Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Bandcamp Highlights Heavy Texas Bands
  • I think some of these bands could be of interest for some of you. Plus it's always great to see your local music scene receive any form of recognition.

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2018/04/23/texas-hard-rock-bands/

My blog: Texas Metal Powerhouse
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male 

Topics Solved: 5

Thanks for the link Phylo, i'm always on the lookout for new sounds & there are some great sounding bands featured here.
    Crypt Trip & Gypsy Sun Revival in particular sound like they're worthy of further investigation & any opportunity to hear Blues Funeral is, of course, always welcome.
    For some reason, despite having no llinks to the area, i always seem pre-disposed towards liking bands from Texas. More often than not they seem to possess an earthiness & an innate sense of tone and dynamics that sets them apart, and it seems like it's been that way since rock 'n' roll's inception. Long may it continue.
    To paraphrase Oz, turn the lone star upside down!

• 1 likes this
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

Blues Funeral are definitely on my musical radar after hearing a few of their songs. They're going to be opening for Captain Beyond sometime in June. The band Josefus (very old Texas band) is on that bill also. I don't go to many shows anymore but I think I might need to take my vitamins and head out for this one.

• 1 likes this

Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male 

Phylo wrote:Blues Funeral are definitely on my musical radar after hearing a few of their songs. They're going to be opening for Captain Beyond sometime in June. The band Josefus (very old Texas band) is on that bill also. I don't go to many shows anymore but I think I might need to take my vitamins and head out for this one.

Either Captain Beyond or Josefus on their own would be must-see gigs for me, but together?!! And with Blues Funeral on the bill too? I loved their first album. You're very fortunate to have the opportunity to see that show. Whereabouts is it? I have a friend in DFW who'd love to see that gig if it's nearby. Neck those multi-vits & be sure to file a gig report for us less fortunate souls who are unlikely to ever have the pleasure of seeing any of those bands.
    I'm green with envy ovah heah.
    (cheers1)
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

riptorn wrote:Either Captain Beyond or Josefus on their own would be must-see gigs for me, but together?!! And with Blues Funeral on the bill too? I loved their first album. You're very fortunate to have the opportunity to see that show. Whereabouts is it? I have a friend in DFW who'd love to see that gig if it's nearby. Neck those multi-vits & be sure to file a gig report for us less fortunate souls who are unlikely to ever have the pleasure of seeing any of those bands.
    I'm green with envy ovah heah.
    (cheers1)

The show is June 1st at White Oak Music Hall in Houston, Texas. I just watched the Hell's Heroes show there and it's a good venue. That show included Cirith Ungol, Helstar and Militia. Plus a ton of newer bands with a retro sound like Savage Master, Night Demon and Haunt. Midnight headlined the show and did a great job following those classic bands. Overall there were 13 bands playing that show for $20 tickets. A fantastic value.

Helstar played a ton of their early stuff and sounded great. They were by far the most proficient musicians on a stacked bill. Cirith Ungol sounded like Cirith Ungol. The vocals were a bit muddy but I've heard the songs a hundred times so I didn't feel let down. Militia's singer Mike Soliz was fantastic. I'm always in awe of these older singers who can still belt out a tune with high screams after all these years and still sound the same. The show was almost 8 hours long (with nowhere to sit) but my old bones held out to the end of the night and I had a great time.

https://www.whiteoakmusichall.com/

• 1 likes this

Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male 

Thanks for taking the time to reply Phylo, it's much appreciated.
    I'll definitely pass on the show details to my friend, but don't know if he'll make it as Fort Worth is quite a distance from Houston i think.
    Seems like everything in Texas is quite a distance from everywhere else in fact. Lol.
    That Hell's Heroes gig sounded like a helluva night. 13 bands for $20!?
    (eek)
    I fear Cirith Ungol is another one of those bands which i absolutely love that i'll never get to see live, but i'm so happy for them that they're getting to play again and see for themselves how beloved they are so many years after the fact. I doubt they'll ever be rich or famous, but it must be a truly satisfying vindication for them to see how much their music still means to so many people after they toiled away in utter obscurity for so many years.
    I'd love to hear new matrial from them, but if this turns out to be just a 'victory lap', then i can't think of any band more deserving of the long overdue attention.
    (speed)

• 1 likes this
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

riptorn wrote: I have a friend in DFW who'd love to see that gig if it's nearby.

I'm resurrecting this thread just because the guys who put on the first Hell's Heroes show are doing it again. The price went up to $27.50 but based on the last show it's well worth it. There are more bands being announced but this is looking like a really good start. You should give your friend the heads up so he can make plans.

April 13, 2019 at White Oak Music Hall (Houston, TX)

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/46457911_957067247796853_7995854969020350464_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=6e8b171674aa1663ebbf9f63bb151408&oe=5C64FF8C

Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male 

Phylo wrote:
    riptorn wrote: I have a friend in DFW who'd love to see that gig if it's nearby.

I'm resurrecting this thread just because the guys who put on the first Hell's Heroes show are doing it again. The price went up to $27.50 but based on the last show it's well worth it. There are more bands being announced but this is looking like a really good start. You should give your friend the heads up so he can make plans.

April 13, 2019 at White Oak Music Hall (Houston, TX)

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/46457911_957067247796853_7995854969020350464_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=6e8b171674aa1663ebbf9f63bb151408&oe=5C64FF8C

Thanks for the heads up about this Phylo, much appreciated.
    I'll let my friend know for sure, and with plenty of notice this time i think he'll likely make the 'pilgrimage'.
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

More bands added to the Hell's Heroes II... Power Trip, Haunt, and Oath of Cruelty! This is going to be an awesome show.

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/48059154_974190149417896_8497424260619304960_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_eui2=AeGAjdCtJbDdwgxIp3cU2mSVywH4sESUzj8fgfZ5Ti8zm5ld43g-zF9_tVexELhz2jEEdQnwHxlKWcrwmUREVDqyqkxEVKWmz3QcXOXtXHT0uw&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=b8c4dae21e7315da3fa2a65f313b6fab&oe=5CA8E8AB

Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male 

« Return to General Metal Discussions