Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Are you Metal only ?
  • no judgment here.
    That is how I lived much of my life, but the older I get, the more I like to listen to what my parents liked on the "oldies" radio station.
    For example,
    One tavern I used to frequent in the early 2000's, the waitresses knew I was there, because I was the only guy to play Patsy Cline (country) on the jukebox.

Even with a lot of downloads, and owning tapes, records, and CD's of metal, I still like the plain old rock'n'roll music.

My next "fad" if it happens might be discovering the worldwide Phenomenon of Elvis, and Beatles-clone bands. (this will lead to the Misfits! , lol)
    It would be a surprise maybe if they knew their musical heroes were into some obtuse stuff ( Johnny Cash, Ricky Nelson, David Allan Coe, etc)

or jump back to the real thread - What are you listening to?
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 328

I'm only 21, but everyone says I should have grown up in the 80's. I don't know why, but the era's music as a whole just appeals to me in almost every aspect. I like a bit of everything though aside from metal. Punk from all eras, hard rock, a little pop, classic rock, jazz, indie rock, folk rock, *classic* country (Cash, Waylon Jennings, etc.), and thanks to my uncle I actually like quite a bit of the 60's and early 70's stuff too, the Mamas and the Papas, The Zombies, Carly Simon and stuff like that. I should try Elvis sometime, you don't sell half a billion albums without huge talent.

• 1 likes this
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
    Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 16

I'm 37 years old and I think music is a mode of universal expression. It's a good thing being able to enjoy different styles of music and then put the focus on the quality and singularity of compositions. I like thrash metal a lot, for example, but sometimes I like to listen hardcore-punk, 80's punk, 70's rock, folk... even electronics. I only hate the lacks of originality or poor emotional expression, specially singing. For example, I think there is too lack of originality in the "new wave of thrash", I think that new bands influenced by classic thrash bands should create their own style, but almost all of them are a exact repetition of the 80's thrash. It's a pity.
    Portugal (pt) Male

Topics Solved: 0

I love a lot of anachronic music, like metal, I love music that takes me back in time :) medieval music, 1920's and 1930's blues, old-time music (bluegrass, appalachian music), 1950's rock 'n' roll, british invasion (the animals, beatles, rolling stones, the kinks), folk (bob dylan, joan baez), 1970's progressive rock, hard rock, 1980's hardcore punk/d-beat/uk82, neofolk/martial ambient, and very very little of grunge and 90's rock. I am a fan and collector of rare music, I want to share with you my collection, but I don't know if it's inconvenient to share some not-metal things here

My last discover (neofolk) :

Bringer of Steel
    Colombia (co) Male YouTube  
    Name: Infernvs

Topics Solved: 5

Cool thread!

I've never been orthodox metal. This attitude I think is normal stupid.
    I always just listened to everything I liked. Of course I have a metal heart, but I also like a good Disco (Chic, Donna Summer, Belle Epoque). In my youth, my Metal friends could not understand how I can listen to Slayer, and in a moment Abba;) I like House Music (especially from the 80s), Trip Hop (i love Massive Attack!) And many other electronic sounds. I love Jazz (big bands of Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Count Basie, free jazz, fusion jazz, everything swings), Soul/Funk (Isaac Hayes, Marvin Gaye, James Brown) Blues, Rock N 'Roll, Reggae/Dub, good Pop, Punk Hardcore ... and so on.
    So, as you canadaspaceman I love The Beatles (I always say that without them there would be nothing) and Elvis and a whole lot of the magnificent rock bands from The Animals to Pearl Jam.
    Oh, there's so much great music that not enough life to make it all fit in the ears, head and heart ....

\m/
    zig
    Bringer of Steel
    Poland (pl) Male
    Name: zig

Topics Solved: 2

BelphegorPepe wrote: I am a fan and collector of rare music, I want to share with you my collection, but I don't know if it's inconvenient to share some not-metal things here

Not at all, there's an uploading thread specifically for that. I'm going to be posting something there at some point this week myself, so if there's some non-metal stuff you really want to share there, by all means feel free. It seems there's stuff there like various other forms of rock; whether it's folk, instrumental or southern.
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
    Name: Tachi Ikoma

When someone ask me what music I like, I always give the same answer: I'm a eclectic guy.
    I listen to many musical genres and artists, from Accept to Akon. Ed Bruce to Sarcófago. From Chemical Brothers to Snoop Dogg. From Rick Astley to Gustav Holst. From David Bowie to Cindy Lauper... the list is massive.

Some friends think I'm insane when they see my CD/Vinyl collection, and my massive HD, with almost 200GB of music. And the fun fact is that I'm "only" 20 years old, and I never had ANY musical influence from my father or childhood friends.

If I ever reborn someday, I want to remember all the music I learned so far! (sword)

• 1 likes this
    FORUM MOD!
    Brazil (br) Male 
    Name: Mauro

Topics Solved: 9

Metal mainly with doom and traditional being the favs (like some bands in just about all subgenres except Nu) but also lots of punk (UK82, 77 Lots of 80's hardcore with Finnish and Japanese stuff top), outlaw country, Nick Cave, Fields of the Nephilim, Irish folk...some jazz and blues and classical...

• 1 likes this
    Random avatar

I have my own "guilty pleasures" since i would dig traditional heavy metal 95% of the times, i'd go into some 80s pop music, i must say i really like 80s female pop singers like Kim Wilde and Laura Branigan, since i don't really like modern rock music because i think they use a lot of synths and sample drum beats.. i like a couple of records by Muse (in some tracks they have a similarity with 80s Rush) and The Black Keys, i won't say i "LOVE" them but some of their songs are enjoyable and i'd buy that record some day.

• 1 likes this

I used to be like that in younger days, made sure I listened to only metal. Now though I listen to every kind of music, I think it's good to be diverse and keep an open mind. In the last few days I have listened to johnny winter, muddy waters, billy joel, christmas music (oldies) some country and yes metal!

• 1 likes this
    Random avatar
    Canada (ca) Male

Topics Solved: 1

zig wrote:
    Of course I have a metal heart, but I also like a good Disco (Chic, Donna Summer, Belle Epoque). In my youth, my Metal friends could not understand how I can listen to Slayer, and in a moment Abba;)

\m/

Yes! I am not the only one after all. I have to admit that old Disco music is one of my biggest guilty pleasures. It was so reviled by Rock fans back in the day though so I felt it was a little unusual for me to enjoy both Metal and Disco. It is the same with me, my girlfriend finds it strange how I can be listening to metal one moment and then a Disco compilation the next. Oh well, I guess its out there now.

• 1 likes this
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

I like 80's heavy, power and speed metal the most, but also doom, melodic and other variations of the genre. Obviously I also like rock n' roll, prog, psych, folk rock, etc. A bit strange is I listen less frequently some old euro dance house techno, 90's cheesy and catchy pop tunes when outside and radio station can't be changed, and the very good minimal synth wave too. Even stranger (lol) is it that I also like religious music (noting that I'm an anti-theistic atheist) like that of the crusaders, medieval, ambient, relax music, the gregorian chant is very good, I also like the kind of kitaro, vollenweider and vangelis. But all in all, by far I listen to metal for the euphoric state it brings upon, and because it is the running music for excellence, it is able to let you be motivated for hours feeling like Pheidippides the messenger who announced a victory over persians to Athens. I don't know, this kind of music makes you feel like a warrior, like none is better than you and, to be honest, to forget mistakes comitted in the past that cannot change and only time will cure, you just have to wait. The sports, metal and a laconic state for determination in the work being done go hand in hand.

• 1 likes this

Topics Solved: 1

I just added a topic in which you can look at the music of Black Sabbath, with slightly different page;)
    viewtopic.php?f=118&t=22865&view=unread#unread
    zig
    Bringer of Steel
    Poland (pl) Male
    Name: zig

Topics Solved: 2

Well as I grow old (only numbers if you ask me :) ) i appriciate all genres of music, I never was a head through a wall metalhead, but favourited metal music. I think every genre has it's best representatives, from techno, rock, etno, or disco to name a few.
    My compilation is always made by unpairable genres, from frank sinatra, through pestilence and boney m. :)
    Croatia (hr) Male

As Lemmy said once... "there is just 2 kinds of music: the one you like and the one you don't"

Metal, Blues, Jazz, Rock, Folk, Country or even Pop. I don't care at all as long as it has fucking soul in it.

• 1 likes this
    Random avatar
    Austria (at)

I love heavy metal and its various styles (doom, death, black, epic/power, thrash, groove, etc.) but I also listen to other genres: hip hop by Three 6 Mafia, Bone Thugs N Harmony, Eazy-E, BG Knoccout and Dresta, Westside Connection; rock n roll by Elvis; 60s rock music by the Beatles (the songs Sexy Sadie, Happiness is a Warm Gun and Free as a Bird are such awesome songs); grunge by Nirvana (Kurt is a fucking genius, listen to the songs Sappy and Heart Shaped Box for example); hardcore by Hatebreed, Agnostic Front; punk rock by the Sex Pistols; grindcore by Terrorizer, early Napalm Death; nu metal by Korn, Sevendust, System of a Down, Godsmack; hard rock by Guns n Roses (Use Your Illusion I and II are such underrated hard rock classics), ACDC, Led Zeppelin, the Eagles; pop music (Michael Jackson, Weird Al Yankovic), anime and movie soundtracks etc; I could go on.

Its like, your favorite food is spaghetti but you can't always have spaghetti 3 times a day (with the exception of pussy and alcohol; you couldn't have too much of those, hehe, just jokin')
    Philippines (ph) Male

Besides Metal I listen to classical music, folk music and rock bands from the 60s and 70s, mostly.
    it's a chosen way of life!"
    Brazil (br) Male 
    Name: Daniel

I'm 45 years old. My dad had the Animals, Stones, BTO, Boston, ELO, and a ton other bands on vinyl and 8-track, which I came to appreciate growing up. I also really liked his vinyl copies of Iron Butterfly, Faces, and Gary Glitter. I know that there was a seminal hatred towards disco among metal fans in the early 80s, but I have a certain appreciation for it, now. It was catchy. It really takes you back to a great time when people were just having fun. I mean the disco balls and disco-techs really made the 70s quite special in hindsight. Also, at least the music was positive, and wasn't as depressing as 90s grunge.

I have a ton of classic rock on a hard drive, but my actual collection of vinyl, CDs, and cassettes are all metal. Many of the guys that I know in their 50s and 60s usually tell me how impressed they are with my knowledge of 60s bands and 70s classic rock. They say they are especially impressed, because I'm a metal fan. I always had a preference for bands that were dangerous like the Godz, or had the dichotomy of a glammy look with an attitude like the New York Dolls. Basically, bands that brought something new to the table. I know that people will consider this sacrilegious, but I always thought the Beatles were overrated. It was basically because they were the first to come over, and their appearance on Ed Sullivan closed the deal. But basically, if you look at the song writing, it is rather primitive. Other bands were sporting better song writing skills at the time. I mean, how many times can a band repeat, "Can't Buy Me Love" or "Let It Be" in song lyrics and get away with it. If any other band were to do it, the songs would be decried as garbage. However, when it is the Beatles, it's considered brilliant and high art. I actually think John Lennon's solo work was better than the Beatles' material. I'll take the Stones' catalogue any day over the Beatles.

It's just my opinion. (cool)

• 2 likes this
    United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 14

Nah, not "metal only"....just "metal a lot". HAHA!

I love The Beatles, U2, King's X, Kansas, Heart, Duran Duran...

• 2 likes this
    United States (us) Male 
    Name: Shawn Pelata

Yeah, I'm "metal only", and I'm proud of that. Apart from some classic hard rock, I'm just not that interested in other non-metal music. I find that I'm more musically diverse in metal, unlike a majority of today's "metalheads".

• 2 likes this
    United States (us) Male 

« Return to General Metal Discussions