Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Glamtera vs Pantera
Glamtera 1 - 0 Pantera ;)
Aya
Name: Acido

Topics Solved: 0

The ONLY Pantera song I like is "Down Below" from the "I Am The Night" album. But their 1st 2 albums are PATHETIC! "Power Metal" sucks. And every 90's album they did is shit. I HATE Pantera!!!!
Banned
United States (us) Male
Name: Mikael Vaalkoth

Topics Solved: 6

Surprised no-one has mentioned the first Pantera release, 1978's 'I Confess' 7".

http://s9.postimg.org/5zwjnfzrj/bella_18_638.jpg

(hehe)

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 93

Dude, that's not Pantera :P
Australia (au) Male
Name: Axle

I prefer the later stuff, actually. I really like the Power Metal album, but I think they continued to get better and better up through Great Southern Trendkill.
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) Male   
Name: Justin

First Pantera album I listened to is "Vulgar Display of Power". After hearing "A New Level" this song stuck in my head (even now the intro spooks in my head (metal2) ) The "Groove/Thrash" era is awesome sometimes, but sometimes mediocre.

BUT...

my favourite Pantera record is "Power Metal". I like every song on this record, and it's the only record I like everything about.
The other two are average Heavy/Glam albums. I can listen it twice and then I need something new.
Bringer of Steel
Germany (de) MaleYouTube 

Topics Solved: 4

Glamtera (Power Metal) 1 - 1 Pantera

Both are amazing.
Australia (au) Male
Name: Axle

Grew up in Dallas/Ft. Worth an early eighties metal kid.
Love early Venom/ Saxon/ Maiden/ Raven- NWOBHM, etc.
Saw Pantera probably 50 times before they signed to a major label at numerous bars clubs and venues.
"DIAMOND" Darrell was an INCREDIBLE player and performer always but I don't care much for the major label stuff.
It might be hard to understand for the young newer metal types but the Glamtera days were the best.
That fraudulent macho "WANNA BE A FUCKING TOUGH GUY" Phil Anselmo bullshit is pathetic, juvenile and embarrassing.
It's not a matter of Glam vs. Heavy stuff as much as it is a question of honesty and authenticity.
Pantera is a case of a Hard Rock Glam band capitalizing on and following the heavy trend pioneered by giants like Metallica/Slayer.
I have the original early records b4 they were signed on vinyl with autographs and shtuff if anybody is interested.
First two albums are pretty weak but "I Am the Night" has some damn good rockers on it along with some great guitar playing!!!

http://i.imgur.com/Pvv5emx.jpg
United States (us) Male
Name: CroManAba

I don't particularly care for either, but I'd pick Glamtera in a heartbeat. CFH onward is fake as fuck ca$h-in.

On the flipside of that though, that's really how the music industry is, you adapt and survive to be $ucce$$ful. They were able to change and ultimately make it. I respect that.

I actually saw whatever that band the Bros was in a couple weeks before Darrell got shot. The Haunted was on the bill and I was hanging with those guys. Man, Darrell was there for the fans. I watched these kids walk up and knock on the bus door and he came out and hung with those guys for like 20 mins riding their bikes and shit. It was pretty cool.

Vince, on the other hand, is a cuntbag. His band finished the set with a local drummer because he went back to the bus with 2 strippers and they couldn't get him to come back. Vince talks a lot of shit, but he really doesn't give a fuck about anyone but himself IMO.
Random avatar
United States (us) Male

m5570 wrote:I don't particularly care for either, but I'd pick Glamtera in a heartbeat. CFH onward is fake as fuck ca$h-in.

On the flipside of that though, that's really how the music industry is, you adapt and survive to be $ucce$$ful. They were able to change and ultimately make it. I respect that.

I actually saw whatever that band the Bros was in a couple weeks before Darrell got shot. The Haunted was on the bill and I was hanging with those guys. Man, Darrell was there for the fans. I watched these kids walk up and knock on the bus door and he came out and hung with those guys for like 20 mins riding their bikes and shit. It was pretty cool.

Vince, on the other hand, is a cuntbag. His band finished the set with a local drummer because he went back to the bus with 2 strippers and they couldn't get him to come back. Vince talks a lot of shit, but he really doesn't give a fuck about anyone but himself IMO.

I shouldn't feel compelled to even discuss this at my age but Darrell really was like that- he treated me the same way when I was 14 or 15 and met him in a local record store when they were trying to promote the release of "Projects in the Jungle". I didn't know who they were and he sat and talked with me like we knew each other. I didn't care much for the music of Pantera/Damageplan but a buddy of mine also played in the latter band as well so I have always kind of been around this stuff being from Texas. Anyway, let the shit talking continue...
United States (us) Male
Name: CroManAba

That's good to hear that Darrell was a regular guy and cool.

It is ALWAYS a nice surprise when you are hanging outside of whatever concert, (or record store), just shooting the shit with a stranger about bands and demo tapes or albums,
and the next thing you know is you see him/her onstage!
but you thought they were just another fellow fan that was attending.
:D

Not going to say who some of them were, because of what happened next.

Another fan will recognize them and goes bananas and treats them like a superstar rock god, so the band member gets annoyed by this, that they can't be treated like a regular person and leaves.

But I hardly ever attend shows anymore, so what do I know?
Maybe bands these days expect that "idol" status and fans kissing their ass?
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 330

Very Hard.........I also grew up in DFW and have known these guys from their early days and seen them live so many times its hard to count or in many cases remember the night after the partying, but those guys have never changed in my opinion. I have seen them treat fans they have never met before as members of the Pantera family. Just great guys (All 4). That also goes for Terry as well.

However the I lean more towards the Post-Glamtera era because it was what metal needed at the time. Metal music needed a band to step forward and take charge and move the pop/country/grunge genres out of the way and make the metal genre take its place back on top. Pantera did that and have influenced some of the better metal bands today.
Random avatar
United States (us) Male

Power Metal album or go home.
United States (us) Male

Glamtera were so much fun!

- Leatherwolf \m/
United States (us) Male 
Name: Randy Raven

I didn't realize this thread was a thing, Glamtera all the way. It's a huge shame the band hides from their glam releases. Power Metal is an utterly fantastic album, it gives me vibes of a Metallica/Megadeth blend with a glam tinge. Very fun record.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 16

Both. I like a few songs on Metal Magic and I immensely enjoy albums Projects in the Jungle and Power Metal. The last song in the latter is the best on that album in my opinion ("pussy tight, tonight, pussy tight, alright" haha).

I also love Cowboys from Hell, Far Beyond Driven and (to a lesser extent) The Great Southern Trendkill. Vulgar Display of Power and Reinventing the Steel were crap though. Phil's macho posturings on CFH and FBD were tolerable but on VDOP is truly pitiful and pathetic. IMHO, Dime and Vinnie should have replaced him with some other vocalist and continued on with the Pantera name and resumed the musical direction they left off in CFH (instead of the hardcore meets Exhorder bullshit of VDOP) but I digress.
Philippines (ph) Male

riptorn wrote:Surprised no-one has mentioned the first Pantera release, 1978's 'I Confess' 7".

http://s9.postimg.org/5zwjnfzrj/bella_18_638.jpg

(hehe)

That made my day :D .

Anyhow, i want to be fair and square as possible .
I didn't like it a second when they switched over to what they did in the Ninties .
(Actully hated it, no offence to anyone .)
Sure Glam can be atrocious, but this is one of those many cases where it doesn't .

Just to bad that their First record goes for insane prices (nope) .
Guess that is what happens to bands that make a switch like this

I mean .... Ahem (hehe1)
Netherlands (nl) Male
Name: T

Topics Solved: 1

First 4 albums. I'm not interested in others.
Bringer of Steel

Topics Solved: 65

nileblackflame wrote:Glam era for sure. Never did get into Groove..

Me too. And I prefer Terry Glaze over Phil Anselmo as a singer.
it's a chosen way of life!"
Brazil (br) Male 
Name: Daniel

Glam...tera? Maybe.
Korea, Republic of (kr) Male  YouTube 

« Return to General Metal Discussions