Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » The worst, most disappointing metal albums.
Priest's " Jugulator " for me not most dissapoint album - i was much more dissapointed after " Turbo " for example. Because it's predecessor was mighty " Deffenders " . And i waited for equal album . But after years i found some pretty good songs in it.
In a case of Jugulator i was ready for something non-perfect ( vocals changed , solo album of Tipton was not good ). So, i was not dissapointed so much. Just one mor shit. Not so rare case in 90's. But i can't find any positive moment in it till' now ( despite that Rippers voice is really strong ).

About dissapoint albums - usually ( for me ) that bad albums which are came after masterpieces, or after long - awaited re-union.
And some of them have really good songs. But they just broke your hopes for something special.
For me some of them are :
Fates warning - No exit
H-n - pink bubbles ( not Chameleon because it came after shitty album )
Savatage - Awake of Magellan
Stranger - Pretty Angels
Metallica - Load
Metal Church - Masterpieces ( think, their bottom . Even despite Wayne presents and M.Ch. 200's albums )
WASP - Kill Fuck ( simply 2-nd place after Jugulator )
Pinc Cream 69 - Changes
Bathory - Requiem
King Daimond - Abigail II

Topics Solved: 0

concerning manowar i partly agree on kings of metal (also fighting the world has to be named, it's the more or less the same style), but the real catastrophe didn't happen until warriors of the world came out... i'd even get a "turbo" tattoo before filing this under "heavy metal".

this album threw them back to the kindergarden, and they'll never get out again, the show is over.
as i'm no american, i'd be interested what usa-natives think of the "american trilogy" - is it anything else than pure shit?
nessun dorma yourself, boys!

still there is a large manowar-logo on my kutte, but after this album it was a very hard decision to rip it off or not.

analoguerogue wrote:as i'm no american, i'd be interested what usa-natives think of the "american trilogy" - is it anything else than pure shit?

I hated it. Pure shit. In spite of that, I still love Manowar and am proud of it. They've done plenty of stupid stuff over the years but nothing I can't deal with. They've never done anything as disgraceful as Load, St. Anger, etc.

• 1 likes this
DMR
United States (us) Male 

One that comes to mind right away for me is 1984's Di'Anno album. I was looking very forward to hearing this and when I did it was a tremendous disappointment..Just a very limp and lifeless album imo...

Bringer of Steel
United States (us) Male
Name: Chris Ruiz

Someone had to say it:

Manowar - The lord of steel: pretty damn bad, boring, lyrically generic and unoriginal, it has its old school thrill here and there, but overall is garbage, it sucks that five years of wait after the not so godly "gods of war" all they could come up with was this pile of shite, what a disappointment.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DAfBNSj7pBM/T9mfpZP1BNI/AAAAAAAAJFQ/Ry-L_qwVTeY/s1600/MANOWAR+The+Lord+Of+Steel+COVER.jpg (dislike)
Name: Edgar

Well Here is Something to Mention i Got to Listen to Ex-Deicide Originals Eric & Brian Hoffman's Amon's Liar in Wait

Since Glen Benton Kicked Their Arse Out of Deicide They Ressurected Amon and Got 2 Newbys from Different Bands They Release Liar in Wait
Not What i Expected from the Hoffman's Yet They Went Melodic Instaid of Going Back to the Original Deicide Sound Their Good Moments But Not What i Expected and The Vocalyst Sounds Like a Glen Benton Clone and in a Interview With Eric Hoffman He Brags About How He Sounds Like a Young Glen Benton and How This Sounds Awesome and Were Better Crap all i Haft to Say Dissopointment and That Too Hell With God Was a Step Up for Deicide and That i Don't Have Any Expectations for Amon on Their Next Release When it Ever Get's Made and Released
and They Want People to Pay $20 for Their Damn Record on Their Website

http://i56.tinypic.com/160v31c.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oQTbd.png
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) MaleYouTube 
Name: Ben Smith

Topics Solved: 16

I completely agree with Amon!

There are many albums of great bands that dissapointed me but still,they have a couple of cool songs on them. One album that really,really dissapointed me when it came out was Renewal of Kreator.WTF were they thinking working on that one? I still hate it today!

Lulu is not a real Metallica album but a collaboration of Lou Reed and Metallica.I can't say I like it that much (anymore...),a couple of songs are pretty cool.
Random avatar
Netherlands (nl) FemaleFemale

I've rarely heard an album that I really thought "man, this is pure shit" and totally hated it, but of course there are those moments for me as well. That is, of course, apart from all the metalcore and nu metal albums, which to me all sound like solid crap. Now the albums I'm about to list are not necessarily bad albums that I don't like, but just disappointing coming from a band that otherwise release great albums.

Megadeth - Risk.

Probably the album that ever disappointed me the most, at least back in the day before I had heard nearly as many metal albums as I've heard today. It's been a long time since I heard this one and maybe I'd find it okay today since I've evolved and listen to much electronic music, but at the time and for being a Megadeth album, this sure as hell blows. While I like Marty Friedman, I think it was in time that he left after that album flopped (as I've heard he was the driving force behind that direction).

Spread Eagle - Open To The Public

Not sure you guys know this band, but they were an excellent metallic-sleaze band between like 89-94 or something. They did a most excellent debut in 1990 that actually is my all-time fave sleaze / glam album. Some really heavy and raw stuff for that genre. However, their second and last album, released in 1993, was such a big disappointment. While the album opener in fact is as kick-ass as can be, the rest of the album never reaches above mediocre at best. This album also went in a new direction, probably towards more of an alternative sound to fit with the times, I don't know really what to call it. Conclusion is - this is not near being a good album.

Slayer - South Of Heaven

Here's one that I don't think is a bad album, but for being a Slayer album back in the good days of thrash metal, this album doesn't really make a good competitor. It's not that it was slower than "Reign In Blood", in fact I think that album is way overrated and people should listen to "Darkness Descends" by Dark Angel (also from 1986) instead, but I just couldn't feel any heart in these songs, except for maybe the title track and one more. Slayer themselves also said this was the only album they ever sat down and discussed about how making. Probably a good thing they didn't try that method again.

Mötley Crüe - Dr. Feelgood

When I grew up, my dad played the first two albums by the Crüe. When I was old enough and got an interest in music, these were undoubtedly my favorites as well. I do think "Theatre Of Pain" and "Girls, Girls, Girls" are okey albums, too. This one however, I never, ever could get into and like. If you think Bob Rock destroyed Metallica with the "Black Album", which I think is pretty good, you should hear this. He made the Crüe into the Motly Boys.

Iron Maiden - No Prayer For The Dying

With Adrian Smith gone, my favorite Maiden-songwriter, and after all those years of many, great albums, I was kinda prepared that maybe this time it was going to be a rotten fish. The only thing I can say about this album is that I wasn't expecting it to be THIS rotten, this sounds like utter shit! The production doesn't make it sound better either, but on the other hand ... If this album would've sounded like Powerslave, it still would suck due to the extremely mediocre and boring songs. Maiden's weakest, at least with Bruce Dickinson.

Kiss - Just about all albums

Thinking of how big and famous they are, their albums really suck. They made quite good hits from time to time, but the fillers on their albums were bad.

Oh and great thread by the way!! (vking1)
Sweden (se) Male

I agree the new MANOWAR is very disappointing. The band are a far cry from what they once were. I still love the classic stuff though, but the new one is tired and insipid.

Regarding Queensryche dying after Empire - I agree, except that I also think Empire was very bad and the beginning of the downward spiral. That once former glorious band, writing tripe like "Jet City Woman", "Della Brown", etc - ugh! The title-track was the sole good song on that bad album, and the subsequent albums got worse and worse. Empire was one of my most disappointing albums ever, especially since I worship the EP, Warning, Rage for Order, and O:M.

And don't even joke about OM2 - just like Helloween's pathetically-named "Keepers III" - sucked sucked sucked.
Bringer of Steel

Topics Solved: 18

New MANOWAR is pretty awful, especially that mind-bendingly bad re-recording of Battle Hymns. Why do bands do this? It's either for a cheap buck or because they acknowledge they'll never live up to their past... both reasons are lame.

And the new RUNNING WILD has to be one of the most godawful attempts I've heard lately. Not to mention the new Cloven Hoof single... holy fuck!
Random avatar
Canada (ca) Male

Thrashoholic wrote:Iron Maiden - No Prayer For The Dying

With Adrian Smith gone, my favorite Maiden-songwriter, and after all those years of many, great albums, I was kinda prepared that maybe this time it was going to be a rotten fish. The only thing I can say about this album is that I wasn't expecting it to be THIS rotten, this sounds like utter shit! The production doesn't make it sound better either, but on the other hand ... If this album would've sounded like Powerslave, it still would suck due to the extremely mediocre and boring songs. Maiden's weakest, at least with Bruce Dickinson.

A friend of mine bought this album the day it came out and played it three times in a row.He was pretty wild about the album and the whole time I was thinking,what the hell am I listening at? This was not Maiden I like that much.What a boring album.
Random avatar

cannibalgoddess wrote:

A friend of mine bought this album the day it came out and played it three times in a row.He was pretty wild about the album and the whole time I was thinking,what the hell am I listening at? This was not Maiden I like that much.What a boring album.

Your friend must have listened to some real bad albums in 1990 (hehe)
Sweden (se) Male

Haha,I think he was into Maiden a bit too much. (evilsmile)
Random avatar

I don't know how I missed this discussion. Too busy I guess. There are so many threads running on here, it's hard to keep up. I was extremely disappointed with Maiden's "A Matter Of Life and Death." I bought the version with the making of DVD. All the songs were full of long quiet passages in an attempt at old English progressive rock. I watched the DVD, and Adrian Smith said in it that he wished to go away from the classic Maiden gallop for a progressive rock sound that the band members grew up with. I don't quite get it, they may have grown up on progressive rock, but it didn't stop them from doing "the Number of the Beast," "Piece of Mind," or "Powerslave." I guess what I'm saying is that my metal collecting which goes back to the late 70s has seen the purchase of many disappointing albums, but the purchase of "A Matter Of Life and Death" stands out as most memorable. I like my Maiden to sound like Maiden not like Tull. "The Final Frontier" restored my faith that I was listening to a metal band. To my ears, the album is very much old Maiden, but with modern production values. There's nothing nu-metal about the album.
United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 14

The worst piece of crap to hit my ears was "Lola" by "Lou Reed & Metallica". For one, I like the weird "original hipster" sound of the 1960's art house rock bands like The Velvet Underground, so I was excited to hear Lou Reed delving into something a bit heavier. Second, Metallica's last album was a far cry better than anything they've done since "The Black Album", so I was hopeful that a little experimentation might further reawaken their long-dormant songwriting abilities seemingly on vacation since "..And Justice For All". UNfortunately, I was wrong on both accounts, as this was just disjointed "psuedo-Load" blues metal crap and Lou Reed trying to caterwaul all over the place to make it sound edgy and Avant-Garde. Even his weirdness couldn't save the post-alcoholic but still boozy-sounding writer's block that was the music Metallica brought to the table. I know Lou had a had in composing these tracks, too, so he's just as much to blame as Metallica, but at least he had nothing to lose in this experiment, because he's always been a misunderstood cult figure from the beginning.
 Male
Name: Zealot

Well i forgot to Mention in My First Disappointing Reply Was the Ungodly Morbid Angel's Comeback Record Illud Divinum Insanus

What a Huge Disappointment They Practicly Spat on Their Line of Amazing Past Albums and Also Thier Loyal Fans as Well But Thier Were Good Tracks But for Them to Do Industrial Metal Seemed Like a Different Idea But When it Finaly Came Out Me and My Brother Were Searching on Reviews Saying it Sucked Well Thanks to YouTube the Utter Truth Revealed it's Ugly Self Showing That the Most Dominated Death Metal Band Finaly Hit Rock Bottom to Obliveon

Will Not Forget that Day it Was Even the Most Contervsal Album of the Year Over the Internet

I Have Heard Real Industrial Metal & Industrial Bands and What Morbid Angel Recorded Was Not Actual Industrial Metal it Was Just Plain Garbage Metal Gone Wrong and if Morbid Angel Ever Decide to Record and Redeem Themselfs Then the Answer is a BIG FAT NO!!!!

Even to Note They Have Released a Box Set With Remixes of the Damn Album (ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!)

Will Never Forget That Moment

Sorry if This Came Out as a Whole Review

Bringer of Steel

Nile's most recent drop "At The Gate Of Sethu" has been a disappointment, it does has its moments you can't take that from it, but it feels like if they're losing their fuel here, quite simple, pretty much a poor man's version of "Those Whom The Gods Detest" It's unfortunate since i worship the mighty Nile but "At The Gates Of Sethu" next to Manowar's later screw up is one of the biggest disappointments of the year for me.
Name: Edgar

I guess it's just a matter of opinion because certain albums that are mentioned often i really like.

Raven-The Pack Is Back
Savatage-Fight For The Rock
Celtic Frost-Cold Lake

They arent the type of stuff these bands usually do but as albums on there own i like them.If you try to put them up against other stuff these bands have done they're not good albums comparing them.

I also thought the Scorpions-Unbreakable was a good album.

• 1 likes this

KilledByDeath wrote:I guess it's just a matter of opinion because certain albums that are mentioned often i really like.

Raven-The Pack Is Back
Savatage-Fight For The Rock
Celtic Frost-Cold Lake

They arent the type of stuff these bands usually do but as albums on there own i like them.If you try to put them up against other stuff these bands have done they're not good albums comparing them.

I also thought the Scorpions-Unbreakable was a good album.

I Thaught So Too i Have'nt Heard Savatage's Fight For the Rock But i Have Listened to Celtic Frost's Cold Lake and it Sounded Heavier Than Most Glam Albums That Were Being Released During That Time Period and Raven's The Pack is Back is a Very Compitent Glam/Pop Rock Album Yet Compared to Their NWOBHM Albums and One's Hafter it Yeah It's a Piece of Crap But Compared to Albums Like Def Leppard's Pyromania & Judas Priest's Turbo it's a ok Record

Another Record i Forgot to Mention Was Def Leppard's Slang That Album Left Me a Bad Taste in My Mouth

and Then Songs from the Sparkle Lounge Came Out and Was Pretty Much a One Way Street Some OK Songs But Still Sucked

Def Leppard Are Not a Real Metal Band Yet Their Early Works Were Great Like from 78 to 83 Were Good and Then Hysteria Came Out and Made The Most God Aweful Hit Pop Songs and Then from There On They Then Reinvented Themselfs as a Stupid Dumb Pop Band

ok i Hope i Got all the Disopointing Albums Out of My Chest

Bringer of Steel

After the first 3 discs of Raven (all of them really great), The Pack Is Back is really awful, they fall to the bottom
Savatage - Fight For The Rock: After Sirens and Power of the Night they lost the strenght of their music, lucky, with Hall of the Mountain King they come back in the greatness
King Diamond - Voodoo: I bought when I had 15 years old, in that times only I had money once in the month because I was in the school, so when I bought I thought that will be a great album, I was listened Mercyful Fate some time before and when I played... pfff... real dissapointed, that disc is really boring (LOA House is the only song that I like from that disc)
Chile (cl)

Topics Solved: 2

« Return to General Metal Discussions