Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » What Was Your NWOBHM Introduction?
  • There are many avid NWOBHM fans here and I am just curious, how were you turned onto it?

For me, my first full NWOBHM experience was in 1990 through a compilation album called New Wave of British Heavy Metal '79 Revisited. This 2-LP/Cd set was put together by Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich and music journalist Geoff Barton (Sounds). Prior to this release, my only exposure to the NWOBHM movement was Iron Maiden and Def Leppard...

I had an awareness of this era because a lot of the bands I listened to referenced the NWOBHM in interviews and listed bands such as Diamond Head, Angel Witch, Blitzkrieg,Iron Maiden, Tygers Of Pan Tang etc as influences but I never got to hear the real thing until this comp..

I found out about it's release through a radio show I used to listen to every week called Metal Shop (I'm sure some of the Metal Vets here will remember this show). And they did a special on it and interviewed Lars Ulrich. I sat there in total awe as I listened to Diamond Head, Sweet Savage,Tyers Of Pan Tang,Hollow Ground and a few others for the first time..I was hooked!! Every store I went to did not have it in stock and didn't know what I was talking about so I had to order it direct by mail order from the label.

Unfortunately, this set has been long out of print but to this day remains my favorite compilation of this period in HM and I think it's a great introduction and snap shot of the NWOBHM. Along with the killer music on this, this album just holds a lot of good memories and is still very special to me..

Disc One
    1."It's Electric" - Diamond Head
    2."Eye of the Storm" - Sweet Savage
    3."Motorcycle Man" - Saxon
    4."Cheetah" - White Spirit
    5."Don't Need Your Money" - Raven
    6."White Lightning" - Paralex
    7."Getcha Rocks Off" - Def Leppard
    8."Set the Stage Alight" - Weapon
    9."Vice Versa" - Samson
    10."Fight with the Devil" - Hollow Ground
    11."Demolition Boys" - Girlschool
    12."Leaving Nadir" - Witchfynde

Disc Two
    1."Sanctuary" - Iron Maiden
    2."Back Street Woman" - Jaguar
    3."Killers" - Tygers of Pan Tang
    4."I'm No Fool" - Gaskin
    5."Sledgehammer" - Sledgehammer
    6."Angel Dust" - Venom
    7."Extermination Day" - Angel Witch
    8."One of These Days" - Trespass
    9."Death or Glory" - Holocaust
    10."If I Were King" - Vardis
    11."Blitzkrieg" - Blitzkrieg
    12."Helpless" - Diamond Head
    13."Ambitions" - Dragster
    14."Treason" - A II Z
    15."Witchfinder General" - Witchfinder General
    16."Red Lights" - Black Axe
    17."S.S. Giro" - Fist
    18."Captured City" - Praying Mantis

December 1979 issue of Sounds w/ Thunderstick (Samson drummer) on the cover..

Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male
    Name: Chris Ruiz

Topics Solved: 0

'79 Revisited was also my first introduction to NWOBHM, probably from reading about it in a review in Metal Forces magazine. I remember being amazed by all these fantastic bands which I had mostly never heard of (apart from the obvious ones like Maiden and Def Leppard of course). It showed me there was a whole world of obscure metal out there that I never knew about before, so it was a very exciting time for me in terms of musical discovery. From then I discovered this great record shop that used to be in Leeds, England called Vinyl Tap, which sold lots of hard to find NWOBHM vinyl and CD's and my interest really took off from there.

I still think '79 Revisited is the definitive NWOBHM compilation as it isn't restricted to any one record label, which many NWOBHM compilations are. In fact, I'm surprised how they managed to get the rights to release all of this stuff, as the material appears to have been sourced from the master tapes rather than vinyl rips. It's a great starting point for anyone looking to get into NWOBHM.

• 2 likes this
     Male

Topics Solved: 3

"Grim Reaper - See You In Hell" was my first introduction, but what truly got me hooked was their "Bleed 'em Dry" demo from 1980/1. That kicked me off on the NWOBHM tangent and forever made me a die-hard of the genre. And now my upper left arm looks like this (metal1) :

http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad149/Mcniggleston/313224_10150412277244216_791559215_8287181_1487127874_n.jpg

• 3 likes this

Bleed 'em Dry
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male YouTube 
    Name: Matt St.Ours

Topics Solved: 4

"Venom" was my very first introduction to NWOBHM and 'Black Metal' was to become one of my first LP's.
    The day I turned 18 I made this for my upper left arm - should we join legions Mcniggleston?

http://i.imgur.com/GvVTc.jpg

• 3 likes this
    Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
    Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1419

Don't you know? We ARE Legion? (evil) This whole forum breathes the same stale air of amazing forgotten music, you and I just have tattoo's about it to take our addictions fruther. (hehe1)

Bleed 'em Dry
    Bringer of Steel

Cool topic. Though I was a fan of the big names in NWOBHM (Maiden, Def Leppard, Saxon) since the 80s, it was probably around 2004 when I really started to explore it. I remember seeing the Lightning To The Nations CD at a store and since I loved the Metallica covers of their songs I bought it. I was blown away. The next album I bought was the NWOBHM '79 Revisited comp (on cassette for $0.99). I have to agree with Atlantis Metal that it is still the definitive NWOBHM compilation. From there I started searching for all the bands on that comp and more.

• 1 likes this
    Bringer of Steel

Well, I do not own such memories, maybe 'cos I'm still too young, but I think my, let's say,
    cover letter to the NWOBHM was Savage's Loose n' Lethal, downloaded right from here.For me,
    it sounded somehow much stronger than the sound of the bands I tended to hear before,
    even beeing death/thrash metal realated, so I started searching for more.
    So, I came, by many ways, through bands like Tygers of Pan Tang, Dragonslayer, Diamond Head, Angel Witch,
    Tank and so on (well, Iron Maiden too,
    but for my still noobish brain, it didn't sound that NWOBHM).

And so, I arrived to some compilations, basically the two Metal for Muthas ones
    (didn't find the third one) and the Lightning to the Nations NWOBHM 25th anniversary comp,
    which gave me a panoramic view of the thing, then getting interested on bands such as
    Cloven Hoof, Heavy Pettin', Holocaust (how not?), or the more melodical Praying Mantis.
    Too, as I compare the different comps looks like the ones who chose the songs may get on very well,
    as they have chosen pretty much the same bands.
    Well, looks like the comp you mentioned it's cool, too.
    Maybe I should check it out (hmm)...
    But it doesn't have crucifixion! (viking)
    Well, looks like mine ones lack on some bands, too (hmm)...

• 1 likes this
    Spain (es) Male

Topics Solved: 1

Mcniggleston wrote:"Grim Reaper - See You In Hell" was my first introduction, but what truly got me hooked was their "Bleed 'em Dry" demo from 1980/1. That kicked me off on the NWOBHM tangent and forever made me a die-hard of the genre. And now my upper left arm looks like this (metal1) :

http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad149/Mcniggleston/313224_10150412277244216_791559215_8287181_1487127874_n.jpg

Just checked these guys out thanks to your post and I really dig em! Listening to the Bleed 'em Dry demo you spoke of downloaded from here, really good stuff! Any album you would suggest of theirs checking out first? I see they released a few...
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male

Bruce10 wrote:Well, I do not own such memories, maybe 'cos I'm still too young, but I think my, let's say,
    cover letter to the NWOBHM was Savage's Loose n' Lethal, downloaded right from here.For me,
    it sounded somehow much stronger than the sound of the bands I tended to hear before,
    even beeing death/thrash metal realated, so I started searching for more.
    So, I came, by many ways, through bands like Tygers of Pan Tang, Dragonslayer, Diamond Head, Angel Witch,
    Tank and so on (well, Iron Maiden too,
    but for my still noobish brain, it didn't sound that NWOBHM).

And so, I arrived to some compilations, basically the two Metal for Muthas ones
    (didn't find the third one) and the Lightning to the Nations NWOBHM 25th anniversary comp,
    which gave me a panoramic view of the thing, then getting interested on bands such as
    Cloven Hoof, Heavy Pettin', Holocaust (how not?), or the more melodical Praying Mantis.
    Too, as I compare the different comps looks like the ones who chose the songs may get on very well,
    as they have chosen pretty much the same bands.
    Well, looks like the comp you mentioned it's cool, too.
    Maybe I should check it out (hmm)...
    But it doesn't have crucifixion! (viking)
    Well, looks like mine ones lack on some bands, too (hmm)...

It's a really good comp and I think you would enjoy it. I never get tired of hearing it..It's a perfect mix for me when I'm up for a selection of NWOBHM numbers..Not sure if it has been uploaded here but if not I do have it in flac. I'd be happy to send it to an uploader to post for you if you do want it and can't find it anywhere else :-)
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male

Chris, I recommend anything you can get your hands on for Grim Reaper. There is no "bad" material they ever did. If you can...get the 1983 DEMO version of "See You In Hell" off the '83 "For Demonstration Only" demo (not to be confused with the 1982 For Demonstration Only), it's such a better version than the studio version that was released later that same year on Ebony Records.

See You In Hell 1983 demo (cover art for this is way off...wish I had a scan of the original 1983 "For Demonstration Only (Red)" cover):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk_JtgHyNeE
    ....and my cover of it for added fun (cheers1) :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvdjt8f7SY0

I'm a die-hard Grim Reaper fan (I've got the demos (yes, original copies), records, memorabilia, tribute covers, back story, I can basically play the See You In Hell and Fear No Evil albums start to finish pretty close to note-for-note on guitar...I mean, just look at my avatar pic of my guitar LOL! )...so if there's any info about them if you wish to know, I may just have an answer for ya. Don't hesitate to ask or PM me, I'd love to shoot the breeze with another Reaper fan.

• 2 likes this

Bleed 'em Dry
    Bringer of Steel

Mcniggleston wrote:Chris, I recommend anything you can get your hands on for Grim Reaper. There is no "bad" material they ever did. If you can...get the 1983 DEMO version of "See You In Hell" off the '83 "For Demonstration Only" demo (not to be confused with the 1982 For Demonstration Only), it's such a better version than the studio version that was released later that same year on Ebony Records.

See You In Hell 1983 demo (cover art for this is way off...wish I had a scan of the original 1983 "For Demonstration Only (Red)" cover):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk_JtgHyNeE
    ....and my cover of it for added fun (cheers1) :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvdjt8f7SY0

I'm a die-hard Grim Reaper fan (I've got the demos (yes, original copies), records, memorabilia, tribute covers, back story, I can basically play the See You In Hell and Fear No Evil albums start to finish pretty close to note-for-note on guitar...I mean, just look at my avatar pic of my guitar LOL! )...so if there's any info about them if you wish to know, I may just have an answer for ya. Don't hesitate to ask or PM me, I'd love to shoot the breeze with another Reaper fan.

Thanks Matt! Great job on that cover, love your guitar and great tone! I'll check out the rest of your videos. I play as well, wish there was guys like you near me to jam with. What I like most and admire about musicians (especially guitarists) is having their own identity on the instrument w/ both original material and playing covers and you definitely have that..Again, good job man!

Is the 83' demo with "See You In Hell" a full demo or just that track? I'll see if it is posted here...
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male

Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
    when I was 13, in my school were guys who did listen Heavy Metal in that days and one of them borrow me that CD and I was shocked with that sound, after I begun to listen bands like Saxon, Grim Reaper and Angel Witch and then I knew that H.M was and is the way

• 1 likes this
    Chile (cl)

Topics Solved: 2

after a discovery and love-affair with Scorpions, Ac/dc, and the Unleashed in the East Priest album (the first Priest I was exposed to), my neighbor had something called "Killers" from you-know-who, and it was the greatest thing I ever heard up to that point. A few months later, Number of the Beast was released and I snapped it up and there was no turning back, just pure bliss - and saw them on that US tour supporting Priest on their Screaming tour (now, THAT was a show!). Then gradually just kept discovering albums by other bands, here and there, mixed in with the German and other US and Euro groups - so I didn't really discover NWOBHM all at once, just piece by piece as I found an album. Didn't even really consider it as a separate category - it was all metal to me, whether I was spinning Metal Church or Jaguar it didn't matter. Witchfynde, Witchkiller, Witch Cross - it was all METAL and I loved it all and didn't think too much about the countries of origin.

By the time of Lars' NWOBHM '79 revisted, I already had albums/EPs by most of those bands, and knew about the others - I was into heavier stuff like Destruction, Artillery, etc at the time, so didn't really go crazy over the comp, it was "just ok", but I liked the idea of it, knowing that a lot of people would be turned on to non-mainstream bands, so I thought it was really cool that it came out, even if I wasn't crazy over the track/band selections.

Later on, I mellowed a bit and got into some bands that were too mellow for me before. But some "classic" NWOBHM bands I never really got into - for instance, I never saw the big deal about Diamond Head - to me, they were B-grade stuff and didn't compare with the likes of Angel Witch, Jaguar, Saxon, Maiden, Demon, Grim Reaper, Raven and bands like this. I just found DH boring, sort of like the Witchfynde albums before Cloak and Dagger. I really loved my Cloak and Dagger vinyl but never got into the earlier ones, too boring! To this day, DH puts me to sleep, lol :c)

• 2 likes this
    Bringer of Steel

Topics Solved: 18

witchcross wrote:after a discovery and love-affair with Scorpions, Ac/dc, and the Unleashed in the East Priest album (the first Priest I was exposed to), my neighbor had something called "Killers" from you-know-who, and it was the greatest thing I ever heard up to that point. A few months later, Number of the Beast was released and I snapped it up and there was no turning back, just pure bliss - and saw them on that US tour supporting Priest on their Screaming tour (now, THAT was a show!). Then gradually just kept discovering albums by other bands, here and there, mixed in with the German and other US and Euro groups - so I didn't really discover NWOBHM all at once, just piece by piece as I found an album. Didn't even really consider it as a separate category - it was all metal to me, whether I was spinning Metal Church or Jaguar it didn't matter. Witchfynde, Witchkiller, Witch Cross - it was all METAL and I loved it all and didn't think too much about the countries of origin.

By the time of Lars' NWOBHM '79 revisted, I already had albums/EPs by most of those bands, and knew about the others - I was into heavier stuff like Destruction, Artillery, etc at the time, so didn't really go crazy over the comp, it was "just ok", but I liked the idea of it, knowing that a lot of people would be turned on to non-mainstream bands, so I thought it was really cool that it came out, even if I wasn't crazy over the track/band selections.

Later on, I mellowed a bit and got into some bands that were too mellow for me before. But some "classic" NWOBHM bands I never really got into - for instance, I never saw the big deal about Diamond Head - to me, they were B-grade stuff and didn't compare with the likes of Angel Witch, Jaguar, Saxon, Maiden, Demon, Grim Reaper, Raven and bands like this. I just found DH boring, sort of like the Witchfynde albums before Cloak and Dagger. I really loved my Cloak and Dagger vinyl but never got into the earlier ones, too boring! To this day, DH puts me to sleep, lol :c)

Awesome to hear your Killers introduction. The first Maiden I was exposed to was Powerslave and Somewhere In Time which I love. But the Maiden album that really hit me was Killers. That might sound weird being for most it goes in reverse but there's just something about, I guess it's just the rawness and vibe it has. Same for the first album but Killers is my favorite between the two.
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male

after Killers and then #Beast, the next thing I heard was the Maiden Japan EP - they had that at our local store. I really loved this too. I was confused over the different vocals between # and Maiden Japan & Killers - those were the days before I discovered there were metal/rock magazines.

Like when I bought those double-LPs from Sabbath and Ozzy (Live Evil and Speak of the Devil), I really didn't get why the same songs were on both, I just knew I really loved playing the LPs. To me, Sabbath was Dio on vocals, because my first Sabbath album was Heaven and Hell (and next was Live Evil and Mob Rules), and the first time I heard Ozzy, he was already Blizzard of Ozz.

Just like the first time I heard Ian Gillan, wasn't with DP, it was with Born Again. I said, holy fuck, who is this mad screamer??!!!! The screams on Hot Line and Disturbing the Priest - it wasn't until Eric Adams' bloodcurling screams in "Hatred" that I heard something to compare!

I think I've strayed quite a bit from the NWOBHM! Well, Manowar DID write "Hail to England"! :c)

• 1 likes this
    Bringer of Steel

Was Iron Maiden - Pieçe of Mind & The number of the beast - cyrka 1984
    Portugal (pt) Male
    Name: Antonio

Back in '86 I was 14, my uncles had introduced me to Black Sabbath and Ozzy and I was hungry for more. They were in the military and would bring me back stuff when they got back to the states. That year they brought me an 'Aces High' shirt from Germany. I lived in a pretty small town so it was hard to find ANY metal, even though it was really at the height of popularity in 86. I loved the shirt, wore it every day, still had not ever heard the band. Flash forward to the first day of school, and behold, the new kid turned out to be the OTHER metalhead in town. We, of course got on immediately. After school, smoking newports on the roof of his garage I finally did get to hear Powerslave, along with Venom, Destruction etc. Much later, I filled in the gaps in my metal education via Napster and Soulseek in the early 2000's and this is where I came upon the infamous '79 Revisited comp.

• 1 likes this

Oh shit, I'm really old. Well, my first contact with NWOBHM was back in 1980, when a friend of mine bought Metal for muthas, we were simply mesmerized by the power and the drive of those new bands. Starting from this, we bought what we could afford (So no singles or EPs, too much money for too few songs): Iron Maiden, Angel Witch, Samson, Tygers etc. . It was really hard get information in those days, no internet, no metal magazines, very scarce radioplay, often you had to judge by the cover if it was worth a try. On the other hand, each new LP could be the gateway to another musical dimension.

• 2 likes this
    Germany (de) MaleYouTube 
    Name: Martin

Topics Solved: 8

yeah, remember the days of judging strictly by the cover? Almost every LP I bought back in the early/mid 80s, I was pretty much going by the cover artwork alone. Cool times!!

Only later in the 80s did I find out about Metal Forces, fanzines, Kerrang! and the like ... but often, my opinions of the LPs I *DID* have, didn't match the reviewers', so I learned at an early age to read reviews with a very skeptical eye ...

and I always found LPs in the shops that I never saw in any magazine, so it was the cover art that was the main thing. Having friends who were into the same music was a big help, we could divide our purchases - we never bought the same titles - we each would pick different bands/albums, and use our cassette tape decks to make copies for each other.

• 3 likes this
    Bringer of Steel

"British Steel" by Judas Priest!
    Random avatar
     Male
    Name: Jaernregn

« Return to General Metal Discussions