Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » The worst song you've heard by an artist you like?
vaalkoth wrote:I could list a few entire LP's I consider abominations, but I may ruffle a few feathers:

Anthrax "Among The Living"
Exodus "Fabulous Disaster"
Savatage "Fight For The Rock"
Metallica "The Black Album"
Omen "Escape to Nowhere"
King Diamond "Voodoo"
Judas Priest "Turbo"
Scorpions "Savage Amusement"
Black Sabbath "Technical Ecstasy" + "Never Say Die"
Mordred - anything by that crap band
and
Razor without Sheepdog on vocals.

I understand why some of it is hated (Black Album, Turbo,Savage Amusement), but whaaaat? Among The Living, Fabulous Disaster ? ?
Is ATL where they "sold out", or is it because you never liked Anthrax?
I used to hate Razor with Bob Reid singing, but 5 years ago, I heard live versions and the guy kills exactly like Sheepdog.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 328

Judas Priest - "Wild Nights, Hot & Crazy Days". My favorite band ever, but what a terrible song.
Chile (cl) Male YouTube  

Topics Solved: 0

vaalkoth wrote:I could list a few entire LP's I consider abominations, but I may ruffle a few feathers:
Black Sabbath "Technical Ecstasy" + "Never Say Die"

There were several records on your list that i could have taken issue with, but your choice of these two Sabbath albums gives me the opportunity to refute a perception that i see far too often concerning these records.
Now i'm not gonna claim that Never Say Die & Technical Ecstasy are misunderstood masterpieces, or the equal of their illustrious predecessors, but they are far from being the turkeys that their reputations suggest.
The band themselves must take their fair share of blame for that perception, as they themselves talk these albums down in interviews, so it's little wonder that they get very little love. I wonder though if their own opinion of the finished albums is clouded by the chaotic/drug-fuelled atmosphere they were created in, and their very unhappy memories of that time in the band's career.
Granted, there are some poor songs on those albums which bore little or no resemblance to the Sabbath sound of yore, (Rock 'n' Roll Doctor, It's Alright, Dirty Women), and others which although more successfully realised, stretched the definition of what Sabbath could or should play whilst doubtless testing the patience of the hardcore fanbase.
If you take those albums on their own terms however, there's some fantastic material spread across these two discs, that could have been combined to make up a single album that was (almost) the equal of those records which came before this era.
In no particular order:

'Never Say Die' is a catchy yet resolutely heavy uptempo rocker which kicks all kinds of arse, & was also a hit single at the time. It boggles my mind that they didn't resurrect it to play live when the group reconvened, as any other band would have used it as a set opener.

'You Won't Change Me', begins with a classic doomy Iommi riff before taking off in a surprisingly melodic, yet still melancholic direction, then undergoing several almost prog-like transformations before arriving at a memorable chorus that shows off the bands oft stated love of The Beatles. Tony solos like a god throughout the song, and you can really hear his progression as a player from the group's early days.

'Hard Road', another hit single in it's day, is a reflective mid tempo rocker, with the lyrics recalling ten years of road warrior living & it's resultant toll on the band. It's not reinventing the wheel in any way, but with it's persistent groove & memorable chorus, it's very easy to like.

'Back Street Kids' is a short but sweet mid-paced groover, lyrically reflecting the bands roots, with an odd but memorable jerky chorus built on a proggy Iommi riff. I could live without the parping synth on the bridge section though, it dates the song badly.

'Gypsy' is an interesting one, it's propelled along by an unusual Bill Ward drum pattern before arriving at a bizarre section that reeks of 'rock opera' as if they'd been listening too much to 'War Of The Worlds' or the like on the tour bus. The lyrics are pretty awful, and the keyboard accompaniment is far too loud in the mix, but once again Iommi saves the day with some incredible lead guitar.

'Air Dance', does the loud/quiet dynamic perfectly, with the darkly melodic parts enlivened by a trilling piano counterpoint that works perfectly. The surprising jazzy turnaround at the end is very un-Sabbath like, but again works brilliantly, with Iommi (sounding like he's playing through a Leslie speaker cabinet), peeling off some crazy Zappa-esque runs.

'All Moving Parts (Stand Still)', is an opinion divider, built as it is on a funky Butler bass line that must have stuck in the craw of rabid Sabs fans back in the dark days of disco. However, there was always an inherent funkiness & a jazzy swing that was unique to the Sabbath rhythm section, it's just that here they underline the groove for once. The song then barells off into the unexpected tempo change of the unusual 'I like choking toys' section. Yes, it's experimental stuff, but to me, it works.

'Swinging The Chain' is probably the most traditionally Sabbath-like tune on 'Never Say Die', though here Bill Ward takes the lead vocal, (doing a fine job actually), with Oz relegated to playing harmonica & doing backing vox. Iommi's filthy guitar tone from the olde days is present & correct & the song has attitude, swagger & a chorus as cathy as Chlamydia. Granted it goes off at several odd tangents towards the end, but it does so without dulling the impression of that initial verse/chorus combo.

Over the years, the instrumental 'Breakout' has grown on me quite a bit, and would have made for a great WTF? album opener for my imaginary 'best of' of the two albums. Built on an insistent downbeat loping riff, some bright spark enlisted a horn section to play over the top for some reason, but it actually works somehow.

'She's Gone' is a beautifuly understated slice of acoustic/orchestral melancholia that doesn't sound a million miles away from the mood Ozzy nailed a few years later on his solo masterpiece 'Revelation (Mother Earth)'. Again, the lost-love style lyrics are likely to divide opinion, but the atmosphere is typically Sabbath, if not the execution.

'Junior's Eyes' is perhaps the most under-appreciated song in the Sabbath canon, but i consider it to be one of their finest pieces of work.
Built on a downbeat groove, which betrays some of that 'Sabbath funk' i mentioned earlier, with Ozzy's amazing vocals soaring over the top, it's an absolute tour-de-force. The lyrics, written by Butler, but concerning Osbourne's fathers recent death, are devastating & Oz imbues them with all the gravity you'd expect of such a personal number. He may never have sung better. Iommi, yet again provides the perfect foil, echoey & tasteful in the verses and darkly sorrowful on the chorus. Despite the bleak subject matter there's also a surprisingly uplifting epic feeling to the song that leaves a lasting impression long after it comes to it's thunderous conclusion.

Sorry i got carried away with the song-by-song dissection, i shouldn't have went on at such length, but i really do feel strongly that these albums just don't get enough of a fair hearing.
As Iommi told Guitar World in 1992,"It was really a no-win situation for us. If we had stayed the same, people would have said we were still doing the same old stuff. So we tried to get a little more technical".
It was a time of departure & experimentation for the band, and perhaps if they hadn't been so distracted by the drugs/deaths/divorces and legal woes at the time they could have been more focussed in fully realising the potential within the songs i earmarked, but considering they were dealing with all of those issues at the time, much of what went on those records holds up surprisingly well if you're prepared to give it a chance & a little time.
Rant over, (you'll be delighted to hear).
(thanks)
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

Canadaspaceman.....

Yes I despise the "Among The Living" album by Anthrax. It's just so happy, it's happy thrash. I never liked all the fun in it. Same with Exodus. They hopped on the Anthrax bandwagon and started wearing bermuda shorts and acting like idiots. And the album covers got worse and worse after "Pleasures..." (which is a GREAT album!). But i HATE that song "Toxic Waltz"!!!!! Puke! And "Imminent Impact" is pathetic.
But I always have and always will HATE that Anthrax album. After that they did all that rap shit and ugh, I gave up completely. I still LOVE the debut LP with Neil Turbin and Danny Lilker in the band! "Armed & Dangerous" is ok and "Spreading..." and some great tunes and some average ones.
Banned
United States (us) Male
Name: Mikael Vaalkoth

Topics Solved: 6

I don't really "hate" this song/album, but it's disturbing for Annihilator
He should have settle his accounts with his wife on solo project (like Metallica, Atrocity... in the same period)
Bringer of Steel
France (fr) FemaleFemale 

Topics Solved: 4

Witchfinder General - Music
Judas Priest - Take On The World
Tygers of Pan Tang - Silver & Gold

Because they're all unbelievably stupid songs.

And yes, I know Tygers of Pan Tang did far worse stuff after Spellbound but since I stopped liking them as a band by then that doesn't count.
Netherlands (nl) Male 
Name: Robbert

Topics Solved: 0

« Return to General Metal Discussions