Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Raw or "Professional" ?
Do you like / love -
Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love, or, Dr. Feelgood ?
Metallica - Kill Em All, or, the Black Album ?
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers, or , Undercover of The Night ?

anybody see what I am saying?

My opinion is debut albums almost always are the BEST product of every band,
otherwise they would not have been asked to make one.
Am i correct or am I erect?

Yeah, these days, anybody can make a record if they have money or the right connects.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 327

I agree, and yeah there's a few exceptions, for example mid era Pantera was their height; Power Metal and Cowboys from Hell era. Another one, in my opinion modern Stratovarius is putting out the best music they've ever released (if only by a little bit over the early stuff).
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 16

Without discussing production values and whether a person enjoys that sound, a band's first album is usually the result of years worth of songwriting with the band winnowing out any songs deemed not good enough for their debut album. Then for the second album a band is expected to produce as many songs within a much shorter period without the chance to mine a depth of material. That's the dreaded sophomore slump.

A few bands overcome the slump and go on to create great albums that are considered their classic album. A few that come to mind... Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest. Not an overly large selection of bands but that's the nature of talent. If everybody had it, then nobody would want it.

My blog: Texas Metal Powerhouse
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) Male 

Topics Solved: 5

Man, I used to hate stuff that sounded like it was recorded in a closet. I couldn't understand why anyone would intentionally record something bad, like a lot of black metal. Nowadays though, I cannot listen to the overproduced stuff that's coming out. The overcompression and "perfect" guitar tones... It sounds so phony. I likes it raw, now. It just sounds genuine, and more importantly, in the moment. The overproduction that these kids' bands have on their recordings just doesn't feel dangerous (I guess, for a lack of a better word). I love how bands like Sarcofago, Venom, or so many of the NWOBHM bands originally sounded. It felt like they just had to get it recorded no matter what. Does this make any sense?
United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 0

Raw. As a demo lover, the sound is always better raw. When they clean up the sound, it sometimes really destroys what the band was doing. A great example is the Defiance "Hypothermia" demo. Love the sound of the band. Then I bought the "Product of Society" album. Doesn't even sound close.
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 7

« Return to General Metal Discussions

« Previous topic | Next topic »