Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » NWOBHM covers
  • 2
  • I'd like hear from you guys a few good suggestions of NWOBHM songs covered by other metal bands.

    Thanks in advance!

    (listenmu4)
    User avatar
    France (fr) Male
    Status:Offline
    Rank: Chasing the Storm
    Posts: 33

    Reputation: 15
    Topics Solved: 0

    How about The Hookers?
    They've recorded several nifty NWoBHM covers:
    Two Wheels (Centurion)
    Out Of My Head (Raw Deal)
    Riding With The Angels (Samson)
    The Mugger (Shock Treatment)
    also the Hookers side project Dragon's Kiss does a cover of 'Somewhere Up In The Mountains' by Marquis De Sade too.

    http://s4.postimg.org/6cd4p4qa5/10956938_10153397363784954_8501958149598550611_n.jpg

    THE HOOKERS

    • 2 likes this
    User avatar
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 
    Status:Offline
    Rank: Bringer of Steel
    Location: Ecosse
    Posts: 1500

    Reputation: 30681
    Topics Solved: 92


    If all those Venom/Maiden cover-compilations and Metallica garage-days doesn't count, then the first one which immediately comes to my mind is great SODOM's take on "Don't Walk Away" by Tank.
    Also their teutonic power bruders GAMMA RAY with "Heavy Metal Mania" by Holocaust.
    And Roxxcalibur who are pure NWOBHM cover-band.

    • 1 likes this
    _________________________
    >>>>> bandärløg.bandcamp.com <<<<<
    User avatar
    Russia (ru) Male
    Status:Offline
    Name: Kirill
    Rank: Stronger Than Evil
    Location: Moscow
    Posts: 193

    Reputation: 3341
    Topics Solved: 27


    A new Canadian band called Axxion covered the Black Axe/Wolf song "Highway Rider"

    • 2 likes this
    _________________________
    http://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/282586811048656896/765769009340612608/0c8e25af-7612-4a30-a344-9d4f7315ef67.jpg
    User avatar
    United States (us) Male 
    Status:Offline
    Name: Tomas
    Rank: Chasing the Storm
    Location: Hebron, KY
    Posts: 39

    Reputation: 41
    Topics Solved: 0


    A few I've dug lately:

    Wild Witch - Rock Me To The Limit (Tokyo Blade)
    Night Demon - Lightening to the Nations (Diamond Head)
    Lucifer - Loser (Angel Witch)


    and an oldy but goodie:

    Heretic - Riding with the Angels (Samson (well Russ Ballard originally but I think they got it from the Samson version))

    • 2 likes this
    Random avatar
    Status:Offline
    Rank: Chasing the Storm
    Posts: 32

    Reputation: 11
    Topics Solved: 0


    Thanks guys for the suggestions, i'll look into them.

    Keep them coming, especially the more obscure covers.
    User avatar
    France (fr) Male
    Status:Offline
    Rank: Chasing the Storm
    Posts: 33

    Reputation: 15
    Topics Solved: 0


    Couple of good Witchfinder General covers:

    Northwinds - Friends of Hell
    Upwards of Endtime - Burning a Sinner (appears a backward playing hidden track on their eponymous album)
    User avatar
    France (fr) Male
    Status:Offline
    Rank: Chasing the Storm
    Posts: 33

    Reputation: 15
    Topics Solved: 0


    I can't think of any, but unsure i really want to hear covers because the originals are so good.
    recently started listing to Vardis a lot, and doubt cover songs would ever be as cool.

    It was interesting to hear Metallica do covers, like their "Garage Inc" release , or when SODOM covered the rare b-side of Tank's "Don't Walk Away".
    User avatar
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male 
    Status:Offline
    Rank: FORUM MOD!
    Location: Ontario
    Posts: 3741

    Reputation: 83723
    Topics Solved: 327


    matweev wrote:If all those Venom/Maiden cover-compilations and Metallica garage-days doesn't count, then the first one which immediately comes to my mind is great SODOM's take on "Don't Walk Away" by Tank.
    Also their teutonic power bruders GAMMA RAY with "Heavy Metal Mania" by Holocaust.
    And Roxxcalibur who are pure NWOBHM cover-band.


    Gamma Ray does a good job with HMM, thanks!
    User avatar
    France (fr) Male
    Status:Offline
    Rank: Chasing the Storm
    Posts: 33

    Reputation: 15
    Topics Solved: 0


    canadaspaceman wrote:I can't think of any, but unsure i really want to hear covers because the originals are so good.
    recently started listing to Vardis a lot, and doubt cover songs would ever be as cool.

    It was interesting to hear Metallica do covers, like their "Garage Inc" release , or when SODOM covered the rare b-side of Tank's "Don't Walk Away".


    Yeah, not all covers are good. But sometimes it's fun to hear a new take on an old song. For example, I think Metallica does a great job on Iron Maiden's Remember Tomorrow.
    User avatar
    France (fr) Male
    Status:Offline
    Rank: Chasing the Storm
    Posts: 33

    Reputation: 15
    Topics Solved: 0


    I just remembered Blind Guardian covered Trial By Fire.

    Also


    • 1 likes this
    _________________________
    http://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/282586811048656896/765769009340612608/0c8e25af-7612-4a30-a344-9d4f7315ef67.jpg
    User avatar
    United States (us) Male 
    Status:Offline
    Name: Tomas
    Rank: Chasing the Storm
    Location: Hebron, KY
    Posts: 39

    Reputation: 41
    Topics Solved: 0


    Mantis502 wrote:I just remembered Blind Guardian covered Trial By Fire.

    Also


    Didn't realize that Sentinel Beast had a female lead signer, pretty good stuff!
    User avatar
    France (fr) Male
    Status:Offline
    Rank: Chasing the Storm
    Posts: 33

    Reputation: 15
    Topics Solved: 0


    Keeping with IM covers... Hey I can like death metal when it's an instrumental:

    http://youtu.be/lWHNdJUmpBc
    User avatar
    France (fr) Male
    Status:Offline
    Rank: Chasing the Storm
    Posts: 33

    Reputation: 15
    Topics Solved: 0


    riptorn wrote:How about The Hookers?
    They've recorded several nifty NWoBHM covers:
    Two Wheels (Centurion)
    Out Of My Head (Raw Deal)
    Riding With The Angels (Samson)
    The Mugger (Shock Treatment)
    also the Hookers side project Dragon's Kiss does a cover of 'Somewhere Up In The Mountains' by Marquis De Sade too.

    http://s4.postimg.org/6cd4p4qa5/10956938_10153397363784954_8501958149598550611_n.jpg

    THE HOOKERS


    I like Out of my Head, thanks!
    User avatar
    France (fr) Male
    Status:Offline
    Rank: Chasing the Storm
    Posts: 33

    Reputation: 15
    Topics Solved: 0


    A death metal band from the USA called Infinifixion did this pretty killer cover of Phantom of the Opera too. If you like melodic death metal, you should definitely check out their demos.
    _________________________
    http://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/282586811048656896/765769009340612608/0c8e25af-7612-4a30-a344-9d4f7315ef67.jpg
    User avatar
    United States (us) Male 
    Status:Offline
    Name: Tomas
    Rank: Chasing the Storm
    Location: Hebron, KY
    Posts: 39

    Reputation: 41
    Topics Solved: 0


    Gamma Ray also covers Holocaust's Death or Glory admirably!
    User avatar
    France (fr) Male
    Status:Offline
    Rank: Chasing the Storm
    Posts: 33

    Reputation: 15
    Topics Solved: 0


    Mantis502 wrote:A death metal band from the USA called Infinifixion did this pretty killer cover of Phantom of the Opera too. If you like melodic death metal, you should definitely check out their demos.


    No death metal for me. Cookie Monster ''signing'' PotO kinda kills it for me. (hehe)
    User avatar
    France (fr) Male
    Status:Offline
    Rank: Chasing the Storm
    Posts: 33

    Reputation: 15
    Topics Solved: 0


    Holy Grail covered Judas Priest's Exciter and Accept's Fast as a Shark.



    _________________________
    I'm interested in any and all Texas metal from the 70's - 90's. Message me if you post anything from Texas.


    My blog: Texas Metal Powerhouse
    User avatar
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male 
    Status:Offline
    Rank: Bringer of Steel
    Location: Houston, Texas
    Posts: 188

    Reputation: 2088
    Topics Solved: 5


    White Wizzard - Gates of Gehenna (Cloven Hoof cover)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDg15qf-sQA
    User avatar
    France (fr) Male
    Status:Offline
    Rank: Chasing the Storm
    Posts: 33

    Reputation: 15
    Topics Solved: 0


    Phylo wrote:Holy Grail covered Judas Priest's Exciter and Accept's Fast as a Shark.


    Thanks, but neither qualifies as NWoBHM IMHO.
    User avatar
    France (fr) Male
    Status:Offline
    Rank: Chasing the Storm
    Posts: 33

    Reputation: 15
    Topics Solved: 0


    « Return to General Metal Discussions



    Related Topics  Author   Replies   Views 
    related Album Covers - Crap Album Covers

    STONE91

    135

    8959

    related Martin Popoff's NWOBHM Book SMOKIN’ VALVES: A Headbanger’s Guide to 900 NWOBHM Records

    ksp

    0

    432

    related trade tapes w/covers

    federico7979

    0

    836

    related Favorite metal album covers ?

    Clofs

    16

    2389

    related Missing master CDr or tape/ Covers only/ Can someone help?

    gabalgabow

    7

    1256

    related DIY album covers for lives and boots that don't have them

    subcide

    4

    992

    related [SOLVED] [REQS] Tyrant (Ger) - Mean Machine (1984) [LP Covers]

    calguer

    4

    669


    « Previous topic | Next topic »

    Who is online
    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest