Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Ghost vs. Hell as a live act
Everywhere that I go, all I see are Ghost t-shirts. People who think they are in the know say that the band is great and that they are heavily influenced by Mercyful Fate. I checked them out, and they seem to be very theatrical, and a little gimmick based. I wasn't all that impressed. On the other hand, there's Hell. A lot of the same people who talk about Ghost, don't even know who Hell is. The band's legacy makes them legendary. Those who are unaware of the legacy, say that Hell is influenced by Mercyful Fate. Those truly in the know, know that many of Hell's songs predate the Mercyful Fate debut. Anyway, I think I know where most on this blog fall on this, but I'm gonna pose the question anyway. Which band is better live, Ghost or Hell?
United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 14

well I've seen them both supporting candlemass (with J. Langquist btw) and there is no comparison..I wasn't too familiar with neither's music but throughout ghost's set most of the crowd was chatting and enjoying their beers while hell really earned our attention and made me look into their music much more thoroughly..By now , I am really looking forward to another hell's concert but I couldn't care less if i ever see ghost again..
Greece (gr) Male

Topics Solved: 91

I saw live material by both Ghost and Hell on you-tube. I have the bonus DVD that came with Hell's "Curse & Chapter." Their live presence on DVD just blows me away. I haven't seen them in person. I have seen a large number of bands live during the 33 years that I've been listening to metal, and can honestly say that I haven't seen a band that grabs an audience the way Hell does.
United States (us) Male

Ghost B.C. is a total disgrace to Swedish metal, let alone the lame Gothenburg melodic death metal bands that were also spawned.
United States (us) Male 

Topics Solved: 0

Am i the only one who thinks Hell are silly and tedious?
I feel much the same about Ghost funnily enough.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

I saw Ghost last year. They were okay live -- really nothing special though. Blood Ceremony was the opening act & a much better show IMO.
The novelty of their costumes wears off pretty quickly & I the mask seemed to slightly impair the lead singer's voice. Kinda surprised that they've made it so big. Also, couldn't figure out why there was a mosh pit at the concert...

Topics Solved: 1

There used to be a time when the mosh pit would wind up to coincide with an appropriate riff. Now when I go to shows, I see a lot of people moshing to music that isn't even mosh worthy. Very strange. I remember the good old days of doing the Toxic Waltz at an Exodus show or being in the pit at a Nuclear Assault show. Now that music was most definitely mosh worthy.
United States (us) Male

Ghost is a joke...
Bringer of Steel
Greece (gr) MaleYouTube 

Topics Solved: 2

I never bothered to check out Ghost, maybe I did for 1/2 a song once.

Knowing that hipsters like Ghost, and I personally KNOW of some pretend metallers/ripoff assholes that like GHOST, makes me NEVER ever want to know anything about them.

What I both hate and like the most about that band, is the many different re-issues of their records,and stupid people buy them all like they are valuable collector pieces.

I don't like HELL too much, but yes, they deserve all the respect for being ahead of their time.
Because of this thread, I will dig out some of the old downloads I grabbed with their demos/single to check out again.
I remember some people were not too happy because when they finally returned and made an album, it was with a new singer.
Sounded alright to me.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 327

« Return to General Metal Discussions