Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Were Venom the most important band to come out of the NWOBHM?
Well, from my point of view, Venom, pretty much all by themselves, in those very early moments of the eighties, created Black Metal, Thrash Metal and Death Metal. It all stemmed directly from them. So my recognition and appreciation for them is endless. And I totally fucking love their music too.

Topics Solved: 0

I guess neither band really wanted to be tied up with N.W.O.B.H.M.-moniker, even if at least Iron Maiden were proud to be part of the movement, at least in the beginning. Venom always prefered to be labeled as "black metal", even if black metal as it is more commonly known is associated with later 90s bands with even more radical style. But yes, Venom were more into Motörhead-canp definitely!!! At least to me, they always sounded like combination on Motörhead and punk, which I guess they were made up of... Okey, they were into Judas Priest and Deep Purple etc, but they didn´t sound like either of them. Welcome To Hell still sounds fresh (and rash and raw!!!), at least measured on the energy-level.
Random avatar
Finland (fi) Male

StjarnlosBibelSvart wrote:Harder to tell about Bathory, due to Quorthon (pbuh) talking shit about pretty much everything.

I would be very surprised if Quorthon had never listened to Venom to some degree. I know he liked Motorhead, but his early music is so ahead of its time that it feels like there's some Venom in there.

StjarnlosBibelSvart wrote:Verdict ... ? I'd say Venom, because extreme metal is a more radical departure than Maiden-ish metal.

That's what I think! Anyway, it's nice to see this thread rumbling on a bit.
United Kingdom (uk) Male

I can never understand how anyone can listen to the first Bathory tracks and debut album, and not hear it is a stripped down version of Venom.
It has been years, but I used to be able to pick exact songs that seemed influenced or ripped off. Going to wing it here off the top of my head.

For example, the fast guitar and drum beat of VENOM's ''Lady Lust'' reminds me of Bathory's ''Hades''.
The way Quorthon sings ''Reaper'' reminds me of Cronos in ''Heaven's On Fire'';
and
very easy to imagine Bathory's "Sacrifice" could easily be a VENOM song from the Black Metal album.

• 1 likes this
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 328

canadaspaceman wrote:I can never understand how anyone can listen to the first Bathory tracks and debut album, and not hear it is a stripped down version of Venom.

Exactly! Quorthorn may have been extremely talented, but he did talk a load of rubbish at times. I'll never believe he never heard Venom!
United Kingdom (uk) Male

Well, Quorthon said he didn´t like Hellhammer/Celtic Frost (he called them Wimphammer/Celtic Compost), Destruction and bands as such... he liked Voivod later on.
Random avatar
Finland (fi) Male

Gary Gorham wrote:Well, Quorthon said he didn´t like Hellhammer/Celtic Frost (he called them Wimphammer/Celtic Compost), Destruction and bands as such... he liked Voivod later on.

Like we said, Quorthon could be full of s**t!

• 1 likes this
United Kingdom (uk) Male

I thought about making a separate topic for the following, but nah, so here!

Here is why Venom's live set was not included on the The Ultimate Revenge home video with Exodus & Slayer

https://metalinjection.net/av/thrash-at ... iGZ5QDED6Y

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/r ... venge-tour

What do you think of the Ultimate Revenge home video that came out with footage and interviews from the Studio 54 gig in New York?

Cronos:
"The Venom footage is actually from the UK. The only thing of Venom on the Ultimate Revenge video that came from Studio 54 was the interview and the [pyro] explosion. And the reason for that is because the guys who came down to shoot the show were supposed to pay the management because they were gonna release the VHS video. As you know, this is called the music business. And they refused to pay. They tried to say, “We’ll pay you after the show.” [Laughs] But we’re from England. We don’t fall for that one.

We sent everyone who talks like that to Australia many years ago—on a boat. But they didn’t think we’d be able to stop them, so we took the ax from next to the fire extinguisher and just chopped all their cables.
So they recorded Exodus and Slayer, but all they got of Venom was the bang.
Later on, Neat Records sold them a couple of songs from the show from England. [Laughs] Venom don’t like getting ripped off. Whether Exodus or Slayer got paid, I’ve no idea. But I very much doubt it.
It was a shame that the video doesn’t have Venom footage from Studio 54. We weren’t asking that much—they would’ve made ten times that off the video sales. So it was just greed."
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 328

Iron Maiden were, but Venom are surely top 3. Raven, Diamond Head and Saxon compete for the other place, all for different reasons. Venom pretty much created Thrash and later Black Metal. Surely they based their sound on Motorhead and KISS, but they pushed the limits of the genre.

• 1 likes this
Random avatar

Venom=>Hellhammer=>Whole Scandinavian BM scene

Venom=>Metallica=>Thrash Metal scene
Random avatar
United States (us) Male

My two cents: Most important? No, that honor goes to Iron Maiden but they were certainly influential. One could argue that Venom invented a new subgenre of metal although compared to Bathory and everything that came after those old Venom records almost sound like pub rock now.

How come no one is talking about Def Leppard? (hehe)

• 1 likes this
Netherlands (nl) Male 
Name: Robbert

One of the most important bands to shape the genre of heavier metal. Without question. Loud, fast, dirty, heavy. Chainsaw guitar dives, barbed wire vocals, runaway train drums, they had the lot.
Random avatar
United Kingdom (uk) Male
Name: Craig Storey

Descent wrote:Venom=>Hellhammer=>Whole Scandinavian BM scene

You say that as though it's a good thing.
(hehe) (hehe) (hehe) (hehe) (hehe)

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

Robbert wrote:My two cents: Most important? No, that honor goes to Iron Maiden but they were certainly influential. One could argue that Venom invented a new subgenre of metal although compared to Bathory and everything that came after those old Venom records almost sound like pub rock now.

How come no one is talking about Def Leppard? (hehe)

exactly!!!!! Its Iron Maiden

To me are Tygers of Pan Tang and Diamond Head \m/ \m/
Guatemala (gt) Male

Topics Solved: 28

This may interest you
Venom - Welcome To Hell
This is the exact antidote to Emerson, Lake & Palmer, but it's equally important to me. Of course it's pretty much the most primitive heavy metal album ever recorded, at least at the time, but that's exactly what clicked for me.
I discovered Discharge immediately after I discovered the first Venom single, and once we had heard the Venom single we couldn't wait for the album to be released, and in December 1981 we ran to the record store to get it. It's a life changing album. It made me dissolve my first band and form Hellhammer afterwards, and of course from there on the path of my life was pre-destined, and that's in large part down to Welcome To Hell.
And then came Venom, and they really didn't give a shit. They were just heavy and primitive, and again there was nothing that sounded like that at the time - when this album hit, you stood there in the record store with headphones on, and you looked at each other because you couldn't believe that you were hearing. 'One Thousand Days In Sodom' or 'Red Light Fever' or things like that. There was nothing like that - it was a breakthrough, it was the creation of extreme metal. For us it was like heroin.
I can't even sufficiently describe how iconic Venom was for us, how important.

Tom G. Warrior

I think about this a lot too. You have two sides really. Iron Maiden, Saxon, Judas Priest, etc. were more in line with what would become the current of "mainstream" 80s Heavy Metal that would lose popularity around 1991. VENOM laid the groundwork for the extreme metal movement that was largely underground in the 80s but would later emerge as "mainstream" during the 90s in the forms of Black and Death Metal.

EDIT: It appears VENOM are more polarizing than I had thought initially. Still I have to give them credit for their sheer balls and energy. The first three albums are heavy metal classics in my book and Tommy G. puts it perfectly: they were electric, raw, fast, and evil. It's obvious, without VENOM, there is no SLAYER, no POSSESSED, no HELLHAMMER, no CELTIC FROST, no SODOM, no DESTRUCTION, no KREATOR, DEFNITELY NO BATHORY ;) and the seemingly infinite bands they all influenced in one way or another.
Name: Tomas

Venom set the stage for the Black Metal movement in my book. The NWOBHM was so varied and it fragmented, in a good way, into so many different directions. The biggest disappointment in that genre for me was Def Leppard as they watered down their sound so much.

« Return to General Metal Discussions