Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Cliff Burton - 30 years gone
  • Cliff Burton - 30 years gone today

Just wanna say thinking of Cliff today.
    hard to believe it was 30 years ago.
    I was lucky enough to have met him the night before the very first concert I ever seen and am glad to say he was a pure gentleman

RIP Cliff.
    http://img.wallpaperfolder.com/f/489BF340D402/top-best-metallica-albums.jpg
    Ireland (ie) Male
    Name: Deckie

Topics Solved: 0

R.I.P. Cliff...
    Name: Ilya

Topics Solved: 2

Cliff.... What if it wasn't only that Cliff who died 30 years ago (in 1986) ?

Anybody here remember 1970s/1980s Marvel Comics had a series called "What If...?" with pretty far out plotlines?
    Re-imaginings of their regular series characters?

I was looking at this thread, and never thought about it until now.

What if ALL of Metallica had died in that dreadful bus crash?
    so, that would mean...
    No Jason Newsted joining / no garage days re-revisited mini LP / no commercial album ("the black album") / no Load / no James every year getting worse and worse with more yeahmen/loogan-like "oh! yeah! ahhh, heh heh, yeah yeah yeah's !!" and all that shit.

All I can think of right now is that Megadeth would probably have been the biggest band in the world instead, like what Metallica became.

How different would the thrash metal scene have been? or exactly the same?
    Would black metal and death metal conquered the underground even sooner?

I almost never make threads like this.
    Don't worry, will not be making new topics as I am busy, trying to make my beard grow faster, drinking, watching dumb TV shows + movies, etc, , but thought I would encourage you to post in the General Metal Discussions.
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 327

hey! watch the show Homeland, it's pretty good
    Romania (ro) Male
    Name: Richard

Topics Solved: 9

inflames42 wrote:hey! watch the show Homeland, it's pretty good

just googled... Claire Danes is in it?! va-va-va-voom !
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male 

I think you're right, Megadeth would have gone straight to the top. It's a very interesting thought, it certainly would have changed the metal landscape drastically.
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
    Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 16

I remember hearing about it and I was not shocked or anything, as i already was used to hearing about dead people, eg. friends of the family, John Lennon, etc.

One thing that will always stick out is this...after HERO OF THE DAY was released as a single, the band was asked what Cliff would have said, and they said something like 'it would have been a stretch'.
    BUT to me it seemed like a pure Cliff song, cuz he was just as rock n roll as he was metal.
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male 

This was back in the pre-News 24 / instant updates / Internet days ... so I didn't hear about it for a week. It happened on a Saturday and it wasn't until listening to the Friday Rock Show the following week did I hear about it. Then the following week's Kerrang! magazine was full of it, But we went a full week without knowing.

It was mad as me and the same friend that met Cliff with me were listening to the radio together that night and we were still on a high from the Metallica/Anthrax gig (our first gig ever) a few weeks earlier and from meeting Cliff and Anthrax the night before (... Cliff sitting at a table in the lobby of the Gresham Hotel, Dublin with Scott, Charlie, Frank, Dan & Joey (And some road crew guys). I walked straight over to Cliff's seat and asked for his Autograph. He heard my Northern Irish accent (Donegal) and asked me 'Hey Man, Where's your Gun?' I then asked all the Anthrax boys for their autographs (So did my friend... but he proceeded to also ask the roadies for their autographs too... and everyone pissed themselves laughing at that. I then asked Cliff what song are they opening with tomorrow and he said battery. I then Stood there like a muppet right beside Cliff for what seemed like 20 mins and said NOTHING. It was probably way less but I was Tongue-Tied and in Awe so it felt like a LONG time. Cliff and the Anthrax boys were so polite to us and didn't tell us to clear off. They even tried to include us in conversations.

I was 15 years old and was on a high from meeting my hero. and the fact that he was super cool to us (and didn't tell us to f*** off like any normal person would do) meant so much to me. Even now 30 years later I am still buzzing. We've all met loads of stars etc since and could barely care either way now, But that being my first brush with a hero meant the world to me...

Anyway - RIP Cliff

• 2 likes this
    Ireland (ie) Male
    Name: Deckie

Topics Solved: 0

The day Metallica died. He is greatly missed.
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 7

« Return to General Metal Discussions