metallic Attack radio show : the most popular bands...

Strapp : hope this is the right place to put this, if not feel free to move to the appropriate section.

Since this forum focusses quite a bit about 80's metal this may be interesting for my fellow
metal lovers aboard.

Some of you may already found out that I had a metal radio show back in the midst 80's,
called Metallic Attack.

The show ran for over two years, 1985, 1986.
A few weeks after the beginning of the series I decided to call upon the listeners to send me their personal TOP 5 songs. Quite a succes if I may say so myself. Apparently people were dying to get their favorite metal played on the radio. (metal)

So every week one listener had his personal top aired.

Just recently I found back the summary of those top 5's I made when the show came to an end in 1986 (had to join the Belgian Airforce...)

First list : the top 12 of the bands with the most nominations.
(this almost sounds like the eurovision song contest, muha !)

5 (!) bands at number 12 :

12 Living Death
12 Killer (Belgian)
12 Grave Digger
12 Metal Church
12 Twisted Sister

7 Motörhead
6 Helloween
5 Destruction
4 Mercyful Fate
3 Metallica
2 Venom

1 Slayer

Meaning that Slayer was listed the most in all personal top 5's.

And, this may be interesting as well :

I made a second list this time giving quotations to every band in every top 5 :

number 5 I gave 1 point
number 4 I gave 2 points
number 3 I gave 3 points
number 2 I gave 4 points
number 1 I gave 5 points

This provides the following list :

at number

15 Sodom
14 Kreator and Grave Digger
12 Killer
11 UFO and Savatage
9 Living death
8 Metal Church
7 Motörhead
6 Helloween
5 Mercyful Fate
4 Destruction

3 Metallica
2 Slayer

number one....

VENOM !!!!

So this conclusion can be made : the most popular metalbands in '85 and '86 in the western part of Belgium were Metallica,
Slayer and Venom...

Admit it : the belgians had a good taste back then right ???

Topics Solved: 0

Back in the 80s people would keep up with metal releases and news in a variety of ways: magazines, Headbangers Ball, word of mouth… For me it was radio. On Saturday nights I could choose between The Metal Zone on WHJY or Metalstorm on WUNH, and Sunday was Nasty Habits on WERS. Lately I’ve been curious about other metal themed radio shows from other parts of the US or around the world. I’ve put together a short list of shows I’ve discovered and I’d love to hear about more, or just hearing about your experiences with heavy metal radio in the 80s.

Alabama:
WVUA 90.7 FM Tuscaloosa, AL – The Metal Zone: Hosted by Dave the Metal Guy from its incarnation in 1981 until its cancellation in 2008.

California:
KGB 101.5 FM San Diego, CA – Metal Shop: Started in March of 1983. Originally hosted by Pat Martin on Saturday nights at midnight. Other hosts over the years included Ron Garrett and Bryan Schock.
KLOS 95.5 FM Los Angeles, CA – Heavy Metal Six Pack: Mid-80s show which sometimes included unsigned acts such as Liquid Earth.
KMET 94.7 FM Los Angeles, CA – The Mighty Metal Hour: Hosted by Jim Ladd on Friday nights at 10 PM. It started in March 1983 as a one hour show, but due to popularity it was first extended to 2 hours and then finally to 4 hours. By then the name had changed to Heavy Metal Heaven. KMET went off the air on 2/14/87.
KNAC 105.5 FM Los Angeles, CA: All hard rock format from 1985/86 until going off the air on 2/15/95. One specific show was The Local Show, on which the Pure Rock and Son Of Pure Rock compilations were based.
KUSF 90.3 FM San Francisco, CA – Rampage Radio: Rampage Radio has supposedly aired from 2 AM to 8 AM every Sunday morning since 3/6/82. It was founded by Howie Klein, Ian Kallen and Ron Quintana (who also put out the Metal Mania fanzine).

Georgia:
WREK 91.1 FM Atlanta, GA – WREKage: The Georgia Tech radio show began in 1984 as Night Reign, but changed to WREKage in 1985. It started as a one hour show, but over the years the time has increased up to 10 hours at one point (running from 10PM to 8AM). Currently it airs from 12AM to 6AM on Friday nights.
Contributed by "animal" (HR80s forum).

Illinois:
WRRG River Grove, IL – Metal Mania: Hosted by Rockin’ Ron Simon every Saturday night in the mid to late 80s.
WVVX 103.1 FM Chicago, IL – Real Precious Metal: WVVX was a Spanish language station during the day, but switched to a hard rock format at night. The night programming, known as Real Precious Metal (from which the Chicago Metal Works compilation series was spawned) lasted from 5/1/85 until 1/29/93. Specific shows included One Off The B Side and Thursday Night Thrash Attack.
WWBZ 103.5 FM Chicago, IL: From 4/1/91 until the spring of 1994 WWBZ (aka “The Blaze”) broadcast a more commercial hard rock format.

Maryland:
WHVY 96.7 FM Baltimore, MD: “97 Underground” broadcast an all hard rock format from the spring of 1987 until 3/16/91 when it switched to Rock 103. Later in the 90s Rock 103 changed to a country station.

Massachusetts:
WERS 88.9 FM Boston, MA – Nasty Habits: Broadcast out of Emerson College from 1980 to 2005. Hosted by Jeanine Lombardo in the late 80s/early 90s. Other early DJs included Travis Squier, Mike Jones and Charlie Andrews (1988-1989).

Minnesota:
KFAI 90.3 FM Minneapolis, MN – Root Of All Evil: Broadcast from 1 AM to 6 AM every Saturday night since 1987. Hosted by Earl Root until his death on 5/24/08.
KJJO 104.1 FM St. Louis Park, MN – Metal Shop: Country station KJJO switched to a hard rock/AOR format in 1986 and began calling themselves Hot Rockin' 104. Shortly thereafter JJ Jeffries started hosting his Metal Shop show which was typically broadcast the same night as the syndicated show of the same name. In the early 1990s KJJO's format began to shift more toward alternative rock, and finally changed back to country in 1992.

New Hampshire:
WUNH 91.3 FM Durham, NH – Metalstorm: Started in the 1980s, and was replaced by The Pit which ran from the early 1990s until 1996.

Ohio:
WUJC 88.7 FM University Heights, OH – Heavy Metal Rendezvous: Hosted by Mitch Capka as early as 1981. Mitch compiled the Cleveland's Heavy Metal compilation which was released in 1984. He left WJCU (as the station is now called) on 8/28/11 when he cancelled his show Kick Out The Jams.
WUJC 88.7 FM University Heights, OH – Metal On Metal: Weekly show hosted by Bill Peters (owner of Auburn Records) since it started in 1982.
WJCU 88.7 FM University Heights, OH – Metalmorphosis: Hosted by Joe Kleon from 1986 to 1994.

Rhode Island:
WHJY 94.1 FM Providence, RI – The Metal Zone: Starting sometime in 1986, The Metal Zone is on every Saturday night from midnight to 3 AM. It was hosted by “Doctor Metal” Mike Gonsalves until his death in the fire at The Station on 2/25/03.
WXIN 90.7 FM Providence, RI: Mike Gonsalves had a metal show on this station prior to being hired by WHJY.

Texas:
KISS 99.5 FM San Antonio, TX - The Godfather: Hosted by Joe "The Godfather" Anthony this Saturday night show from 8-Midnight was the culmination of a life's work by this legendary DJ. His show became the soundtrack to the lives of countless fans. The Godfather lost the battle to cancer on 9/12/92.
Contributed by "freebfree" (HR80s forum).

Wisconsin:
WSUP 90.5 FM Plattville, WI – Heavy Metal Meltdown: Has changed hosts and schedules many times since it began in 1983, but is still on the air today.

Belgium:
Metallic Attack: Broadcast from 1985 to 1986.

England:
BBC Radio 1 – The Friday Rock Show: Broadcast from 10 PM to midnight every Friday night from 1978 to 1993. Hosted by Tommy Vance, many weeks it included a live studio session of 3 or 4 tracks.

Netherlands:
KRO – Stampij: Aired every Wednesday in the early 1980s and was hosted by Hanneke Kappen (former singer for White Honey and the inspiration for Bitches Sin's song "Hanneke").
VARA's Vuurwerk: Weekly metal show hosted by Henk Westbroek on Tuesdays from 8 PM to 9 PM. The show was on the radio from mid 1980s until the early 1990s.
Contributed by "cannibalgoddess" (Heavy Metal Rarities forum).
VARA's Betonuur: Hard rock program started in 1975 and broadcast every Tuesday from 5 PM to 6 PM. Hosted by Alfred Lagarde (RIP 1998) until Henk Westbroek took over.
Contributed by "mevistox5" (Heavy Metal Rarities forum).

Sweden:
Radio Sweden P3 – Hårdrock: Sweden's first hard rock program, it was hosted by Micke Rosengren in the mid-80s.
Radio Sweden P3 – Rockbox: Broadcast from 1984 to 1989, Rockbox was hosted by Pär Fontander. On 9/6/86 it switched to a fixed slot and time, playing every Saturday from 6:15 PM to 7 PM except for the final show on 12/2/89 which lasted 2 hours.
Radio Sweden – Studio Skrän: Hosted by Pär Fontander and Marianne Kristensson in the mid-80s, this program focused on the Swedish hard rock scene with music and interviews.

Syndicated:
Metal Shop: Hosted by Charlie Kendall, this was a weekly program that aired from the early 80s into the early 90s and often featured big name guest hosts and interviews. It was broadcast on over 250 stations across the US and lasted over 11 years.
Z-Rock:Based in Dallas, TX, Z-Rock ran an all hard rock/heavy metal radio format for over 10 years from 9/1/86 to 12/31/96. It was broadcast via satellite to radio stations across the US. Some radio stations would use their own local DJs interspersed with the satellite broadcast. Specific shows included Blistering Leads, Mandatory Metallica, Headbanger's Heaven (hosted by Crazy Mike Paine), etc.
Contributed by "pigbodine" (Heavy Metal Rarities forum).

• 4 likes this
Bringer of Steel

One for the Netherlands:

Vara's Vuurwerk - Weekly show on tuesday 8:00 pm untill 9:pm,hosted by Henk Westbroek.The show was on the radio from mid 80's untill the early 90's.
Random avatar
Netherlands (nl) FemaleFemale

Another one for the Netherlands:

Started in 1975, every tuesday between 17.00 en 18.00 ‘VARA’s Betonuur’ by Alfred Lagarde (RIP 1998) (until Henk Westbroek took over)

BTW Alfred Lagarde also produced the following albums:
1978 Speedtwins – ‘It’s more fun to compete’
1979 Vitesse – ‘Rock invader’
1980 Vandale – ‘Wij zijn Vandale’
1982 Bodine – ‘Bold as brass’
1983 Highway Chile – ‘Storybook heroes’
1984 Highway Chile – ‘For the wild and lonely’

And het released two compilation albums:
1978 – LP ’16 Harde van Lagarde’ (Basart Goldstar)
1979 – LP ‘Beton’
FORUM MOD!
Name: Nico

Topics Solved: 54

WOW! This is very cool. I never thought about how many stations had metal shows. In Detroit Michigan, I used to listen to the syndicated "Metal Shop" I feel like it must have been aired on Sundays there because I would always listen to it on the way back from my best friend's house. Of course, later in the 80's the syndicated Z Rock out of I believe, Texas would play a 24 hour hard rock format.

I agree. Z Rock is the big, glaring omission here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_Rock
United States (us) Male
Name: Joseph McIntosh

WREKage out of Atlanta is a big one. It was very popular in the late 80's/early 90's and is still on the air today.

WREK 91.1 FM Atlanta, GA - WREKage
Random avatar
United States (us) Male

KFAI 90.3 FM Minneapolis/ 106.7 FM St. Paul, MN and live streaming at KFAI.org - Root Of All Evil

5 hours a week every Saturday night / Sunday morning from 1-6am
Show started in the spring of 1987 and is still on the air.
FORUM MOD!
R.I.P. 1996 - 2016
United States (us) MaleYouTube  

Topics Solved: 3

Yes, METAL SHOP in Detroit, MI was awesome....I believe it was broadcast on WRIF 101.1 FM; I remember listening regularly from probably '87 to '90 or so. Great memories of that show....If I recall correctly, they played '...And Justice For All' in its entirety from start to finish on the eve of its release... it was just a great sounding show overall with true metal attitude and spirit; I was a huge Flotsam and Jetsam fan and they did a debut play of "No Place For Disgrace" to launch that album's release -- just mind-blowing metal insanity. I hope that I might have some old tapes with recordings of the show...
Random avatar
Banned
United States (us) Male

From Romania.
Since February, 1990 Studio Rock. I can't remember the frequencies it aired (the station is online only since 2004 if I remember right). You can listen the show every Friday at 23.00 Romanian time or download the podcast.

Anders Lilla Metalhörna / Radio Metal Corner (Sweden, Stockholm)
Aired: December 1989 - ?
Host: Anders Malkolmsson
Played: Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, mainly Thrash Metal

Power Hour (Sweden, Norrköping)
Aired: 1987-1993
Hosts: Robban Berciovic, Erik Sandberg
Played: Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, mainly Thrash Metal

Metal Box (Sweden, Karlstad)
Aired: 1990 - ?
Hosts: Gabriel Lilliehöök, Robert Åslund
Played: International and Swedish Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, Interviews

Radio MCB / Malmö City Broadcasting (Sweden, Malmö)
Hosts: started by Anders Östling, Jocke Forsell, Janne Fexxman, Nilsson, later Danijela Pilic (1990 - ?)
Aired: 1981 - ?
Played: Speed / Thrash Metal, Female Fronted Metal, Interviews
Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1419

I remember in the 80's two radio shows that changed my life. WRTN 93.5 MIDNIGHT METAL (NYC) 1986-1989 and 89.5 WSOU RADIO ARMAGEDDON (NJ) 1986-1987. These shows turned me on to all types of metal. I heard bands for the first time like Possessed, Voivod, Sacrifice, Nasty Savage, Hollows Eve.... anything heavy from these stations back in the day.
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) Male 

Topics Solved: 2

NY: Metal Shop on PYX 106, Sunday nights during the 80s
United States (us) Male
Name: Ron

Thanks you Keir for mentionning Metallic Attack.
I was the producer and presenter of that radio show back then. (1985-1986).

I now have a facebook page in honour of that legendary metal show...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Metallic-Attack/173817885980251

Everyone is more than welcome to join !!!

From Medellín, Colombia:

1986 - Radio ZH 1500 AM 'La emisora del metal' (this station did not last long)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdCjhNcq63w

1990 - Radio Veracruz 98.9 FM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmbZS0amSko

1991 - Radioacktiva FM - Segment: "Metal Bajo Tierra" (this station now transmits Pop Rock)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ss1-fErcjY
Bringer of Steel
Colombia (co) Male YouTube  
Name: Infernvs

Topics Solved: 5

VERY COOL. I did Sonic Insanity radio show here in Rochester NY from 1989-2004. We recorded MANY of our shows. I have probably about 400 tapes of them. I have ripped some to mp3 and will post them soon, the earliest being 1992 I think. We also did a Top 5 poll, and I recently came across our resuklts for 1990 or 1991....I'll have to find that box and maybe scan some of the old playlists if I can get my scanner to work.
But I also have some older 80's Rochester NY radio shows on tape, like Metallic Overdrive (1983-1992) and Metal Mayhem (1984-1990) from around 1986.

• 1 likes this
Banned
United States (us) Male
Name: Mikael Vaalkoth

Topics Solved: 6

Cortina de hierro- - medellin/colombia
Bullmetal announcing the show with masacre and inquisition as well presenting Ekhymosis No es justo song....enjoy this.

Colombia (co) Male
Name: Hellraiser

SONIC INSANITY radio show, in Rochester, NY, aired every Tuesday evening on 88.5 FM-WRUR from summer 1989 to summer 2004. Hosted by Mike "The Mercyful One" and Ron "Evil Eye".

www.angelfire.com/fm/sonicinsanityradio/
Banned
United States (us) Male

Also in the 80's in Rochester NY there were 2 great radio shows!

METALLIC OVERDRIVE on Saturday nights at midnight til 4am hosted by Bob "The Warhead" Thomas. Ran from around 1981 or 1982 until about 1991 on 90.1 FM-WGMC. This show introduced me to thrash when I discovered it in September 1985!

METAL MAYHEM was also on Saturday nights, and was hosted originally by "The Little Dio" and was more traditional Heavy metal in its early years, but in 1987 was taken over by John Schoen and he played all Thrash and Hardcore and Crossover. The show ran from around 1983 until around 1989.

Some other metal radio shows in Rochester in the mid-to-late 1990's:
Sudden Death Overtime, The Academy Of Shred & a 3rd whose name escapes me but was hosted by Don "The Destructor".
I also did a small radio show from 1988-1989 at my high school radio station WIRQ-FM that was on Friday nights from 5-8pm and it was called "The Metal Force". We played all Thrash and Death metal. I ended this show and joined up with Ron to start Sonic Insanity.

Also in geneseo NR there was a metal radio show on the college station WGCC-FM called "Metal Inquisition" and was hosted by a hot metal chick named "Bee". She played a lot of thrash. We visited her show in 1989. It ran from the mid-80's until the early 90's with different hosts.
Banned
United States (us) Male

I wonder if someone got things confused... I've been doing an online radio show DOOM Radio for about geez, what is it 6 or 7 years now? It's at the vibrationsofdoom.com site... I started guest hosting at WREKage many years ago; very gracious and honored to those guys for letting me come in and play stuff... Paul Cashman and Tim Hurd are legends and the institution of WREKage, without those two I dunno if WREKage would still continue!!

My show is a 2 hour "broadcast..." actually, it's pre-recorded but I still play TONS of rare 80's metal alongside the stuff record labels from all over the world send me, many times I'll play cuts from albums not due in stores for another month or two... Grateful am I to the labels that keep me supplied with endless goodies lol...
Random avatar

« Return to General Metal Discussions