Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Suggestions on Rock music
Someone asked for some '70's Southern Rock recommendations a few posts ago.
Here are a few of my lesser known favourites from that style and era.
Hope you like 'em.

ULTRA : Mutants (1977) from the album "Ultra"

HYDRA : Land Of Money (1975) from the album "Land Of Money"

POINT BLANK : Moving (1976) from the album "Point Blank"

BLACKFOOT : Left Turn On A Red Light (1979) from the album "Strikes"

POTLIQUOR - You're No Good (1971) from the album "First Taste"

DOC HOLLIDAY : Lonesome Guitar (1988) from the album "Song For The Outlaw : Live"

NITZINGER : Hero Of The War (1971) from the album "Nitzinger"

SOUTHERN CROSS BAND : Outlaw (Josey Wales) (1982) from the 7" "Lady Killer" (Promo)

BLACKHORSE : Fox Huntin' (1979) from the album "Blackhorse"

THE OUTLAWS : Green Grass & High Tides (1975) from the album "The Outlaws"
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 149

Thanks for sharing your knowledge about the matter, riptorn.

I hadn't actually heard anything related to southern rock except for Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blackfoot or Molly Hatchet
until you posted these, and to be honest I hadn't expected too much from the genre (although I liked what I heard,
seemed to me like the kind of genre that starts to sound limited as time passes).

Nevertheless...thanks for proving me wrong >:)
Love those lax Hendrix-like solos and that lone cowboy riding through the desert feel; throughout a good compilation
you've made here; I've liked them all at the first hear so I can't really pick a favourite.

##Off topic##
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
And this next question is off the topic, but does someone know if there's been a non-metal worth noting good sounding genre or unique
sounding band in the time between years 80 until now?
I've been lately hearing the diverse sounds of between years 65-75 and comparing what I like from there with what I like from 80-13
and something I've noted is the first period is full of different genres and musical experiments I've enjoyed, whilst the second period
is pitch black for me except for metal.

So, taking this is Rock music recommendations, I'd like if someone could recommend me a non-metal rock band or genre or album
that could be good enough as to be considered some kind of a modern rock classic (not refering with modern to a popular modern sound,
something that would probably mean it'd have lots of today's pop/rap/techno influences [hell, NO!]). What I mean is just rock from this period of time
that isn't easily classifiable in a genre but that hasn't taken influences from some corporation's waste products; a rock sound that'd seem to
have taken the rock's evolution relay just when it was suppossed to start rotting.

To that respect, I've only heard bands "Brutus" and "Danava" but they sound as a unique sounding band taken from the early 70s
rather than some kind of new thing.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
##Off topic##
Spain (es) Male

Topics Solved: 1

Here is some non-english rock bands from Poland.

Lady Pank - Mała Lady Punk (1982)

Oddział Zamknięty - To Tylko Pech (1984)

Azyl P - Praca i Dom (1986)

Budka Suflera - Memu Miastu Na Do Widzenia (1981)

Brygada Kryzys - Centrala (1982)

Fatum - Mania Szybkości (1988)

Lombard - Droga Pani z TV (1983)

Mech - Czy to Możliwe (1983)

Non Iron - Brat Wielkiej Biedy (1989)

Perfect - Ale Wkoło Jest Wesoło (1981)

Syndia - Cenniejsze Płótno od Ram (1991)

T.Love - Autobusy i Tramwaje

Zanderhaus - Zanderhaus (1997)

• 1 likes this
Random avatar

Topics Solved: 3

Bruce10 wrote:Thanks for sharing your knowledge about the matter, riptorn.
I hadn't actually heard anything related to southern rock except for Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blackfoot or Molly Hatchet
until you posted these, and to be honest I hadn't expected too much from the genre (although I liked what I heard,
seemed to me like the kind of genre that starts to sound limited as time passes).
Nevertheless...thanks for proving me wrong >:)
Love those lax Hendrix-like solos and that lone cowboy riding through the desert feel; throughout a good compilation
you've made here; I've liked them all at the first hear so I can't really pick a favourite.

Glad you enjoyed the Southern Rock selection Bruce.
There's a wealth of great undiscovered music from that genre/era that deserves to be better known.
I'd tailored my post to focus on songs/bands from the heavier end of the spectrum, but their is real depth and variety within the genre for those with wider musical tastes.
I can't say as i hear your "lax Hendrix" comparison in the playing, but nevertheless i'm sure he was an important influence alongside The Stones, The Beatles, Cream & Free.
There's always a noticeable blues edge to the bands, and often a little country to a greater or lesser degree too.
I actually see a lot of parrallels between the worlds of Hard Rock/Metal & Southern Rock.
Both are primarily Blues-based musical forms, often riff-reliant, with a fondness for twin harmony guitar parts and an epic feel. Vocally, you're likely to find a gritty soulful delivery often allied to down-to-earth everyman lyrics, or epic or historical themes.
Historically both have been predominantly played by working class musicians to audiences from similar backgrounds, and both forms were seen as rebel/outsider/outlaw music at their inception.
I see more similarities than differences really, at least during their golden eras.
I tend to look at the two genres as "blood relations", brothers or cousins at least.
:)
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Check out this one here, just upload it on my channel

http://youtu.be/BSFLO8PUmTA
Mik
Bringer of Steel
Name: Mik

Topics Solved: 8

Many thanks fo your sharing too, nctr. Those bands are not really the kind of music that makes me feel fulfilled
but they do definitely have that time traveling feeling to them that nevertheless makes me enjoy 'em somehow. Appreciated
your contribution on some of Poland's music history from which I don't really know much about and your help enlightening a bitty
what was happening out of metal or the totally mainstream music after year 80.

And thanks for another lesson, riptorn; I'm kinda getting lost between so much good music coming from every time, one way or another, and that serves me as a good presentation to a genre I'm not still into.

Checked out the single, Mik. Sounds good to me, but I'm too lost in time right now to keep it in context,
so I'll leave the proper reviewing to someone else who's feeling more like it ;D.
Spain (es) Male

anyone like BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION? One of the more recent bands putting out some great rock n'roll.
Random avatar

Topics Solved: 0

IronBloodBlasphemy wrote:anyone like BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION? One of the more recent bands putting out some great rock n'roll.

:O! Is that really a hammond there or just something that emulates it at times? Thanks for adding another one IronBloodBlasphemy!
Spain (es) Male

• 1 likes this

jimme wrote:

Good call Jimme! One of my favourite albums, with so much musical variety.
Their 2nd album, 'In The Garden', is similarly strong all the way through, whilst 'Antithesis' & 'Open The Gates' have some good moments, but are moving in a more commercial radio friendly direction with shorter songs & more straight forward arrangements.
If you enjoy Gypsy, you'd probably find BANCHEE to your liking as well.
Here's the opening track from their 2nd album 'Thinkin':

BANCHEE - John Doe

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIj2ihKlXWI [/yt]

Both their albums are favourites of mine, and i hear a lot of common musical ground with Gypsy.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Gypsy was well done and with variety. Heavy prog rock. One more on the heavy side you might like.

http://sool4jo.tistory.com/search/sundown

LOGIN / REGISTER TO BE ABLE TO COMMENT ON POSTS + VOTE TO SEE HIDDEN LINKS

« Return to General Metal Discussions