Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » AC/DC with Axl Rose
Just a random discussion, how do you guys feel about this whole AC/DC with Axl Rose thing?

I'm actually enjoying it to my own surprise, you take it for what it is, them fulfilling their remaining tour dates due to Brian's hearing problems sidelining him. He most certainly wasn't my first choice as a stand-in vocalist, and as much as Axl Rose is a total idiot, he's done a very nice job, surprisingly, hitting notes Brian hasn't hit in decades, and they're collectively sounding pretty good together overall. This whole thing is pretty weird, but I'm definitely game to see where they end up going with it.

FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 16

I was one of those guys who questioned if Guns N' Rose was any good when their debut LP "Appetite for Destruction" was released.
(There is nothing easier to make a metalhead / rocker hate a band, then hearing the SAME song everyday on the radio and TV!)

After a long time, finally heard the entire album, and knew there was more to them than one or two pop songs.
Axl's voice was a big part of them being unique.

Yes, been curious what Axl would sound like with AC/DC, as there is always somebody complaining his voice is terrible, but they are liars.
Probably just people that like to be negative instead of being honest.

I am one of those that liked GNR's "Chinese Democracy" album, and didn't join the bandwagon of haters.
(just never got around to entering a record store and buying it yet.
If Axl can be lazy enough to take more than 10 years to release it, I can take an even longer time to buy it!) (=P)

So, from what I hear, everything sounds really good with AC/DC now, as if he was Brian Johnson from the early 1980s,
and not the Brian Johnson of the last 20 years whose voice is pretty much shot.

Looks like the complete concert has been shared from the front row.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 327

Can someone explain why Axl is in a wheelchair onstage? lol

I never liked Axl Rose or GnR. Not my kinda music. And just can't get this whole Axl fronting AC/DC wrapped around my head. It feels fake and just for attention. AC/DC should simply end their run. That's just my opinion.
Banned
United States (us) Male
Name: Mikael Vaalkoth

Topics Solved: 6

vaalkoth wrote:Can someone explain why Axl is in a wheelchair onstage? lol

I never liked Axl Rose or GnR. Not my kinda music. And just can't get this whole Axl fronting AC/DC wrapped around my head. It feels fake and just for attention. AC/DC should simply end their run. That's just my opinion.

He busted his foot, then borrowed Dave Grohl's rock throne until he recovers. A very unique/strange scenario, really.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 16

I've been pleasantly surprised by what i've heard of the Axl/AC/DC collaboration, fair play to the guy for stepping up to do this & doing a pretty great job. Those are not easy songs to sing.
Most interesting to me is that he has enabled the band to play stuff from the back catalogue that was beyond Brian's Johnson's range in recent years, thereby giving the set list a much needed shake up.
Great to hear stuff like 'Rock'n'Roll Damnation' & 'Riff Raff' played live again for the first time in a long time.
On recordings of the Lisbon soundcheck/rehearsals they even dusted off 'Dog Eat Dog', so there may potentially be even more surprises in the set as the tour goes on.
I still doubt that Axl will be able to keep the more extreme elements of his personality in check long enough to make this any more than a short term collaboration, but from what i've heard i'd certainly be interested in hearing what they could do in a recording studio together.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

AC/DC is a of few mainstream bands that I appreciate. Sincerely, on my opinion is a disaster to AC/DC. Axl's vocal appear a hen. I also never liked this Guns Roses band.
Banned
Brazil (br) Male
Name: Pelu

Topics Solved: 62

I'm a hardcore DC fan when I first heard that axl was doing this I was the first to bash them lol. I really didnt think it would work but when all was said and done I think rose did an amazing job. A lot better than I thought he could b
Random avatar
United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 0

I haven't followed AC/DC that closely for the last decade or so. Growing up in Aus in the 70's and 80's AC/DC, and many of the other bands that grew up together in the Aussie pub scene, were a staple. We'd see pub gigs every Friday or Saturday night and AC/DC was just one of them. Accepting Brian was a little difficult at first but it happened, however I never saw Axl as a replacement only a fill-in so I never had to accept the change the same way as Brain. I don't dislike what Axl did with AC/DC but having seen AC/DC go from a pub band playing to 200-300 people to sold out stadiums I just kind of expect them to keep soldiering on no matter what circumstances pop up. Although I do suspect things will slow down now that Malcolm has gone.

Topics Solved: 0

canadaspaceman wrote:Yes, been curious what Axl would sound like with AC/DC, as there is always somebody complaining his voice is terrible, but they are liars.
Probably just people that like to be negative instead of being honest.

Axl's voice is not terrible at all, haters are! (whip) (horse)
His voice was and still is excellent, i.m.h.o., althought I did appreciate it more in the early '90s, for obvious reasons...
NO Zippyshare, thanx...
Bringer of Steel
Italy (it) MaleYouTube 
Name: Tony

Topics Solved: 200

I like both bands
Guatemala (gt) Male

Topics Solved: 23

« Return to General Metal Discussions