Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Pinch Harmonics/Squeals
I only recently realized that a lot of music that I like has pinch harmonics on the main riff. Now that I've noticed it I'm becoming focused on hearing it in every song I listen to. Zakk Wylde and Dimebag Darrel are without doubt the kings of pinch harmonics but plenty of bands use it sparingly to accent a riff.

What are some of your favorite songs with pinch harmonics?

My blog: Texas Metal Powerhouse
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) Male 

Topics Solved: 5

Hate it.
Hate It.
Hate It.
Every time i hear that it makes me think of the worst of '90's Metal.
Although i was amused to learn that there's a drinking game where all participants take a swig whenever a pinch harmonic rears it's ugly head in a song.
Would be utterly pointless if listening to anything Zakk Wylde recorded, you'd be paraletic by the second track.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

Hahaha I knew I would be hard pressed to find any fans of the technique on this board but it's use across so many different genres and so many musicians means that some of you might like it. When Brad Gillis played on Ozzy's Speak of the Devil album, he used pinch harmonics in his versions of the Sabbath tunes. Jake E. Lee uses lots of squeals on the Bark at the Moon. So it's not exclusive to the 90's nu-metal bands but I get where you're coming from.

Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) uses the technique quite nicely on the solo to La Grange

My blog: Texas Metal Powerhouse
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) Male 

Topics Solved: 5

I like pinch harmonics, and a major reason i went nuts for Ozzy Osbourne's "No Rest For The Wicked" album when it was released.
Nobody wanted some guy to come along and copy/ripoff Randy Rhoads, and so, Zakk Wylde did it his way.
At the time it was really needed with that style to inject some action / energy into regular radio hard rock/heavy metal.

I can't name any other records off the top of my head I like using it , but I got no problem with any bands that use the technique.
Even if used "too much" !
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 327

I'm afraid the rampant pinch overkill of Zakk Wylde, Dimebag & any number of Nu-Metal bands pretty much ruined the technique for me, however you cited a couple of examples that i do quite like (Danzig & ZZ Top), so maybe i am guilty of generalising.
Billy Gibbons always seems to do something creative & interesting with the technique, often using it to create a weird dissonance in his riffs or solos, from 'La Grange' all the way up to 'Gotsa Get Paid', so with that in mind, maybe it's the one-trick-pony overuse & lack of imagination in the use of the technique that i dislike rather than the sound itself.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

The two guitarists I most associate with pinch harmonics are Jake E. Lee, who Phylo referred to above, but I think he tended to use them in solos rather than the main riffs; and John Sykes, most obviously on Cold Sweat, but also with Blue Murder. This is the track that sprang to mind when i thought of pinch harmonics as part of a main riff:
 Male

Topics Solved: 3

« Return to General Metal Discussions

« Previous topic | Next topic »