Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Pharaoh bury the light, opinions?
Pharaoh bury the light IMO is the best album so far 2012, very addictive, with a huge nostalgic value to NWOBHM fans. I'm not a pro at music and i don't have the knowledge to evaluate the technical complexity and value and all that shit, but i can tell when i'm in presence of a great work, specially in metal, and this is without a doubt a great work, so if you like the NWOBHM and power and heavy metal as a whole you should check this one out, their first albums where great and the singer and founder of the band, Tim Aymar, saw action side by side with evil Chuck Schuldiner himself in his side project control denied (which was also a great album) so i hope i ignited your curiosity if you don't know about this album and this band already, do your ears a great favor and give it a listen, you won't curse me for this, maybe for the long ass post, but not for the recommendation.

Name: Edgar

Topics Solved: 0

Pharoah is a very cool band. I've met their guitarist Matt Johnson several times, at shows and festivals - he is a good photographer and writer as well as guitar-player. In fact, the first few times I met him, I didn't even know he played - this was well before Pharoah. Anyway, I've always like this band, though I actually prefer their earlier albums with the "sweeter" MAIDENy harmonies. The new album didn't really hit me hard on first listen, but I plan to listen to it more. HAIL!

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel

Topics Solved: 18

Quite an anecdote witchcross, i actually like this one better than "after the fire", even though after the fire is one of my favorite songs of all times, i think this is the best pharaoh out to date, they always had a unique sound, and with bury the light they actually managed to turn it into a trademark, it's like NWOBHM with modern power metal, i don't know, it has always been very appealing to me for some reason. Hail witchcross. (cheers1)
Name: Edgar

Brilliant guitar playing and outstanding artwork.
Random avatar

Pharaoh are one of those rare bands who are able to mould their exceptional high instrumental skills into compact songs. So while there are lots of changes on the instrumental level the song itself "flows organically". I mean, it's not just lots of parts and breaks line-up after one another, it's more like a mosaic, where tiny bits form a greater picture. Along with Tim's powerful, yet melodic voice, this the trademark of Pharaohs music, and although the albums differ from one another in details, I do not prefer one to another, but enjoy each of them.
Germany (de) MaleYouTube 
Name: Martin

Topics Solved: 8

« Return to General Metal Discussions