Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » BUY CD/LP
I still buy CDs. I only use mp3s for checking bands out, or if the original release is impossible to find or out of my price range.
DMR
United States (us) Male 

Topics Solved: 0

I still buy cds sometimes but not too often. I have a lot of cds (old guy) from over the years so I buy a lot less music than I used to. I only download mp3s for rare or out of print stuff, demos, things like that.
Random avatar
 Male

I'm still bying cd's because i'm a crazy collectioner of cd's. And cd hunting is best thing
for me ( beer and whisky also (viking)
I posted some of my new arrivals here in according topic.
Almost are originals or russian official license.
In the past i bought some dozens of greeks bootlegs - just because hadn't opportunity to hear that music by other source and originals were not possible to find .
Now i still buying bootlegs " made in russia " for about 3 usd per cd - just for information .
Later i always buy original editions of albums which i like. And trying to find japan editions of best of them .
I used Mp3 of new albums just for " buy or don't buy " . Or for collecting my cd's on HDD
when sailing. Or for things which never were issued on cd at all.

I will always buy a physical Release (If I can find it in my price range or at a local store). I mostly buy Cassettesand vinyls I just like them better.
I like to have a booklet/inserts/cover to look at when playing my releases. You miss the displaying the great album artwork.
You will never be able to have a unique Vinyl press or a shaped CD.
I lot of MP3 that are not made by professionals are of bad quality compared to the original Release.
and buying mp3 are the worst way to support a band you like (unless the band self-released them) due to have cheap they are.

I will never buy mp3s
FORUM MOD!
R.I.P. 1996 - 2016
United States (us) MaleYouTube  

Topics Solved: 3

I dont think youll find people here who only collect mp3 (hehe)

I'll buy old releases on vinyl and new releases on cd. Dont collect cassettes.

I mostly buy on vinyl. I still try plenty of things on MP3 and try to track down waht I like on record if it exists and if its affordable. I pick up CDs occassionally, but thats limited to what I find in second had store usually. As has been mentioned already, I prefer the big artwork on a vinyl sleeve also.
Random avatar
 Male

Topics Solved: 1

If I can find the release and is "affordable" I buy it. My last purchase was the limited box-set of Virgin Steele's Black Light Bacchanalia and it WAS expensive!
I only download mp3 if I can't find the original ones or just to listen to the release and then but the original.
killing is our way of keeping alive

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cRu7JHjuWJs/TDjp8cRrInI/AAAAAAAAIGg/kIyZwi76NFc/s400/105_logo.gif
 FemaleFemale

I mostly buy on vinyl (my collection has over 8000 vinyls and about 10000 cds). I "collect" mp3 only for checking of trying out some artists/bands i never heard about. If something's good i surely will add it to my collection.
Random avatar
 Male
Name: Pantelis

Pantelis_A wrote:my collection has over 8000 vinyls and about 10000 cds

Holy shit!
DMR
United States (us) Male 

DMR wrote:I still buy CDs. I only use mp3s for checking bands out, or if the original release is impossible to find or out of my price range.

THIS. And use MP3's to hold me over until I find it on CD at a decent price.
United States (us) Male

I still buy CDs, but much less than in the past. I have so much great old classics to listen to, it's hard to find room for new ones. But if something is great, I will buy it. Just bought the new RIOT for instance, and love it. And I'll always buy from my favorite bands, MAIDEN, PRIEST, GAMMA RAY, etc ...
Bringer of Steel

Topics Solved: 18

I am 46 years old and still buy cds and lps,i often go to shops,fairs and flea market(and of course internet) to buy used and new records...i use mp3 for demos or bootlegs or for rare(and very expensive)old lps...
Name: Marco

Topics Solved: 70

I also buy vinyl and cds regularly, but I avoid spending money on bootlegs. I don't download that much, only rare demos and rare high priced lps or cds. If there is a rerelease iplanned, I support it and buy it when it's released.
Germany (de) Male

Topics Solved: 8

Definitely! I don't know if I would call myself a "collector", but I try to buy as much stuff on a physical format as I can. Love the experience of searching through a box of LPs in a store and finding a record that i've been looking for, or one that just has some savage looking cover art and turns out to be great. Love the huge album artwork of an LP, and reading liner notes, looking at the pictures, etc. And the great sound and vinyl crackle. CD's are slightly less satisfying, not to mention the shitness of smashed cases and stuff, but I still buy a fair few of them too. I actually don't know how to download anything anyway (apart from this site, which I had to get my brother to teach me how to do because I am an idiot)

Postage rates for shipping stuff to Australia totally suck though, and I definitely don't have a money tree, so i'm gonna be eternally grateful that I found this site and got MP3's of some rad stuff I would never have had otherwise. Thanks so much!

• 1 likes this
Australia (au) FemaleFemale
Name: Laura

hello, who have cds metal bands from brazil?
Random avatar
Brazil (br) Male
Name: marcelo

marcelometal wrote:hello, who have cds metal bands from brazil?

! Strappado wrote:
(off) THAT'S TOTALLY UNRELATED TO THE TOPIC
Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1420

I do buy also -- how much depends of financial situation though. MP3's are good for making compilation CD's to the car..
I think that if you buy albums and download rare albums, both, it's definitely ok -- if your downloading does not affect the way you buy albums anyway, then who loses? Feel free to disagree.

I think it like this: you watch few Black Adder season on TV. Then bit later you realize that it kicked ass, so you buy Seasons 1,2,3 on DVD although you've mostly seen them already -- cause you liked them. Perhaps crappy example..

Anyway it's a different case if you hardly ever buy anything.

I often also don't like to buy "a pig in a sack", I rather want to know if the album's good enough to earn the support. Either that or if it's collectible.

Giving a review to album is always a little something you can do also. Helps both fans (hopefully :D) and the band (unless the album sucked that is)..
Name: Tane Norther

I Buy a Lot of Stuff on CD and Less on Vinyl Couse the Record Store in Reno Called Recycled Records Gets a Bunch of Glam Stuff But i Find Gems Hidden in the Place Have'nt Been Back Couse Money Isues But i Also Download to Just Only to Check 'em Out Some Times i Burn 'em to CD But if i Find a Physical Copy and If It's Affordable i Then Pick it Up and Buy it and Listen to it till it Starts Ringing in My Brain and Stays Ringing in My Brain and If It's Vinyl i Go Home and Rip it Right off the Bat

http://i.imgur.com/oQTbd.png
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) MaleYouTube 
Name: Ben Smith

Topics Solved: 16

I love to find stuff in the record store but I gotta say there is a TON of bands I never would have heard of whose albums I would buy should I come across them now thanks to this board and some other places. I can appreciate the view that artists need to make money but still the fact that you can hear all the unique regional bands from around the world is a very special thing and I really value the uploading community around here for showing me the way to bands like Heavy Load and OZ, along with comps and sweet unknowns (to me) bands like Neurodeliri

i also buy and collect Cds and LPs but even after i buy i mostly just listen to the their mp3 format since its easier for me working on the computer or playing most of the time but i still like to order cd and lps since in Cyprus there is absolutely no shops where you can find metal merchandise except for like some maiden and Metallica album that's why i love hellion records online shop and some Greek stores as well

If Any Of My Links Are Dead PM Me And I Will Upload It Again
Bringer of Steel
Cyprus (cy) Male
Name: Michalis

Topics Solved: 13

« Return to General Metal Discussions

« Previous topic | Next topic »