Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Who's got this new book about NWOBHM?
Looking through Amazon just came across this relatively new book on NWOBHM. Anyone bought it already? What's your impressions?

"New Wave of British Heavy Metal: The Bands of the NWOBHM (1978-1982)" by Bruce Leighton, Eddie Taylor
(Paperback – November 17, 2015)

http://www.amazon.com/New-Wave-British- ... 1519376197
Name: Kirill

Topics Solved: 27

Didnt have the chance to read it but talking about NWOBHM you should definitely listen to Roxxcaliburs album paying tribute to NWOBHM Legends!!

Topics Solved: 0

First - i don't like bands performing covers.
Second - from what i did read on the index this is just another book. Just the bigger names featured.
Not featured almost no bands who only recorded 7''s or 12''s or were featured on Compilations.
Even lesser - bands who only recorded demos.

For now there isn't still a book who can beat The NWOBHM Encyclopedia of McMillan even with several errors and stuff on vinyl not featured yet there.
And needing a update with the demo-tapes for sure.

Topics Solved: 19

Why you don't like covers? this is a serious question i mean, i totally dig Liege Lord's Kill the king cover for example and they even began being a judas priest cover band.. i was a big fan of a local Thin lizzy cover band and they were absolutely awesome and most of the members were in other thrash metal bands.

In a record that's alright. But i don't like live to listen tribute or covers bands.
They are just stealing others ideas.
Leave the "old classics" alone !!! And play instead your own compositions.
I hate specially those guys from Roxxcalibur. The same who played with Chris Logue to give life to a parody to Savage Grace.

• 1 likes this

I don't really know what you mean about stealing other ideas, people know that they are covering songs and for me it's okay. Not particulary THAT good but fairly good, i'd totally play covers with my band.

Just like new bands do for example Skull Fist.

They are really just paying tribute to the bands that they are covering. I'm sure the original bands, themselves, don't mind, because the covers of the songs give the original bands and their recordings exposure. Some of the original versions of the NWOBHM songs have been buried for aeons for everyone except maybe members in the metal press or on this blog, and new recordings will encourage some listeners to seek out the original recordings and bands.
United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 14

Skull Fist - not band for me. Trendy band.
The bands that are active and i support - Solstice, Ironsword, Atlantean Kodex, Ravensire, Argus, Convixion, Wrathblade, Sacral Rage, Doomsword, Magister Templi, Hundred, Terminus, Graven Rite, Eternal Champion etc - all these are non-retro bands.

I simply hate retro bands like Skull Fist, Enforcer, Sign Of The Jackal and all these new kids bands.

Leave the old school Metal for the still few old school good bands around like Manilla Road, Jag Panzer, Heir Apparent, Lethal, Medieval Steel, Blitzkrieg, Slough Feg, Slauter Xstroyes, Brocas Helm (GODZ !!!!!!!!!!!) - just to name a few.

As i said - i don't like new bands playing songs of the old gods.
And i don't like reunion shows.
Don't like bands who were done by the labels (Ghost - the biggest example i know)
Don't like trendy bands ripping off the same old ideas played by Maiden or Priest (mostly).
When you rehearse leave your influences outside and push your head and let the true metal feeling inside your heart to get out. If you don't have it - leave it !!!!

« Return to General Metal Discussions