Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Finnish Heavy Metal Scene Between 1975-1989 - How Did It Evolve?
  • I wrote this piece of an article and not sure where to share it. It's not actually a "review" but what the hell.
    It probably has some errors, not enough descriptive writing style, and bad english.

But if you can tolerate it take a look :-)
    I wrote it to present finnish early heavy metal wave and it's evolutiuon since not much has been written of it (and perhaps rightfully so). Has loads of links to Youtube and such so you might even discover something new (hopefully).

Check it out here:
    http://www.heavymetalblogspot.com/2012/11/finnish-heavy-metal-scene-between-1975.html
    Blog domain changed, new address to post:
    http://www.kultmetal.com/2012/11/finnis ... -1975.html

PS. it's rather massive for one post. (facepalm)
    Name: Tane Norther

Topics Solved: 0

Good write-up! First time I heard of Finnish HM was actually the video of Motorillinut (Kimmo Kuusniemi).
    FORUM MOD!
    Name: Nico

Topics Solved: 49

Just got Moottorlinnut-CD!!! It´s heavy stuff, quite like Sarcofagus- but not quite!!! (hehe)
     Male

Thank you very much - good work, man !
    My first finnish Metal Record was OZ - Fire in the Brain (still my favorite).
    RIFF RAFF - Give the dead man some water is also very good, completly underrated.
    The first STRATOVARIUS Record is an absolute Killer - you can't compare it to the later releases which were quite cheesy...
    I also like the first ANTIDOTE Album but it's a difficult mix of styles, not pure 80ties metal.

Topics Solved: 2

Glad you enjoyed checking the article. My favorite is perhaps OZ, but Sarcofagus comes quite close. Fire in The Brain (which usually held the best of all) hasn't been my number one favorite from OZ, weirdly, but it has grown to be equal to III Warning, Turn The Cross Upside Down, and Decibel Storm. Still, III Warning holds spot #1 for me. Heavy Metal Heroes on the other hand is so bad compared to anything else of theirs.

I actually snubbed whole finnish 80s scene for long, even though in finnish myself. But looking it again bit later there's some good stuff, although not as interesting overall than say German, Swedish, or Greek 80s scene.. :-)

Just got Moottorlinnut-CD!!! It´s heavy stuff, quite like Sarcofagus- but not quite!!!

American Samoa (as) FemaleFemale
    Name: GeorgeWashington

Interesting article I think Norway and Finland were way behind Sweden in the 80's

Heavy Metal 80 wrote:Interesting article I think Norway and Finland were way behind Sweden in the 80's

I can only agree about that even as a finn :) It's true. Not that there were quite much more bands in Sweden in the 80s, especially before the late 80s, sweden was also 'averagely' true to heavy metal while finns seemed to have more rock influences and then turning into extreme metal like thrash and death etc. Of course, it's only my view.

Norway I don't know that well, but might be interesting to check out too. Only name I can think quickly from Norway is Artch.

Amazing article!! thanks a lot for your hard work!
    Name: Ash

Topics Solved: 10

LOGIN / REGISTER TO BE ABLE TO COMMENT ON POSTS + VOTE TO SEE HIDDEN LINKS

« Return to General Metal Discussions