Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Warrior Soul
Was wanting to know if anyone else rocked this album 'Last Decade Dead Century' and what they thought of it.I really liked it because I wasn't liking the grunge stuff coming out but this album caught me by ear and is not my style of music but I give it a 10/10 for lyrics,originality and just all around being good I played it everyday all day for years and still give it alot of play still

Topics Solved: 0

Loved Warrior Soul then & still do.
Was lucky enough to see them live 5 or 6 times and they were always fantastic.

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 93

That debut album was on repeat at The Record Peddler store it seemed like for months or a year. Good thing I liked it! Liked it a Lot!
The clean, high piercing singing reminded me of Frank Dimino of ANGEL, (but nobody else knew who I was talking about).
Great hooks and lyrics. Second LP was ok, but I never followed their career.
Too bad Kory Clarke's vocals are totally shot now (if you have heard any of the concert recordings with TROUBLE, then you know).
He seems to have the same passion/ enthusiasm, but it is shocking to hear him instead with gravelly, sandpaper vocals as if he was Fred Sanford.

• 1 likes this
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 327

canadaspaceman wrote:That debut album was on repeat at The Record Peddler store it seemed like for months or a year. Good thing I liked it! Liked it a Lot!
The clean, high piercing singing reminded me of Frank Dimino of ANGEL, (but nobody else knew who I was talking about).
Great hooks and lyrics. Second LP was ok, but I never followed their career.
Too bad Kory Clarke's vocals are totally shot now (if you have heard any of the concert recordings with TROUBLE, then you know).
He seems to have the same passion/ enthusiasm, but it is shocking to hear him instead with gravelly, sandpaper vocals as if he was Fred Sanford.

Man, I saw Cory and his band alive and kicking at Six Dogs Club Monastiraki 10 December of 2015 ...
Cory was amazing, fucking awesome.
He came on stage with an almost empty bottle of (cheers2) tequila ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnxhYyX-5aI

And Yes the first LP is perfect.
Acid punk/metal, a definition made especially for WARRIOR SOUL.
Name: Sarissoforos

Topics Solved: 9

Whilst the years of touring, drinking, smoking & snorting coke have undoubtedly affected his voice, onstage Kory remains the most compelling frontman you're ever likely to see. I've never seen him phone in a performance like so many of his peers do at times, he always gives his all & i take my hat off to him for it. Unlike so many of my one-time heroes, Warrior Soul never short-changed me when i bought a ticket to see them.

Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Awesome comments my friends ;) Just as i expected.Love to hear more comments so feel free to drop one

Warrior Soul - Rock 'N' Roll Disease
new album out now.
new song sounds good with Kory Clarke.'s gravelly singing.
https://youtu.be/Xtrkv2fsi1g
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Anything new from this band?

MNL wrote:Anything new from this band?

They put out a live record last year 'Tough As Fuck : Live In Athens', and dropped a new studio record 'Rock 'n' Roll Disease' this summer. They spent the year on tour, first in Europe then to the States, played a few European festivals & just finished a UK tour last week. They just don't stop for breath.

Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Loved the first record. Too bad Kory wanted to be punk after that. Didn't work.
Netherlands (nl) Male 
Name: Robbert

Robbert wrote:Loved the first record. Too bad Kory wanted to be punk after that. Didn't work.

The guy who did my tattoos in 1990/91 was from Detroit (and eventually moved back there), said Kory originally WAS a punk rocker when he lived there.
It shows in the lyrics for that debut album.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_Soul
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

canadaspaceman wrote:
Robbert wrote:Loved the first record. Too bad Kory wanted to be punk after that. Didn't work.

The guy who did my tattoos in 1990/91 was from Detroit (and eventually moved back there), said Kory originally WAS a punk rocker when he lived there.

You're probably right. Still, that debut album was quite unique and original, for a hard rock record. On later records I thought he/they started to sound a bit too much like Stooges/Dolls/MC5-wannabees. Tons of bands who do that stuff better.
Netherlands (nl) Male 

Robbert wrote:
canadaspaceman wrote:

You're probably right. Still, that debut album was quite unique and original, for a hard rock record. On later records I thought he/they started to sound a bit too much like Stooges/Dolls/MC5-wannabees. Tons of bands who do that stuff better.

Musically, the first 3 albums are all in more or less the same style. If you haven't already done so give 'Drugs, God & The New Republic' & 'Salutations From The Ghetto Nation' a proper listen. Even 'Chill Pill', their 4th LP, has more in common with that sound than the later stuff, though it's a bit more arty/abstract/pretentious depending on your point of view. They only really went the punkier route on their 5th, 'Space Age Playboys' (and thereafter), and by then it was a totally different band with only Kory & Pete remaining from the first 4 records.
Yeah, Kory started out playing punk, first as a drummer in the band L7 (the Detroit band), and later on as a singer in The Trial, but he was never really a neat fit in any of those genre boxes. After all this is the guy who also sang with doom legends Trouble and played drums with Southern Rock wannabees Raging Slab.
Quite a CV. (hehe)
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

i keep forgetting to mention this.
There was a cheezy / crappy rock-horror movie from the early 1980s, and the singing and some songs sound exactly like Kory from the debut album.

The band looked like KISS but played power-pop like Cheap Trick.
Now it will take me a long time to figure out what it was called...
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

riptorn wrote:
Musically, the first 3 albums are all in more or less the same style. If you haven't already done so give 'Drugs, God & The New Republic' & 'Salutations From The Ghetto Nation' a proper listen. Even 'Chill Pill', their 4th LP, has more in common with that sound than the later stuff, though it's a bit more arty/abstract/pretentious depending on your point of view. They only really went the punkier route on their 5th, 'Space Age Playboys' (and thereafter), and by then it was a totally different band with only Kory & Pete remaining from the first 4 records.
Yeah, Kory started out playing punk, first as a drummer in the band L7 (the Detroit band), and later on as a singer in The Trial, but he was never really a neat fit in any of those genre boxes. After all this is the guy who also sang with doom legends Trouble and played drums with Southern Rock wannabees Raging Slab.
Quite a CV. (hehe)

My memory is probably a bit blurry on that part. I remember hearing 'The Wasteland' and their take on Joy Division and not liking it. Guess I was into other stuff by then and ignored them until I came across the 'punk' stuff.

I also forgot he was in Trouble for a while. Stupid because I actually saw them (Trouble with Kory that is), with Pentagram and The Devil's Blood at the 013 in Tilburg (The Netherlands). It was a bit of weird mix, Trouble's riffage with Kory's glammy look and mannerisms, but not bad at all. His voice actually fit the material well.

My apologies, I feel dumb.
Netherlands (nl) Male 

Robbert wrote:
riptorn wrote:
Quite a CV. (hehe)

My memory is probably a bit blurry on that part. I remember hearing 'The Wasteland' and their take on Joy Division and not liking it. Guess I was into other stuff by then and ignored them until I came across the 'punk' stuff.

I also forgot he was in Trouble for a while. Stupid because I actually saw them (Trouble with Kory that is), with Pentagram and The Devil's Blood at the 013 in Tilburg (The Netherlands). It was a bit of weird mix, Trouble's riffage with Kory's glammy look and mannerisms, but not bad at all. His voice actually fit the material well.

My apologies, I feel dumb.

Lol, absolutely no apologies required Robbert, i have more & more memory malfunctions with every passing day.
(HM2)
I can absolute;y understand you forming the impression you did if your only exposure to 'Drugs, God...' was through 'The Wasteland' & 'Interzone', but the rest of that album is actually very much like their debut stylistically. Try 'Jump For Joy' below as a song that's more represenatative of the album as a whole.
And Pentagram, Trouble & The Devil's Blood all on the same bill? Now, that's a cool package. (eek)

Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Thought you fellow Warrior Soul fans would appreciate seeing this show which i happened across recently.
It's the (briefly) reformed Clarke/Ricco/McLanahan/Evans line up in 2000 (around the time of the 'Classics' album) live in London. They're on fine form & unusually for London, the crowd is totally up for getting down.
It's the only show i know of where this line up plays songs from the 'Space Age Playboys' era, and is one of the last shows Mark Evans played with them before his murder five years later (R.I.P.).
See the promotion thread for news of the forthcoming new WS album. (:D)

Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

« Return to General Metal Discussions