Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » What Was Your NWOBHM Introduction?
For me, it was Maiden of course. NWOBHM bands are all legends.
Random avatar
United States (us) Male
Name: Nesto

Topics Solved: 0

My first foray into real NWOBHM started with Angel Witch's s/t. What an album. Then I discovered Holocaust - The Nightcomers and Omega - The Prophet and kept on exploring from there.
United States (us) Male

Older guys may remember dead format stores, some sort of sick chain stores where you could trade your vinyls and tapes for some other rare stuff. These stores were always flooded with all sort of dead serious metalheads. I was always listening to american heavy metal and cross-overs at the time.one day i met another caveman(yes we were called cavemans with long beard and long hair!) who asked me about judas priest. Defenders of the faith was so viral then, and he told me (by wrong) that this music is not simply heavy metal, this is nwobhm!there was no internet , everything was word of mouth so it took me years to study the new genre. And you know it was so classy , what do you listen to? Nwobhm! The days passed and the addiction grew, never met that guy again but i am still happy that he led me wrong.
Bringer of Steel
Iran (ir) Male
Name: Al

Topics Solved: 28

insane surgeon wrote: "Older guys may remember dead format stores, some sort of sick chain stores where you could trade your vinyls and tapes for some other rare stuff. These stores were always flooded with all sort of dead serious metalheads. I was always listening to american heavy metal and cross-overs at the time.one day i met another caveman(yes we were called cavemans with long beard and long hair!) who asked me about judas priest. Defenders of the faith was so viral then, and he told me (by wrong) that this music is not simply heavy metal, this is NWOBHM there was no internet "

ah, kind of weird, but not totally.
Yeah, when you got to a record store and are brand new to heavy metal,there will be many that will tell you "what is what", until you buy magazines/fanzines, listen to radio shows, and talk to other underground metalheads.
Unfortunately, NOW the so-called underground is full of kids that are revising metal history and a lot of those fags run Metal Archives.

Bearded?
That reminds me - Pat from Hellwitch said the nickname back in day for Blessed Death was "Bearded Death" ! Ha ha!
This pic is not accurate, you need to watch bootleg videos.
http://i.imgur.com/OtpTC17.jpg
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 327

As a 19 years old "kid" now, I started to search long forgotten and unknown gems just some years ago.

My first HEAVY metal album was Fear of the Dark, although the 90's where not a "new wave" anymore, so I think the debut was the very first...
FORUM MOD!
Brazil (br) Male 
Name: Mauro

Topics Solved: 9

From memory "Welcome to Hell" - Venom was the very first. Then from there it was these:

The cover of 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' by Cradle of Filth made me interested in what the original sounded like.

Metallica - due to their influences

Megadeth - due to their influences

Judas Priest - "Sad Wings of Destiny" and "British Steel"

Tokyo Blade - "Tokyo Blade" (1983)

I can't remember which order but you get the idea.
Australia (au) Male
Name: Axle

Iron Maiden... classic.
Bringer of Steel
Germany (de) MaleYouTube 

Topics Solved: 4

Iron Maiden @ Dortmund 1983!
Random avatar
Bulgaria (bg) Male

Priest \m/
Random avatar
Brazil (br) Male

zyzz69 wrote:Priest \m/

Not NWoBHM.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 93

I heard Raven's Don't Need Your Money by looking them up after someone made fun of their video for On and On (granted, the video is rather ridiculous). I fell in love immediately. 'Never even properly heard Maiden before!
Random avatar
Netherlands (nl) Male

Iron Maiden for sure :)
Random avatar
Sweden (se) Male

It had to be the mighty Raven

Still a big fan to this day
United States (us) Male
Name: Ian

I was introduced to Maiden a long time ago by an older cousin but I didn't know about NWOBHM then. Being in Canada I was not exposed to many British bands (and I did not pay attention to be bands origins) but I did get into Venom for a while. My proper NWOBHM introduction was through Sam Dunn's documentary. From that point I started researching the NWOBHM era/genre (this website is of great help) and I bought Malc Macmillan's book.

Here are my top 20 NWOBHM songs (max 1 song per band):

ARC - War of the Ring
Amethyst - Into the Night
Atomkraft - Future Warrior
Avenger - Revenge Attack
Bitches Sin - Down the Road
Bleak House - Rainbow Warrior
Chateaux - Straight to the Heart Highly Strung
Cloven Hoof - Cloven Hoof
Demon Pact - Escape
Desolation Angels - Valhalla
Flyte - Oh for the Brains of a Ludwig
Holocaust - Heavy Metal Mania
Iron Maiden - Phantom of the Opera
Mayhem - Addictive Risk
Medusa - Can't Get Away
Pagan Altar - Reincarnation
Race Against Time - Bleed You Dry
Sweet Revenge - Hawks of Cairo
Spartan Warrior - Sentenced to Die
Witchfinder General - Friends of Hell

(great)
France (fr) Male

witchcross wrote:after a discovery and love-affair with Scorpions, Ac/dc, and the Unleashed in the East Priest album (the first Priest I was exposed to), my neighbor had something called "Killers" from you-know-who, and it was the greatest thing I ever heard up to that point. A few months later, Number of the Beast was released and I snapped it up and there was no turning back, just pure bliss - and saw them on that US tour supporting Priest on their Screaming tour (now, THAT was a show!). Then gradually just kept discovering albums by other bands, here and there, mixed in with the German and other US and Euro groups - so I didn't really discover NWOBHM all at once, just piece by piece as I found an album. Didn't even really consider it as a separate category - it was all metal to me, whether I was spinning Metal Church or Jaguar it didn't matter. Witchfynde, Witchkiller, Witch Cross - it was all METAL and I loved it all and didn't think too much about the countries of origin.

By the time of Lars' NWOBHM '79 revisted, I already had albums/EPs by most of those bands, and knew about the others - I was into heavier stuff like Destruction, Artillery, etc at the time, so didn't really go crazy over the comp, it was "just ok", but I liked the idea of it, knowing that a lot of people would be turned on to non-mainstream bands, so I thought it was really cool that it came out, even if I wasn't crazy over the track/band selections.

Later on, I mellowed a bit and got into some bands that were too mellow for me before. But some "classic" NWOBHM bands I never really got into - for instance, I never saw the big deal about Diamond Head - to me, they were B-grade stuff and didn't compare with the likes of Angel Witch, Jaguar, Saxon, Maiden, Demon, Grim Reaper, Raven and bands like this. I just found DH boring, sort of like the Witchfynde albums before Cloak and Dagger. I really loved my Cloak and Dagger vinyl but never got into the earlier ones, too boring! To this day, DH puts me to sleep, lol :c)

Gotta agree with you about DH, instrumentally it's OK, more hard rock than anything but the lead signer voice ruins everything, so whinny it's insufferable.
France (fr) Male

« Return to General Metal Discussions