Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Issue with Modern Metal
I have a real struggle getting into new music. I love System of a Down, The Darkness and John 5, I think they are the only 'new' artists that I can think of. Can anyone help explain why? I love NWOBHM and heavy metal from 1970s to 1990 but from 1990 onwards it becomes difficult for me. If it's a release by an old band, I may like it but a new band formed 1990 or later I have a real hard time getting into. Maybe it is nostalgia of the past that sucks me into the older music or maybe the fact that since 2000 people are stuck and do not know what to do next. Such as the fashion industry recycling the past and attempting to make it "better". Any ideas?
Australia (au) Male
Name: Axle

Topics Solved: 0

I mostly have the same experience with metal, except when it comes to local bands. I spend a lot of time listening to New Zealand bands and going to gigs, so I eventually find a few bands that I really like, and I'm more likely to know when they're releasing albums. What do you think of Razorwyre?

I think there's a lot of reasons. Older bands were pushing boundaries, playing wildly with feeling, and the production is a bit raw. Their music is often a lot catchier and memorable, maybe because they wanted to find success with radio play and major labels, or rock 'n' roll was a bigger influence. Newer bands tend to either have sterile/thick & technical production, or they deliberately make it very raw, and not many use clean vocals.

Apart from NZ bands, the newer metal bands I mainly listen to are ones like Eagle Twin, Northwinds (France), Looking Glass and Hospital of Death.

Also, how about some rock bands like CKY or The Dead Weather?
New Zealand (nz) Male YouTube  
Name: Paul

Topics Solved: 4

Razorwyre is quite good, probably the only one I like out of the list. Thank you for taking the time to research those bands for me. I knew the name CKY looked familiar, I like their song "96 Quite Bitter Beings". I just downloaded an album by Visigoth called "Final Spell" and it's pretty good. I also like Lost Society (Finland) and Enforcer (Sweden). ReinXeed is pretty good, especially the cover album!

I think you've got it right there, the rawness and really trying to become successful is missing. Now bands can use the internet but back then bands had to work hard and gig extensively. I remember reading that either Mötley Crüe or Guns N' Roses had rented out a room, lived in it for a few months writing music and living off of pizza. Nikki Sixx had to boil his bass strings as he couldn't afford new ones. The music now seems to be to clean/overproduced which is not what rock music was ever about.

A lot of the new stuff just hurts my ears and to me isn't very melodic.
Australia (au) Male

It wasn't research as such, just mentioning some of the newer bands I listen to! I agree about melody... each decade has its own trends, and I guess hardcore punk & groove metal influences are to blame for where we are now.

Another possible reason is that I've spent countless hours listening to many of the old rock and metal bands that everyone talks about, so I haven't had a lot of time to listen to newer bands and find ones I like. That will change, because I've almost finished my mission to listen to every artist I ever planned to hear more of or download in better quality. Not only metal and classic rock, but punk, pop, and (mostly 90s) alternative rock as well. (shocked)

You hit the nail on the head, I think groove metal stuffed things up, I don't know much about hardcore punk as I only listen to Dead Kennedys. Has hardcore punk had a big influence? Metalcore, deathcore, grindcore and nu metal are the other subgenres that along with groove metal that have done a lot of damage to the music industry.

I have done the same, where people are listening to the new bands, I seek out the bands from the 1970s and 1980s. I still have a long way to go as there are so many great bands out there but I have to sift through all the crap ones too haha. I do like some punk, pop and classical music. I really dislike the term 'alternative' metal and 'indie'. I don't think it explains the music well enough :-P
Australia (au) Male

For me the 80's was overally the biggest era in music, from metal to pop, from Manowar to Sisters of Mercy, from Celtic Frost to Duran Duran. As much as I love the 80's traditional metal more than anything else, I can dig some stuff outside metal and even some modern alternative rock/hard rock which peoples label as "metal". It all dependens of how you categorize the music.

Maybe my problem is the same as yours, the 'imagery'. Peoples nowdays tends to go and say nonsense like "I hate a bigger hair than yours and a bigger music collection. Therefore you're poser" or "So, you're wearing a Venom T-Shirt... What's crono's favourite color, your dumbass?? Answer!!".

And again, this "poser" word is getting on my nerve...

Maybe also because of the music industry trying to make money. Listen to a typical 80's metal record. Now listen to one modern metal (true metal) from big names like Roadrunner or Nuclear Blast. It doesn't have the same recording methods, the same "feeling" like it were 30 years ago. I know there are still many independent labels releasing old school metal right now, but there's many skilled metal bands today, like Sabaton.

Well, don't know if you're tolerant against the words "metal" and "modern" being used together, but there's a very good band which is labelled as metal and play some sort of pop/avantgarde/experimental music: Faith No More. Obviously you have heard of them. I think "Angel Dust" is a 90's masterpiece (evils)
FORUM MOD!
Brazil (br) Male 
Name: Mauro

Topics Solved: 9

Motorised wrote:Has hardcore punk had a big influence? Metalcore, deathcore, grindcore and nu metal are the other subgenres that along with groove metal that have done a lot of damage to the music industry.

Yeah, hardcore punk is where the "core" in metalcore, deathcore & grindcore comes from. Some old school hardcore sounds melodious and catchy to my ears, particularly the UK 82 stuff. On the other hand, one of the oldest and most influential hardcore bands I dislike the sound of is Minor Threat... it's just so monotonous I can hear melody dying, haha.

I do love some other non-metal from the 1980s as well. I try not to categorise music but it can pretty hard sometimes. The reason I don't like the terms 'alternative and 'indie' is because they don't really explain anything about the music.

That really annoys me when people do that sort of thing. I think a lot of people don't think I'm a metalhead because of the way I look. I wear the shirts and jumpers but apart from that I don't look like a metalhead. I really couldn't be phased as to what they think mind you but it's the stupid mentality of some people. Then you have the Black Bride Veil fans, they didn't invent the look, the style or the attitude. Marilyn Manson, Twisted Sister, Kiss, Alice Cooper, W.A.S.P. and so were doing it years ago. The 'poser' term is stupid, all the people who like the genre should get along. The whole point of getting into the scene is the love of it but also to be anti-conservatist and to be different. I do dislike it when people start saying that one genre is more metal than the next or that one genre is not metal.

The music industry gets on my nerves at times. I'll have a listen to Sabaton. The soul and rawness is missing from the new releases. The music industry annoys me when they release box sets but put a heap of stuff on it that I already have and put a couple of tracks that were unreleased up until that point (a bit off topic I know).

I don't mind if "metal" and "modern" are used in the same sentence. I cannot believe Faith No More have been labelled metal. Are they at all metal? I have heard a few of their songs but they're far from metal. I'll have a listen to "Angel Dust".

I thought metalcore, deathcore and grindcore came more from death metal, mind you it all comes back to punk/hard rock/blues. I'll have a listen to UK 82 as well. Silverchair did a cover of two Minor Threat songs, I think it was that band, the covers were really good but I didn't care for the originals. It might have been Black Flag actually but you get what I'm on about haha.
Australia (au) Male

This thread made me curious about how many of the overseas artists I listen to were established in the last 12-15 years or so. As expected, it's a really small amount, and about half are things like solo projects of friends or noise music.

While I'm doing that I figure I should link to some more bands, not necessarily all metal, so here you go! The House of Capricorn, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, 1989, Inepsy, The Family Curse

Also, how about some new rock bands formed by older musicians, like Chickenfoot or Them Crooked Vultures?

Haha, if bands were established in the past 12-15 years I have a smaller list as well. I like The Darkness, I used to really like Marilyn Manson, System of a Down, Jet (first album), The Living End (early) and Grinspoon (early), mind you those aren't all really 'metal'.

1989 is more of my thing. Inepsy - See You in Hell! and Street City Kids are definitely my thing! I get a big Motörhead vibe from them. I'm not sure if I like Chickenfoot "Big Foot" or Elephants - Them Crooked Vultures. I have tried listening to local (Australia) material but I just can't get a kick out of it. Although I do really like Black Magesty who are from Melbourne from memory.
Australia (au) Male

I've seen a good variety of Aussie metal & rock bands live, usually when they pop over to Auckland. I saw 1989 in Brisbane, too bad they've gone inactive after 1 album. I saw Black Majesty once but it's not really my thing. In Malice's Wake were quite good I thought, and the band Killrazer did a great job of backing Paul Di'Anno.

I like Sacred Reich haha, there was a video on the side of YouTube for them. That seems to be a thing in Australia, where a lot of bands don't last. I tried In Malice's Wake and Killrazer but the vocals aren't clean enough for my liking. In Malice's Wake's vocals sound very much like Teutonic thrash metal. I love The Angels and Bengal Tigers but they're older bands. Maybe there are no new artists from either Australia or New Zealand that I care for :-/
Australia (au) Male

How about another rolodex of links... I was slow to get into NZ metal because the bands using clean vocals were almost non-existent. Now along with Razorwyre above, some others have appeared since like Sonic Altar, Jealous Itch, Made in China, Arc of Ascent, Beastwars and Osmium.

You're listening to the wrong kind of ''new'' bands, if old-school metal is your favourite kind of music.

Check out:
Enforcer (Swe) Heavy/Speed
Skull Fist (Canada) Heavy/Speed
Engraver (DNK) Heavy/Speed
Ambush (Swe) Heavy/Speed
Screamer (Swe) Heavy Metal
Cauldron (Canada) Heavy Metal
Axxion (Canada) Heavy Metal
Skelator (USA) USPM

Just to name a few new bands that are keeping the spirit alive.
Denmark (dk) Male 

"Metalcore, deathcore, grindcore and nu metal are the other subgenres that along with groove metal that have done a lot of damage to the music industry."

What on earth do you mean?
(what)
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

riptorn wrote:"Metalcore, deathcore, grindcore and nu metal are the other subgenres that along with groove metal that have done a lot of damage to the music industry."

(what)

Maybe if enough bands representing those genres get popular and sell loads of albums, the market gets flooded with similar
stuff. I would call it damage too, since I don't like those genres.
 Male

CloudsofMetal wrote:
riptorn wrote:"Metalcore, deathcore, grindcore and nu metal are the other subgenres that along with groove metal that have done a lot of damage to the music industry."

(what)

Maybe if enough bands representing those genres get popular and sell loads of albums, the market gets flooded with similar

I take your point, and i'm no fan of those styles of music either, but the flooding of the market whilst a certain style of music is popular is hardly a new thing, nor is it confined to those particular sub-genres.
I'm old enough to remember when Thrash rose to prominence and the labels ran out & signed any old band who could play fast, then the same thing happened with the glam scene after Guns'n'Roses hit big, then with the grunge bands and death metal to an extent as well.
It's long been part of the music industry's tactics to do this in the hope of trying to cash in on any scene's popularity, but (by and large), only the best bands from that particular genre have the staying power to last and transcend the 'gold rush'.
As for all these '...core' style bands, i only hope that they might serve as a 'gateway drug' that will lead the young fans to discover the wider (and far better) world of Metal in time.
Very few of us rush out to buy a troo-cvlt underground Metal classic as our first record, we tend to be introduced to that world via something popular (for me it was Kiss and AC/DC), and as we hear more and our tastes develop that lifelong obsession is born.
So if Bullet For My Valentine or whoever eventually leads just one person to eventually discover the likes of Witch Cross or Cirith Ungol somewhere down the line, maybe they're not so bad after all.
It's just their music that is. (hehe)
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 92

Sonic Altar, Jealous Itch and Made in China are better.

I think you're right "ChrissyCaution".

These are amazing:
Enforcer (Swe) Heavy/Speed
Skull Fist (Canada) Heavy/Speed
Screamer (Swe) Heavy Metal
Axxion (Canada) Heavy Metal
Skelator (USA) USPM - The soloing on the song "Agents of Power" is awesome.

(metal2)

Cauldron (Canada) Heavy Metal - isn't too bad.

Engraver (DNK) Heavy/Speed - I can't tell if I like them.

Ambush (Swe) Heavy/Speed - is this the band from the early to mid 1980s?

riptorn wrote:
CloudsofMetal wrote:

(what)

I take your point, and i'm no fan of those styles of music either, but the flooding of the market whilst a certain style of music is popular is hardly a new thing, nor is it confined to those particular sub-genres.
I'm old enough to remember when Thrash rose to prominence and the labels ran out & signed any old band who could play fast, then the same thing happened with the glam scene after Guns'n'Roses hit big, then with the grunge bands and death metal to an extent as well.
It's long been part of the music industry's tactics to do this in the hope of trying to cash in on any scene's popularity, but (by and large), only the best bands from that particular genre have the staying power to last and transcend the 'gold rush'.
As for all these '...core' style bands, i only hope that they might serve as a 'gateway drug' that will lead the young fans to discover the wider (and far better) world of Metal in time.
Very few of us rush out to buy a troo-cvlt underground Metal classic as our first record, we tend to be introduced to that world via something popular (for me it was Kiss and AC/DC), and as we hear more and our tastes develop that lifelong obsession is born.
So if Bullet For My Valentine or whoever eventually leads just one person to eventually discover the likes of Witch Cross or Cirith Ungol somewhere down the line, maybe they're not so bad after all.
It's just their music that is. (hehe)

For me, these genres have no melody, the vocal isn't clear. They take their influences from hardcore punk & groove metal. I can't stand either because for me there is no melody. Half of the album "Cowboys From Hell" was brilliant.

If Plácido Domingo and Luciano Pavarotti sung and got a guitar virtuoso with a brilliant drummer I'd be in heaven.

I'm not too phased about what is popular, what is flooded into the market but it's depressing that hardcore punk and groove metal influenced so many bands. I'd be more than happy with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath carbon copies. I personally cannot hear any melody in the music that is why I said that. I do not hate the genre nor do I hate the people that listen to it, I just think it made an adverse affect on the music industry.

Of course flooding of particular genres metal or not, is not a new concept. The record companies have caused a lot of problems I must admit. They produced many bands that sounded the same and just flooded the people with crap which is how we got Poison and other pop metal groups, which became the demise of heavy metal in the mainstream realms. I hope that younger people look back the better bands too.
Unfortunately that is the case and unless we are exposed to other material then most people will listen to mainstream popular rubbish. I must admit some of Bullet For My Valentine's riffing and soloing is quite good but nothing superior.

I'm just saddened that there is a lot of crap out there and talented bands got pushed aside. Tokyo Blade is one that always comes to mind, their first album is a masterpiece.
Australia (au) Male

Motorised wrote:Ambush (Swe) Heavy/Speed - is this the band from the early to mid 1980s?

Nope it's a new band with the same name. They just released their debut demo.

Check em out at
https://www.facebook.com/Ambushsweden?fref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/ambushsweden

Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1419

I am very impressed. I thought metal in general was just at a downfall. The vocals are great too! Clean and high, just how I like them!
Australia (au) Male

« Return to General Metal Discussions